recommend a dino oil for Canadian winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Synthetic oil may be better, but it really boils down to how healthy your battery is when it's -25C and colder.

@pickler, some Walmart stores are carrying the 4.73L PYB for less than $14 a jug. There is Castrol conventional in the 4.4L jug for under $14 also.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
How do those millions of poor Canadian engines survive every winter on 5W-30 dino? They must be blowing up and wearing out in droves. I'm sure there will be a news story soon.

ha ha yeah I don't even plug in my truck. I plug in my car when it's below -25c warms up faster for the wife and kid.

I was just at a Walmart super centre and I only saw PYB in 5L jugs for $27. No 4.4L jugs.

How do those millions of poor Canadian engines survive every winter on 5W-30 dino? They must be blowing up and wearing out in droves. I'm sure there will be a news story soon.

People use block heaters... But really an oil pan heater much better as it heats the oil to around 170+ F along with the entire engine. The most important thing is the have thinner oil on cold start up. Cold starts cause so much wear on our engines in canada.

Originally Posted By: zpinch

People use block heaters... But really an oil pan heater much better as it heats the oil to around 170+ F along with the entire engine. The most important thing is the have thinner oil on cold start up. Cold starts cause so much wear on our engines in canada.

I've only ever started up our Tracker once with 5W30 dino at -32C without plugging the block heater(at a hotel) and I'm not eager to do it again. It just sounds terrible... Lots of hydraulic groaning and chattering from the oil pump. It had to be doing some damage.
Last winter at -32C with 5W30 syn and a block heater, it was almost like a normal start, slightly slower crank over, but started right away with no noises.
Anyways for the GTA, I would still get some 5W30 syn on sale, and run it a bit longer, say 50%, and never have a worry even with the odd -25C unheated start.

Exactly. We all know that oil comes from Dinosaurs (they all migrated to Saudis Arabia after they retired and died there...kinda like Humans go to Florida to die. In a million years, there will be oil called Floridazoil and people on BITOG will be calling it "Humo" oil) and Dinosaurs have high fat content. Dino oils are higher in fat over synthetic oil and will therefore keep your engine warmer in the winter. Think about it...Do you ever see a dinosaur freezing to death in Canada? So there you go.

On dino, that poor engine will be done by April...
57.gif

Use "synthetic" or synthetic and as an added bonus you will sleep better at night.

On a serious note, your oil choice, provided you follow what's in the owner's manual, has nothing or very little to do with how long the engine will last.
Regular OCIs and not letting the oil level get too low is what makes the engine go the distance.

Last edited:
No dino in the cold! Especially Canadian cold! I run Amsoil Sign. Series in the winter time for it's low temp flow properties and a less expensive synthetic (usually Penzoil Platinum w/ Pure Plus) in warm weather months. The oils rarely are needed to be changed but I sleep better at night so I'm okay with that. But always recycle the used oil!

"Use "synthetic" or synthetic and as an added bonus you will sleep better at night"

We at BITOG should only use science and therefore only care about how our cars sleep at night. Dino oil with it's fat content is like a blanket and will keep your car warm so it can sleep better at night. Have you no empathy?

Originally Posted By: zpinch

I haven't seen a block heater in my life (seriously). It is not popular at least in Southern Ontario.

I wouldn't use 5w30 mineral oil in Canadian winter, oil/fuel is cheap in North America. I would just drink one less Tims coffee, spend few bucks more and get quality synthetic.

We get one abnormal winter last year for most of North America and people are worried.
OK so it may get colder that -20C once every 50 - 100 years in Southern Ontario for a few days. Most of the time during a cold snap (artic blast) -18 to -20C is the coldest temperature we get during the night. For our American friends that around 0F. No big deal. In the 60's and 70's people were using 10w30/10w40 with no problems.

Originally Posted By: pickler
I was just at a Walmart super centre and I only saw PYB in 5L jugs for $27. No 4.4L jugs.

The PYB special passed a couple of weeks ago so if you are lucky and find a WM with a 4.73L jug then you will get it a sale price.

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW
We get one abnormal winter last year for most of North America and people are worried.
OK so it may get colder that -20C once every 50 - 100 years in Southern Ontario for a few days. Most of the time during a cold snap (artic blast) -18 to -20C is the coldest temperature we get during the night. For our American friends that around 0F. No big deal. In the 60's and 70's people were using 10w30/10w40 with no problems.

Well said.

However, some provinces in US are colder than Southern Ontario in winters. In ND, people usually see -30C/-40C in the winter.

Can't find this PYB 4.73 or 4.4L bottle amywhere. Tried 3 walmarts. I'm just gonna go with GC 0w-30 and for next time I'll stock up on a sale. Lesson learned.

Originally Posted By: abycat

ha ha yeah I don't even plug in my truck. I plug in my car when it's below -25c warms up faster for the wife and kid.

I plug in my truck every day. It almost immediately starts blowing warm air thus lowering my warm up times prior to driving.
It'll stsrt unaided at -40 however at idle it takes 40 minutes to start blowing warm air.
The pennies I spend in electricity saves me dollars at the gas pumps.

Originally Posted By: dgunay

Yea the new name is Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0w-30

Thanks. It sure could be.

The Esso version was more definite about being PAO based - but maybe that's just the "modern trend" - more mixed bases, and say as little as possible.

Greetings....
While I agree with your last sentence, the rest is factually incorrect. It does in fact get colder than -20c much more often than "once every 50-100 years in Southern Ontario" (I can't believe I actually had to write that) Anyhow, most people are not worried when this happens, it is winter after all and pretty much what you expect.
Just in a search from 1990-94 showed temps past -20c and some below -30c. I believe the coldest recorded winter in S/O was 1971-72, I could be wrong, that falls at about 43yrs ago.
The data is all online to see.
I understand that you are embellishing for dramatic effect due to the topic, it seems to be par for the course here.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back