Recommedation for .45ACP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCI

Looking for recommendations on a .45ACP to meet specific criteria.

Light weight preferable
DA/SA is essential
Feeds critical defense/hollow point ammo reliably
Likely to fit smaller hands well
Highly reliable under severe environmental conditions

Any thoughts?

Magazine capacity is not a primary consideration. If the other criteria were met, just about anything will work.

HK USP Compact. Not the most compact (smaller hands might have trouble) but arguably the most reliable under adverse conditions.

I've got an HK USP Compact .45, and also had a Taurus PT111 Millenium Pro .45 as well.

The Taurus definitely fits your small hands criteria, as I could literally cover the entire gun with my outstretched hand with fingers together. IMO it met everything on your list because I carry Federal Guard Dog ammo which feeds just like an FMJ. It shot well, has the multiple Taurus safeties and slide lock, and was actually a decent gun for the money. I'd still have it if I had not let my buddy carry it because he was installing DirecTV in bad parts of Gary, and had a couple drinks on the way home. Turns out his carry permit was expired, and the cops confiscated it.
frown.gif
This one carried 7 rounds.

The HK... well, really doesn't need any introduction. I've been carrying it for 15 years now, never had a jam or FTF. I use the HK 45C magazines to pick up two extra rounds, bringing it to 10. It's a little heavier than some but you know without a doubt, if it clears the holster because you're in fear of severe bodily harm, it WILL stop the threat. Only downside on this is the typical HK high prices compared to competitors... but isn't your life worth it?

Originally Posted by dippschtick
HK USP Compact. Not the most compact (smaller hands might have trouble) but arguably the most reliable under adverse conditions.

Haha you beat me to it, I was typing my long-winded response as you jumped in. I have a Hogue overmolded grip on it with small finger grooves which seems to help even smaller-handed people that I have let shoot it get good purchase on it. I totally second the reliability part, I like having an actual hammer instead of just striker-fired, and have probably 4000 rounds through it and can still empty a mag into a silver-dollar sized hole at 20'. I've considered picking up an HK45C as well.

well, my out of the box suggestion is single action only: a ruger blackhawk convertible revolver with cylinders in 45lc and 45acp. built like a brick outhouse. politicaly correct in any locale. no magazines to lose. goes bang every time with any flavor of ammo. 45lc is a thumping hoot, 45acp is cheap fun. old school: "an elegant weapon for a more civilized age."

That Blackhawk convertible is on the list of guns I'd like to have, there's a lot to be said for it, all good.

But in this case the DA/SA is fairly important, low weight and relatively compact size is very important. Reflecting upon the high-quality participation here, I'm realizing that magazine capacity might be more important than I initially thought, as well.

Not for you?

Correct. This is for a flanker, so the more I think about this, the more I'm thinking about magazine capacity vs. weight. It's a trade-off, more so with the .45, and I appreciate all of the participation here thinking through that.

The round is ideal for the nature of the threats and the range at which we are likely to encounter them, but the overriding or determining factor is that .45 is inherently sub-sonic.

So ultimately, as long as it's .45ACP and as long as it ends up being the particular weapon that properly and comfortably fits the individual, I'm probably going to be OK with it. The DA/SA is my preference for safety and reaction time because we're always by definition going to be in a reactive posture and I am almost always in front of the person using this handgun that we are in the process of selecting.

Any further thoughts?

[align:right][/align]i was actually looking for a decent 45acp semiauto until i decided to spend a couple hundred dollars more to get a blackhawk, which is the one that "spoke" to me. of all the semiauto 45s that i handled and looked at and priced and read about, the philippine-made ati seemed to be the best value for a new pistol. i also found some decent gb.com deals on police trade-in beretta px4, which seems like a solid piece. i don't know if either of these two 45s meet o.p.'s desired specs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back