Recommendation for new Subaru

A friend recently bought an Outback after her Ford Edge was totaled. What oil filter would you experts recommend? Supertech now has a 7317, and of course there are the Frams. Do these meet Subaru specs?

A friend recently bought an Outback after her Ford Edge was totaled. What oil filter would you experts recommend? Supertech now has a 7317, and of course there are the Frams. Do these meet Subaru specs?
Why not go with dealer bulk and OEM filters?

There was a recent TSB from Subaru. Something about supply issues on their OEM filters.
If it’s hard getting the OEM filters, WIX/NAPA Gold and Purolator have filters that match the requirements of the OEM filters.
WIX 57055
NAPA Gold 7055
Purolator PL14615

Driven Subarus for years and have used mainly Wix 57055, Napa Gold 7055, and Purolator 14615 filters. All are correctly spec'd for the higher Subaru bypass requirement. Currently I'm working through a stash of Purolators (I quit-like many-using Purolators due to the reported media tearing issues, but have had no issues with the current filters.) Family has 3 Subarus in our fleet currently, so I get a lot of first-hand experience. In my opinion the quality of the Wix/Napa filters and the Purolators trump the Subaru oem which looks like the Fram orange can inside.

I’m using the O’Reilly’s MicroGard Select oil filter. They’re application-specific for Subaru with a rounded gasket, correct bypass relief, etc. I recently posted one here. If you get them on their oil + filter deal they’re less. Depending on your year/model the one I use may not be the same for you, but any they sell for Subaru are application-specific.

Last edited:
Driven Subarus for years and have used mainly Wix 57055, Napa Gold 7055, and Purolator 14615 filters. All are correctly spec'd for the higher Subaru bypass requirement. Currently I'm working through a stash of Purolators (I quit-like many-using Purolators due to the reported media tearing issues, but have had no issues with the current filters.) Family has 3 Subarus in our fleet currently, so I get a lot of first-hand experience. In my opinion the quality of the Wix/Napa filters and the Purolators trump the Subaru oem which looks like the Fram orange can inside.

No personal experience on this one but I have read most felt the Subaru OEM was a tough guard like filter not orange can. What led you to believe it was similar to a orange can (extra guard)?

No personal experience on this one but I have read most felt the Subaru OEM was a tough guard like filter not orange can. What led you to believe it was similar to a orange can (extra guard)?
Not cut one open personally, but just looking at online pix of others who have. I still have a personal preference for metal end caps. I'd use the Fram Ultra in a heartbeat if the bypass pressure was correct. Again, not preaching at anyone, just my personal preference.

Not cut one open personally, but just looking at online pix of others who have. I still have a personal preference for metal end caps. I'd use the Fram Ultra in a heartbeat if the bypass pressure was correct. Again, not preaching at anyone, just my personal preference.
There’s been multiple threads on this; not trying to change your mind per se but just to relay: the OEM filter has a given bypass spec, which is partly dictated by the flow rate of the media. It’s surmised that the OEM media is quite restrictive, which is why it’s got a 23.4psi (kind of a misnomer, since springs have an “off the seat” and fully open differential pressure) bypass filter. The Fram XG media has been tested and flows very well; that means for a given flow rate, it will have a lower differential pressure than an equally loaded OEM material.

That said, I’ve used all the filters you referenced and the Ultras, and never noticed a difference. I usually use the 3593A size wherever I can fit it.

The Suabru forums are fans of the Japanese produced Mazda filter. Correct PSI. It's what I use on the wife's 22' Outback. Amazon. About 13 bucks.

Mazda (N3R1-14-302) Oil Filter Cartridge​

There was a recent TSB from Subaru. Something about supply issues on their OEM filters.
If it’s hard getting the OEM filters, WIX/NAPA Gold and Purolator have filters that match the requirements of the OEM filters.
WIX 57055
NAPA Gold 7055
Purolator PL14615

I currently have 80k miles on my 19 Crosstrek running mainly a Purolator One and Mobil 1 5w-30 EP with no problems. Not sure what engine you have but, don't go more than 5-6k on an OCI without testing. I went 9,200 on an OCI and th UOA had fuel dilution at 2.8% so I won't be doing that again.

I got my 22 WRX in May so I have read with interest about subaru being short on the right filter and substituting. I ordered the oem 15208aa170 because that's what the car had on it from the factory. The owners manual doesn't list the filter. Just says to take it to Subaru. I did an initial change then got a free one at the dealer later. They used this filter also. I did note however that the Ascent on the showroom, same motor, uses a blue filter but it appeared to be the same size. Plenty of the black ones are available to order.

Attachments

• 20230114_102355.jpg
    20230114_102355.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 28
Back