Recommendations for classic bolt action rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy y'all, I'm seeking a bolt action rifle with the following criteria:

- older than me ( - magnum .30 cal (.300 Winchester, .300 H&H, .300 Weatherby, etc)
- original wood stock
- don't mind a few dings and scratches from hunting use
- ~$800-1,000 price range

I've looked at the Weatherby Mark V that were made in West Germany, the Winchester Model 70, the Colt Sauer, etc. Those are all attractive, but the price on some of the pre-'64 Winchesters are astronomical.

I've also seen some custom jobs made from M1917 Enfield actions. I have an M1917 and I know how stout the action is. I understand the Model 30 was a civilian rifle made by Remington from all the surplus M1917 actions leftover from WWI, but all the ones I've seen are .30-06.

No doubt some of you have opinions on these older bolt action rifles. Let's have it!

Only commercial rifle I have that is that old is an original Savage 110. Remington came out with the 700 in the early 60's as well, but I'm not sure you are going to find many of them in magnum calibers. You may be able to find a post-64 Winchester in that price range. There are a lot of of sporterized military rifles that may fit the bill for you if you can find a well done one. I have a couple of custom rifles that were built on 1909 Argentine actions that are to pretty to even think about taking hunting.

If that's what you want, you will have to keep saving. A pre-'64 model 70 would be the most collectable. As you are aware, even a real banged up rifle commands big bucks.

One of the first high powered rifles I ever purchased was a Remington 700 BDL in .300 Win. Mag. back in 1972. It has the old Fleur de lis impressed checkering. What makes it collectable is it has a blued Stainless Steel barrel. (Not blackened like S&W did to a run of 686's back in the early 80's). Back in the 70's Stainless Steel wasn't as accepted as it is today. People back then thought Stainless guns and barrels looked "unfinished".

Rust is a part of the bluing process, and Stainless Steel won't rust. So what Remington did was first plate the Stainless Steel barrel with carbon steel. They then blued the barrel with a conventional rust bluing process. It was a very expensive procedure to go through. Which is why they made so few of them. The gun is as beautiful and accurate today as the day I bought it new back in April of 1972.

Here is what I would do. Look for an old 30-06 Husqvarna made commercial Mauser and just get it rebarreled to 9.3x62. It was a successful African caliber for many years. And if you reload you can use 30-06 brass.

As others have said, the other option would be a new Winchester 70 that is the original controlled feed type. Or you could get a CZ which a classic action as well.

I have a Sako Finnbear bolt action 30-06 that is from the 60's, it's a great rifle. I haven't priced them out in a long time but a good one should be in the price range you are looking at.

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
It looks like an old Weatherby Mark V can be had on Gunbroker for around $900. Anybody have an opinion on those?

I am just that big on push feed rifles. I like a controlled feed rifle instead. They are nice guns though, but for me nothing beats a Mauser style action.

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
It looks like an old Weatherby Mark V can be had on Gunbroker for around $900. Anybody have an opinion on those?

I currently own 2 Weatherby Mark V rifles. A Mark V Deluxe in .460 Weatherby Magnum. And a Weatherby Mark V Accumark in .338-378 Weatherby Magnum. I also have 2 Weatherby Vanguard Models. One stocked in Walnut in .30-06, and the other is a synthetic stocked model in .300 Weatherby Magnum.

All are very accurate, dependable rifles that I would never part with. The Mark V Deluxe action operates like a Rolex watch. I've operated and shot custom rifles that were nowhere near as smooth, and cost several times as much. If you can find yourself a nice used Weatherby Mark V Deluxe you won't be disappointed. Most are not cheap, but they have been well taken care of. You don't see very many beat up Weatherby's. At least nowhere near as many as you do Remington's and Winchesters.

I have a Mark V deluxe .240...wicked tool.

Mine came all set-up from the factory (mounted Weatherby glass)and with a target shot at 100yds..vintage aprox. 1992...

Does anyone know who mfg'd the Weatherby scopes? 3x9x44 I believe.

Have it for sale at the local bait store $1,650.00

Since the 300 Win. Mag. Is only a little older than you (introduced in 1963), finding a rifle chambered for that cartridge will prove both difficult and probably expensive since there just aren’t that many. Both the 300 Wby. Mag. and 300 H&H have been around much longer so rifles in those calibers made before 1969 will be somewhat more common.

Pre 1969 rifles chambered for the 300 Wby. Mag. will be pretty much limited to Weatherbys.

Older rifles chambered for the 300 H&H will be expensive since they are built on the larger magnum actions due to the longer overall cartridge length.

Not many mil surplus rifles have been customized to 300 Mag. calibers since the larger cases require bolt face, and perhaps extractor and magazine modifications.

Overall, I’d say it won’t be easy to find what you are looking for in the $800-$1k price range.

If you do find what you are looking for, you'll need to clean it with Hoppes or Outers products since those were about the only gun cleaning products easily obtainable at the time.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back