Recent 3 day hot weather tire review.

Hermann

Site Donor 2023
Went on a 3 days trip recently in very hot weather. Twice during the trip the poor excuse for tires on the Maverick Hybrid actually slid sideways on the pavement, on a tight curve at about 30 mph. In my 51 years of driving this has never happened to me before. Are OEM tires actually that bad or just these Conti's ProContact Tx are so poor.

OEM Continental tires are garbage.
When my parents bought their 2013 Escape they thought there was something wrong with the steering rack because it wondered so bad. Turns out it was the OEM continental tires traimrailing terribly.

the OEM Continental ContiProContacts weren't that bad on my Tiguan.

Are the ProContact TX that bad? Tirerack survey says they are decent enough
1688666168706.jpg

Maybe the Maverick Hybrid isn't a great handler, especially with the bed empty

Went on a 3 days trip recently in very hot weather. Twice during the trip the poor excuse for tires on the Maverick Hybrid actually slid sideways on the pavement, on a tight curve at about 30 mph. In my 51 years of driving this has never happened to me before. Are OEM tires actually that bad or just these Conti's ProContact Tx are so poor.
Apparently traction was not important to the vehicle manufacturer.
Blame Ford, not Continental.

Krzyś

Had these on the '18 Accent as O.E.M.. 185/65-15 (H) . Did well , especially for rolling resistance , which would benefit the hybrid MAVERICK . These tires are very common for new cars from the manufacturers . They started at 9/32s' for the ACCENT . Replaced at 4/32s' with the RT43 (H) rated 185/65-15 . The ride is better with the 43s' . The TX are lined with foam to help quiet the noise level ( ContiSilent ) . They have been known to be defective ( RECALL ( NHTSA ) certain TX sizes ) possibly because the foam bunches causing vibration . They are rated 2+1/2 stars at the CONTINENTAL site . Pictures from car owners are included .

Last edited:
Continental will deliver to Ford whatever Ford requires.
Tire Rack and Pirelli some time ago had very good explanation about the difference between Pirelli Scorpion Verde and Verde+.
Basically, Pirelli said "Scorpion Verde" is OE tire that you get on your X5, M, Q7 etc. "Scorpion Verde+" was Pirelli aftermarket product that Pirelli developed to meet their priorities not the priorities of the vehicle manufacturer. Plus was absolutely better tire in every aspect, except, rolling resistance.

Never before have I just slid off the side of the road. Those two days it was in the low 100°s. Early in the day the tires worked well but about noon the greasy feeling returned. By next spring these are going bye bye.

I did the same with the yokohama g91f and g95a on my 2011 and 2015 foresters.
and they were likely better tires than those OE contis.

What is the road like and how are other cars you drive on it? Have they done work to it recently? I have a decently long stretch of 2 lane each way by me. All my cars starting feeling real weird driving on it. Twitching, feels like sliding in turns etc. the cars do move in the lane. They had done a "crack filler" tar thing all down the road. When it gets hotter it is like a grease slick but on alternating tires depending on the line.

4 vehicles, 4 different tires they all do it on this multi mile section but no issue at on/off ramps etc being pushed even on the same hot days.

'17 Accord - Pirelli P7 AS+2
'19 Pilot - Michelin Defender LTX M/S
'08 CRV - Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS+2
'10 Forte - Michelin Premier A/S

Merritt Parkway in CT has sections of the road that they have a different road compound for a bunch of the turns. High Friction Surface Treatment

What's the tire pressure for the TX on the Maverick ? Are they H or T rated or other ? Keep tires of both cars 33 > 35 ( cold ) .

Back