Received Incomplete Order: What To Do Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
I ordered several hundred dollars worth of stuff from a Subaru online parts site. All of it arrived, except for one $100 part. That same day, 4/5/18 I chatted online with one of their reps, who offered to send one out "ASAP" or to refund the cost. I still wanted the part, so I asked for it to be sent out. Mike replied:

[4/5/2018 3:09:14 PM] Subaru Online Parts said:
OK, I'll have them get that out ASAP. Once it ships you'll receive another email with new tracking info.

I haven't received any emails from them, and I haven't been online in time to chat again; they haven't responded to my previous email. I emailed again today, asking for a status update. I still want the part. My latest email mentioned how unacceptable waiting this long for a part is, considering they're based out of NY and I'm a state away! Any advice? I've had some issues similar to this, but not from a reputable site, nor have I had to wait THIS long.

Just my opinion, but I hate trying to get stuff done via instant messaging or email. I'm a phone person, so I'd try to get someone on the phone. If that doesn't work, then I'd do as PimTac suggested and open a dispute.

I used Paypal and a CC. I guess I'm wondering whether asking for some sort of partial refund would be acceptable. I still want the part. I ordered many parts at once to take advantage of the fixed shipping cost. I don't want to have to order the part from somewhere else (for more money) and pay more for shipping.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
Just my opinion, but I hate trying to get stuff done via instant messaging or email. I'm a phone person, so I'd try to get someone on the phone. If that doesn't work, then I'd do as PimTac suggested and open a dispute.

I only like chat or email, because it's a viable record. I've talked with people online, had NOTHING happen, then, when I called again later, they had no record of my concern/complaint/etc.

I emailed them the chat transcript, which was able to be saved.

I would give them a call. If no reply, take it up with your CC company.

You'll need to go elsewhere for that part. Hope in one hand...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I would give them a call. If no reply, take it up with your CC company.

You'll need to go elsewhere for that part. Hope in one hand...

Both of my hands are full of poop. Now what!?

+2 go through the credit card. You have to make a good faith effort to fix it with the merchant which you did.

The card may not immediately demand a refund from the vendor if you still think you can work things out, but you want to go on record with them, and soon!

Get in contact with them and find out what's taking so long. Is it a component they have to assemble like a assembled strut? Maybe they're special ordering it from Subaru?

No need to guess, get in contact with them by phone if possible and find out.

If you can't get in contact with them or they won't give you a reasonable explanation, you'll have to accept that you have to accept a partial order. Get your money back through the credit card company.

Chat or speak with a supervisor. Let them know the situation. If they don't back up what they say, then dispute on credit card.

It's a roll bar. They sent one, instead of two.

I've already installed the 20mm on the Legacy, and wanted to do the same for the FXT. Pretty mild, but noticeable upgrade. Kind of a pain that I couldn't do both in the same day...

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: JustN89

I only like chat or email, because it's a viable record. I've talked with people online, had NOTHING happen, then, when I called again later, they had no record of my concern/complaint/etc.

I emailed them the chat transcript, which was able to be saved.

+1

Unless it's a super deal, I'd consider shopping around for plan b. Keep in mind though without a. Informed cancellation of the part (should you order another from elsewhere), you may be subject to return costs.

It's hard to do sometimes, but you just have to figure a time to chat.

Ring them back and tell them that your going to have your credit card company cancel and reverse the transaction if you don't get the part in 48 hrs.

Let the credit card company handle it ASAP. You've given the company enough time to make it right and they haven't.

I would call them and find out what is going on. If it makes you feel better you can follow up with a “this will confirm out conversation” e-mail.

Never assume someone got the first e-mail and never assume you are chatting with an actual human being.

You probably only have 30 days to open a dispute after the charge appears on your statement, so you may want to preemptively open one before time runs out.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Was this done with a credit card? Open a dispute

^^^ That ^^^

The process couldnt be more simple, credit card company takes care of everything for you and you do not even have to think any further about it.
You can file a dispute and still try to get the part and if successful later tell the CC company its been settled. Dont over think it, let the CC company handle it while you buy the part.

I appreciate all of the input, however. I’ll call and, if that doesn’t work, chat with them again on Monday to see if this can be resolved.

Again, the shipping was a flat rate and I still want the sway bar, so getting a partial refund and having to source it for MORE money seems silly. Besides, it’s a want part anyway, not a need. This is where the root of my dilemma really lies. A part of me wants t demand recompense; a part of me wants to immediately dispute it with PayPal/CC company, but my nature is t simply bug them until I eventually get the part.

I’ve only had to dispute half a dozen charges in my life, luckily (all successful, for legitimate grievances.) I probably give people a little bit too much leeway, but I’ve so far able to (sometimes eventually) resolve most disputes via simple communication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back