Recent tire purchases...all good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
from tirerack:

Kumho ASX for '95 BMW 325i convertible
Falken Ziex for '86 BMW 325es
Bridgestone Revo 1 snow tires for'05 Subaru Outback
more Bridgestone Revo 1 snow tires for another'05 Subaru Outback with tirerack 16" alloys
Kumho AS795 for '96 Chevy Corsica
Firestone Winterforce studded for '04 Honda Element
------------

Bridgestone W965 snows for '05 Silverado Duramax from Denver tire dealer

------------

from Discount Tire:

Goodyear Tripletred for '02 Ford Escape

-----------

From Wal Mart [ of all places, because they lost my new tires ]

Michelin Hydroedge for '05 Subaru Outback on 17" alloys from tirerack
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Guess what? All these different tires have been great!

And the inexpensive alloy wheels from tirerack are very nice.

I have no complaints with the quality of the tires, or with balancing them, or with how ell they peformed relative to their reviews, surveys, and my application.

Hey it's sunny out today too!

I get cheap tires too, even different brands if they're similar in speed rating and treadwear. I have not been disappointed by the cheapest $27 40k mile Multi-Mile Apex tire... it's soft rubber and blocky tread hold in most conditions. I know where they sacrificed design-- life expectancy-- and that's fine for my beater truck.

Only tires that ever got on my nerves were some 80k mile rated Sonar rock-hard junkers that were horrible in snow.

I figure today's bargain tire is light years ahead of the bias ply stuff that came on 70's musclecars.

Proper inflation and decent suspension setup have more to do with a car's handling. I can feel the difference between an independent rear suspension and live axle... it isn't all that hard... Give me IRS and cheapies over a 90's explorer with Michelins.
smile.gif

It sounds like you made all good choices. Good grief, how many rides do you have? I bet tirerack is loving your right now...

quote:

Originally posted by kkreit01:
It sounds like you made all good choices. Good grief, how many rides do you have? I bet tirerack is loving your right now...

Thanks! I think the point of my post was that all these tires delivered good results and good value.

We have a large family, so lots of vehicles, and I try to make sure that all of them are as safe and reliable as possible. I do look at cost but only when I'm sure that the tires meet my goals for the vehicle.

I think the tirerack surveys and reviews can be very helpful.

Also some of the less expensive tires, like the Kumho ASX, seem to provide very high levels of performance in a wide range of perfomance categories.

Nowadays, my taste in tires runs towards high performance, but affordable, all season tires with long tread life, very good rain performance, good light snow performance, and well balanced dry road performance.

Since we drive in the Rockies, we drive long distances and 75 mph and can hit snow even in July on the mountain passes.

Every vehicle that runs in the winter has dedicated wheels and top rated snow tires, but I still need snow performance from the summer tires.

quote:

You dont rotate tires on BMW, per the design, which takes its toll.

The falken ziex/E30 BMW combo is a good one... did you use 195/60 or 195/65???

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:

quote:

You dont rotate tires on BMW, per the design, which takes its toll.

The falken ziex/E30 BMW combo is a good one... did you use 195/60 or 195/65???

JMH

225/45-16 on Borbet Type C wheels

Are you sure about the source of the Falkens? Tirerack does not sell Falkens. Discount Tire does.

quote:

Originally posted by ccs2k1:
Are you sure about the source of the Falkens? Tirerack does not sell Falkens. Discount Tire does.

You are correct sir! I knew that , but typed in the wrong info.
banghead.gif
crushedcar.gif

The Falken Ziex 512 came from Discount Tires Direct or tires.com with free shipping. These are a very good tire for the money, IMHO.
grin.gif

5000 miles on the tires, quiet, handle well and consistent, good wear so far, good in the wet.

I'm really impressed with how good all these tires are, even the inexpensive brands like Falken and Kumho which I would have avoided in the past.

About the only tires I haven't liked recently are the Bridgestone RE-92's that came stock on both of our 2005 Subaru Outbacks. Those tires failed to impress in any area, they stink actually.
thumbsdown.gif

And the studded Winterforce are quite good for cheap but only until tread wear approaches half tread depth ...then they are 4 season tires and fall off badly as snow tires.

Too be fair I don't know of any snows that work well past half tread depth , but the Winterforce became quite a handful to keep on the road in a snowstorm. We had two identical cars on a long ski trip in a snowstorm and the difference between new Bridgstone Revo 1's and 12K old Studded Winterforce was incredible. One car was safe and a pleasure to drive, while the other one required thousands of corrections on keep on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back