Recommendations for 2010 Camaro V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious as to what oil/filter combo you guys would recommend. Keep in my, the OLM reaches 0% at 10,000 miles. This is my fiancé's car, and seeing that I rarely drive it, I'd love to just go by the OLM. Makes it very easy for her to see when it needs an oil change.

Her brother picked up some oil for the change last time. Castrol GTX Syn-Blend with a Fram Tough Guard Filter. Probably going to do a UOA (just out of curiosity as I've never used the Syn-Blend) at 5,000 miles...then go ahead and drain it at 6,000.

Car has just over 33,000 miles on it and it's about a 60% highway/40% city car.

Thanks in advance guys!

I would be running a premium synthetic if your goal is 10,000 with a fair amount of city driving. Pennzoil Ultra, Mobil 1 EP, Castrol Ti are fine choices. I happen to like the PU.

Filters: Bosch D+, Fram Ultra, Mobil 1.

I wouldn't run 10k on that V6. It is pretty much the same engine that is in our Acadia and we can't make it past 5k on a PAO synthetic. All the UOA's show the oil being shot.

If you want to go that distance I would highly suggest you get a UOA to see how far you can go. Especially since these V6 engines have timing chain issues.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I would be running a premium synthetic if your goal is 10,000 with a fair amount of city driving. Pennzoil Ultra, Mobil 1 EP, Castrol Ti are fine choices. I happen to like the PU.

Filters: Bosch D+, Fram Ultra, Mobil 1.

Agreed on the premium synthetic being necessary.

And I believe out of that bunch Mobil 1 is the only on that offers a filter for this application. Neither Distance+ or the Fram Ultra pull up a filter on their respective websites.

What I could do is stick with something like a Wix Filter and change it when the OLM reaches the 50% mark. Would still be cheaper than buying a single Mobil 1 Filter.

I agree with ChrisD46: anything dexos and a P1 filter. I love the textured grip on them!

There is nothing wrong with using Castrol Synblend for the OLM's suggestions.

The cheapest oil that meets dexos1 still meets dexos1.

Does that Camaro have DI? I know the DI engines were recalled to recalibrate the OLM since it's rather hard on oil.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Anything Dexos1 rated and a Pure One oil filter .

I don't believe the 2010's have to be Dexos rated...or am I wrong?

And I did find the PureOne filter online for $12.62. Pretty solid choice, just kind of a pain having to order it.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Mobil 1 in the viscosity the manual recommends(5W-30?) and either an AC Delco or Fram Ultra oil filter.

Yes it does recommend 5W-30.

I don't really have any experience with the AC Delco filters. How does everyone like them? I see you use one.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
I wouldn't run 10k on that V6. It is pretty much the same engine that is in our Acadia and we can't make it past 5k on a PAO synthetic. All the UOA's show the oil being shot.

If you want to go that distance I would highly suggest you get a UOA to see how far you can go. Especially since these V6 engines have timing chain issues.

I have heard that these DI engines are pretty tough on oil...I guess we'll see.

And yes I definitely plan on doing UOA's to determine how far we need to be going with the oil/filter combo that we decide on.

Napa Synthetic and a Napa Gold filter, if you're for synthetic. Being 2010 it doesn't have to be Dexos compliant. 5K-6K synthetic OCI's seem fair on those 3.6 engines

Originally Posted By: clintonhutson

What I could do is stick with something like a Wix Filter and change it when the OLM reaches the 50% mark. Would still be cheaper than buying a single Mobil 1 Filter.

That would be a smart move unless you want the engine full of varnish at the end of 100K.

GM don't care what the engine looks like with the 10,000 mile OCI, they just want to sell you the car.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

That would be a smart move unless you want the engine full of varnish at the end of 100K.

GM don't care what the engine looks like with the 10,000 mile OCI, they just want to sell you the car.

That is very true. What would your suggestion be?

Oil Life Monitor at 50% or 6 months -- whichever comes first.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Oil Life Monitor at 50% or 6 months -- whichever comes first.

I'm starting to think that this might be necessary. I'm going to send the Castrol GTX SynBlend that's in it now off for testing (just out of curiosity, as I've never used the oil), at 3,000 miles, and then drain when Blackstone suggests.

After that I will be going to Pennzoil Ultra and an AC Delco filter (changed twice during OCI). See where I can comfortably go with that oil.

Hi,
I am the tech director at FRAM. The TG filter is the best filter is currently the best filter we offer for the car, an Ultra model will be released late Jan 2014.
That said, I would not go more than 6k OCI on that engine regardless of oil or filter used. DI fuel pumps put lots of strain on the cam and roller system that drives the DI high pressure pump. See my video on youtube (Cadzillals6) on DI for more info.
GM has also had issues with timing chain stretch on these cars, it is a very expensive repair. Complex engine, needs good oil and quality filtration for long life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Motorking
Hi,
I am the tech director at FRAM. The TG filter is the best filter is currently the best filter we offer for the car, an Ultra model will be released late Jan 2014.
That said, I would not go more than 6k OCI on that engine regardless of oil or filter used. DI fuel pumps put lots of strain on the cam and roller system that drives the DI high pressure pump. See my video on youtube (Cadzillals6) on DI for more info.
GM has also had issues with timing chain stretch on these cars, it is a very expensive repair. Complex engine, needs good oil and quality filtration for long life.

Very informative! Thanks a ton!

I am glad to see that you guys will be adding the Ultra, as I've used them countless times and I am thoroughly pleased with them.

I also agree with you that the OCI's more than likely need to be shorter. As stated, I will have some UOA's done to find the sweet spot for the OCI.

Thanks again.

Ok guys...well decided to go the cheaper route since she is still trying to decide if she wants to keep the Camaro or get a truck. SuperTech Synthetic 5W30 and a Fram TG filter went in on Saturday.

I plan on following the OLM. Will take it down to 25%-30% this time around, get a UOA, and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back