Reclaimed Oil for push mower.

I have a Briggs and Stratton 19.5hp riding mower. Its got one of the engines with a paper air filter and oil filter. I change the oil every year and the filter every other year because I'm cheap. I'm taking the pressure washer and blasting the dirt off the oil dump pipe pipe plug, loosen it a quarter turn and blast it again and dump it, catching the 1yr old 20w-50 oil and saving it for the push mowers. I mark the container saying that it's reclaimed oil.
I would say the oil that comes out isn't black, it's more like it's tinted.
The oil stays filters with a fram synthetic endurance oil filter so it should be fairly clean.

I think the original poster is pursuing false economies. The oil on small engines is subject to high operating temperatures. It can take on water. There is no hierarchy of used oil going from one engine to another. You should be buying inexpensive new oils from Amazon probably. A five quart jug might last you half a decade and your oil will protect the whole time. If you are that cheap, you could probably push the oil through two seasons.

I have a Briggs and Stratton 19.5hp riding mower. Its got one of the engines with a paper air filter and oil filter. I change the oil every year and the filter every other year because I'm cheap. I'm taking the pressure washer and blasting the dirt off the oil dump pipe pipe plug, loosen it a quarter turn and blast it again and dump it, catching the 1yr old 20w-50 oil and saving it for the push mowers. I mark the container saying that it's reclaimed oil.
The oil stays filters with a fram synthetic endurance oil filter so it should be fairly clean.
Penny wise and dollar foolish. Your actions make no sense to me.

Always use fresh oil. Reusing old oil is a bad habit to get into.

OP, clearly you kicked over an ant bed. They are extremely concerned about the health of your push mowers.

They are not thinking about WMO or heating oil or using it as a wood preserver either but lets focus on the health of the push mowers. Tell us more about the push mowers.

OP, clearly you kicked over an ant bed. They are extremely concerned about the health of your push mowers.

They are not thinking about WMO or heating oil or using it as a wood preserver either but lets focus on the health of the push mowers. Tell us more about the push mowers.
I’m definitely thinking about the wood preservation - but it’s going to be spiking Thompson’s with oil I won’t put in any motor 😷

Not a big deal. If the OP wants to save the oil that's just fine. Those small engines thrive on neglect anyway and chances are it will run for a very long time. Some people just add new oil to mowers because they are fairly inexpensive to buy from rummage sales etc. and most people could care less. Personally, I take pride in my riding lawn mower and change it every year with a good synthetic. To the OP it's just fine you are trying to save a little money here and there. If you do the same with many other instances the savings add up quickly.

Back