Recommend A Good Push Mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I have always bought those cheap( new ) $99 mowers w/ B&S engines like you see at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc... Ran them hard and abused them for a bunch of years then replaced w/ another. They always started easy and despite neglecting maintenance and such they ran like a Swiss watch. The bodies would fail( not the engine )which is what lead to scraping them and getting a new one.

I decided a few years back however to buy a good mower that would last and to take care of it. Bought an expensive Troy Built w/ Honda motor at the local Lowe's. What a TURD it has been and I absolutely HATE it. If I hadn't spent as much as I did I would have run over it with my truck a few times and thrown it out.

From day one( literally )it had a huge oil leak due to a damaged cover on the engine. Repair shop tried to blame me and told me I overfilled the oil which was [censored]. It was packed dry from the factory with a bottle of the correct amount to add. Maybe an ounce or something over but it was spewing oil like the Exxon Valdez. They claimed to have run it on the bench for an hour after draining and refilling the oil with no leak. So I had to pay $100 as warranty wouldn't cover "operator error".

Got home and went to mow and 2 minutes into mowing I see the oil still pooling on the top of the oil deck as it had been. Back to the shop where they take it in and look at it and find the damaged cover where it is leaking( which clearly shows they DID NOT run it for an hour on the bench ). Fixed it and submitted warranty claim.

Troy Built doesn't do the engine warranty but they are the ones who register the engine warranty with Honda when the customer registers with them. Troy Built screws up and registers it as commercial use and not personal so the warranty for some reason does not cover the repair despite it being there from the start. NO help from Lowe's, Troy Built, nor Honda.

The shop sends me a bill for the $120. I end up in a big fight with them and point out they billed me for work NOT done and I was prepared to go to court and fight. They finally dropped it. The oil leak was finally fixed so at least the nightmare was over( or so I thought ).

This mower flat out stinks. BIG TIME! Have had it in to the shop( different one )because things break all the time( on their own )just mowing my simple little yard. Have to use starting fluid to start it and it runs like [censored].

I am just waiting for it to explode and then I will go buy another cheap( probably $150'ish now ) mower with a B&S engine. Never again will I buy a Troy Built, Honda, or any yard equipment from Lowe's.

Sorry for the rant. Apparently the therapy sessions about this failed to resolve my latent feelings of anger and frustration over the situation.
crackmeup2.gif

Troy Bilt went down the sewer when MTD got a hold of them. They manufactured some of the best tillers in the world when they were an independent company. MTD bought them for their reputation, expanded the line, and turned it all to junk. Nothing more than a name now, and Troy Bilt products are generally always shared with the other lines, either Cub Cadet or Yard Machines. They just change the plastic and paint and present it as a different product. Cub Cadet's story is basically the same.

Cheap ($100) MTD mowers with all steel decks and the basic Briggs engines are decent for what they are. The more expensive products are not. The most basic Toros and Lawn Boys are exponentially better mowers for not much more money.

And the self-propel system on Troy Bilt push mowers is the most screwed up cluster**** I have ever seen. Complex and cheap with lots of plastic; a recipe for failure.

I once had a Troy Bilt back pack blower. What a noisy POS - I haven't considered Troy Bilt since.
Oh - the Troy Bilt starter rope rewind mechanism broke. It was molded within the plastic housing. When I inquired about a replacement piece (housing with rewind), they said they couldn't help me on the part but do advise buying another blower. I did - I bought an Echo.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
I once had a Troy Bilt back pack blower. What a noisy POS - I haven't considered Troy Bilt since.
Oh - the Troy Bilt starter rope rewind mechanism broke. It was molded within the plastic housing. When I inquired about a replacement piece (housing with rewind), they said they couldn't help me on the part but do advise buying another blower. I did - I bought an Echo.

You can buy the replacement housing/starter assembly, but for the cost and effort involved in replacing it you are better off throwing the thing away.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

Troy Bilt went down the sewer when MTD got a hold of them.

That is a fact.

MTD is banking on the name recognition alone. We all know the truth to that one though.

Another impressive Troy-Bilt product was their Garden Way built lawn/garden tractors from the late 1980's to late 1990's. Great machines. Now they're just red/black MTD products.

Joel

It makes me sad what MTD did to the Cub Cadet line. I'm a big IH fan and love the older cub cadets, especially the red ones from they built right before MTD bought them. I was at an antique tractor show a few weeks ago and saw some great restored lawn tractors...cub cadets, allis chalmers, massey furgesons, and some old wheel horses. They all had their own great designs. Now everthing is built by the same few companies and theres not really much to differentiat one from another. John Deer is about the only one left

Yeah there's something about an old Cub Cadet that the new ones just can't duplicate...all that thick steel, real manual transmissions, and cigarette lighters. Most fun I've ever had on a mower was driving a late 60s Cub.

My buddy has an old Jacobson, late 70's model I think with a hydraulic raising mower deck and hitch. We have some fun with that thing:) Hes currently using it to drag trees around on the land he just bought to build his new house:)

I have had a few briggs and they have worked good. I recently bought a new one from sears, a craftman silver series 158cc. I got it on sale before purchasing my house i had in the garage in box fr like six months. From day it has been tough to start. Took it to sears anf of course started on the first pull so they told me "remember to prime it" thanks for the info. When i start it it usually smokes up and spews black oil through the meffler. I checked level and its fine, not over filled. I have given up on it so know i even run the fuel for my trimmer in it what ever will ignite. Here is where it gets me, i and some freinds where going to mow a baseball park by a school in our neighborhood and of course it started on first pull and ran through 2 straight tanks of fuel cutting tall grass and wet in some parts no problem. It just loves to prove me wrong

I don't care what the dipstick says, if it blows oil of the muffler on start up, the level is too high... Run it at approx halfway between add & full, problem will likely disappear... You can store it with the cylinder slightly high and that should keep oil of the cylinder, but basically it has too much oil in it...

BTW I suggested same to another poster and his problem disappeared...

Gentlemen, pull up a chair and have a seat. Back in 1996 I bought a brand new John Deere push mower. Model 14PZ. It came with a rear discharge chute, bagger, and a mulcher blade. It cost $159. I still use it. The mulcher blade is long gone but I still use the bagger and chute both. It starts on the 1st or 2nd pull every time, and has been in to the small engine fix it place once for a minor repair.I change the oil in it every fall before putting away for the winter. Gets a new air filter and spark plug at random intervals. I wished I owned as many acres as this machine has covered. From what I've heard, Deere is getting out of the walk behind outdoor power equipment. Wished I could get a woman to stick around that long!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back