Recommendation for an '02 Avalanche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all. Recently (last week) picked up an '02 Avalanche at a price I couldn't pass up. I bought this from my father and he is the original owner. Has 240,000 miles (at least 60% are highway miles) on the 5.3L Vortec, always had quick-lube oil changes (walmart, jiffy-lube, etc.) - so always had dino oil and cheap filters and was never changed till OLM came on. Engine is in great shape though, no leaks, drips, no smoking, etc. Only loses 1/2 quart or so between changes. Never used for hauling, towing, etc. General family vehicle application with many highway trips.

With the vehicle history being laid out - I need a recommendation for a good oil. I've already picked up a Fram Ultra for it, but going to wally-world (i hate that place, btw) for oil this evening. Don't mind spending a little more for a syn or hm (or both), but want some thoughts on this one.

Last edited:
240,000 miles
"Engine is in great shape though, no leaks, drips, no smoking, etc"
"Only loses 1/2 quart or so between changes"

Why would you deviate from what's obviously been working?

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

Because my dad is a cheapskate - using whatever is cheapest, even though he's got more money than he can spend.

I, OTOH, prefer to use higher-quality lubricants and filters where I can. I want to try and maximize engine life and plan on 'driving it till the wheels fall off'. lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
240,000 miles
"Engine is in great shape though, no leaks, drips, no smoking, etc"
"Only loses 1/2 quart or so between changes"

Which also goes a long way to show that about 90% of what goes on here is complete over-thinking and over-analysis.

Pick an oil and pick a filter and use it. It really doesn't matter at this point.

For the last couple of years, I've been using the same oil/same weight in everything... from 2 Chrysler T&C's, to 2 trucks with the same engine as this Avalanche, to a Ford V-10 powered Coachmen motorhome.

Congrats on the acquisition!

FYI, if your Avalanche is like my Silverado, it uses 6 quarts per oil change - which you may want to factor in since you'd need to buy a 5 quart jug and an extra single quart. Those single quarts of synthetic are expensive at WM!

PYB or QSGB 5W-30 would serve you just fine without breaking the bank.

Looks like there are a few Menards around St. Louis. When they have their oil sales, just pick up a case at a time (2 oil changes, since not using oil).

Any of the SOPUS oils they carry will be just fine.

It sounds like the engine has done fine on "whatever" oil. I would pick a decent conventional and a good filter. (I use mostly Wix/NAPA Gold on my 5.3.) Then see how the OLM responds to your driving pattern. My '01 Silverado has ranged from 2200 to 5900 miles depending on the weather and how I drove it. Of course, the current oil in 2001 was SL.

If your dad is a cheapskate, did he ever change the trans and axle fluids? Your 2002 might still have drain plugs in the trans pan and rearend. It might also have a fuel filter on the frame rail.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
If your dad is a cheapskate, did he ever change the trans and axle fluids? Your 2002 might still have drain plugs in the trans pan and rearend. It might also have a fuel filter on the frame rail.

Suprisingly, he has it checked regularly by his mechanic (who has his own full-service shop), and it's in great mechanaical shape. I'm not sure if the other fluids have been changed semi-recently, but the do get checked regularly and topped-off if needed. I'll have to ask him about that.

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
Congrats on the acquisition!

FYI, if your Avalanche is like my Silverado, it uses 6 quarts per oil change - which you may want to factor in since you'd need to buy a 5 quart jug and an extra single quart. Those single quarts of synthetic are expensive at WM!

Yes sir, 6-qts. I did see, as WM, Castrol HM at a pretty good price. Just something to think about.

Quote:

^ this. Change the diff fluids. I like Amsoil SVG 75w90 or Valvoline Synpower 75w90. Also drop the tranny pan and change the filter and add 5 fresh quarts. Pickup 2 extra quarts and service the transfer case as well. If they still have frame mounted fuel filters in 02 as mentioned above change that out as well.

As to engine oil, use whatever you want. these days they are all so good you can basically go to walmart and pick the color of bottle you like best. A decent 5w30 conventional or Synthetic with that fram ultra will serve your 5.3L well. If your walmart has maxlife Full synthetic id get that!
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Hard to beat PYB, or MaxLife, or Formula Shell, or really ANY SN name brand 5W30 should work fine. If it's clean inside, you could even go 2 7500 mile OCIs on an Ultra, easily.

Any SN 5w30 will work perfectly fine for the OLM intervals, even dino. That said, I like to get the cheapest syn on sale for OLM cars.

You could even use the Smitty's that occasionally goes on sale for Kmart for $8 a jug.

I think you're asking for trouble if you switch to a full synthetic at this point. Go with a blend and still follow the OLM. Even the Ultra is likely overkill, a TG is plenty unless you're going to double stint it. When and if oil usage becomes an issue, switch to a HM oil.

I'd go with either supertech, Quaker sate or valvoline high mileage and a wix or tough gaurd filter and continue with the olm that 5.3 has a lot of life left but going with the highest price oils and filters at this point isn't going to add any more years to it. Flush all the other fluids diffs and transfer case if 4wd and rad and power steering I hit all mine a few months back very easy job on one of these. Transmission however was a pita so if your comfortable with it go ahead if not pay someone just a pan drop and filter change.

Originally Posted By: Lawn_Care
Because my dad is a cheapskate - using whatever is cheapest, even though he's got more money than he can spend.

Think your dad achieved that level of wealth by spending money? Nope.

He followed the OLM, minimized expenditure, and based upon your own admission, has achieved excellent results -- nothing wrong with that.

Thanks for the tips and advice, all. Will find out more about when the other fluids were last changed out, but going to need them all done i bet.

As far as the oil, seems there is no need to go overboard. Doing some research on that 5.3L Vortec, it should run for at least another 100,000 miles with a little tlc.

Your going to need GM Autotrak fluid, not ATF, for the transfer case in this vehicle.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08

Quote:

^ this. Change the diff fluids. I like Amsoil SVG 75w90 or Valvoline Synpower 75w90. Also drop the tranny pan and change the filter and add 5 fresh quarts. Pickup 2 extra quarts and service the transfer case as well. If they still have frame mounted fuel filters in 02 as mentioned above change that out as well.

As to engine oil, use whatever you want. these days they are all so good you can basically go to walmart and pick the color of bottle you like best. A decent 5w30 conventional or Synthetic with that fram ultra will serve your 5.3L well. If your walmart has maxlife Full synthetic id get that!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: mjk
Your going to need GM Autotrak fluid, not ATF, for the transfer case in this vehicle.

Point noted, thanks for that mjk! I have the OM, but haven't investigated that far yet.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 3311
Defy 5 or 10w30.

Ah - another fine choice. I want to go with a HM oil (for obvious reasons), and that one always seems to show good UOA's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back