Reccommend: Good, Low Cost, Self-Propelled Lawn Mower (preferably RWD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, my 3-year old Craftsman B&S 6.5HP lawn mower just isn't doing the job. It bogs down like crazy when I mow certain parts of my lawn. If it's not mowing the grass (sittin in the driveway), it runs great. I've always done regular maintenance on it. I borrowed my dad's 1-year old Toro Super Recycler the other day to compare to mine, and it didn't even flinch when I mowed the grass. I am now in search of a good self-propelled mower.

I'd like to stay under $300. I have a small lot so I don't need a huge mower. I'd like RWD just b/c that's what I always used till I purchased this Craftsman which was FWD. I don't really like the FWD. Also, it needs to be a mulcher first but I'd also like it to have a side shoot. I never bag so I can do w/o that.

Any suggestions? I liked my dad's Toro but it's over $300. I grew up with Lawn-Boys and we never had problems. Are they good? Give me your input please!

BTW, I've done all sorts of troubleshooting and testing on my Craftsman so please don't tell me to mow the grass more often or other things like that. The Craftsman is going bye-bye for sure.

I appreciate any feedback!

do you have a foam air filter on this mower? I knwo I had the same prob. sold it to my cousin and he noticed the air filter was soaked in oil. he got a new filter and runs like a champ. so might want to check that before going out and spending alot on a new mower.

I've replaced the air filter twice since I've had it. I've also replaced the spark plug, changed the oil, & cleaned the underside of the deck.

By the way, I have a couple other friends that have Craftsman self-propelled lawn mowers and they hate them also. They've told me that theirs do the same thing.

Definitely get a rear wheel drive mower. The front wheel drive mowers don't propel themselves at all well. That's probably part of your problem. Do you keep the blade sharpened? A dull blade (and they dull fairly quickly) will bog you down. So will a dirty, clogged, air filter. I have a 6.5 HP(or 6.75, I can't remember) Craftsman rear wheel drive that's at least 5 years old and have had no problems with it. Propels itself very well. Cuts well, especially since I keep the blade sharp. They now sell for about $300-$350.

I sharpen my blade on a bench grinder. Doesn't take long at all. You have to use a gentle touch and make sure you don't take more metal off one end than the other or the blade will be out of balance on the mover.

Thanks for the info jmacmaster. I have kept my blade sharp but that hasn't affected it unfortunately.

I've been doing research all day, and I think I've found the one. It's the Lawn-Boy Insight 10684. It is $340 at Home Depot. It's more than I wanted to pay but $40 isn't a big deal when it comes to the headaches I've had the past couple years with my mower.

http://lawnboy.com/productinfo/mowers/Insight/10684.html

From what I've read, it's built by Toro so it should be a pretty good mower. Usually, HD will send out credit card offers that also offer 10% discount on your initial purchase with the card. I hope I get one in the mail soon. I'd use it for sure and then just pay it off real quick. That would save me $34+tax so that right there will cover the extra $40 I'll be spending (over my original $300 budget). This mower also has a 2-year complete warranty. So, if anything goes wrong with it during the first 2 years it'll be free of charge.

If anybody has feedback on this mower, please let mek now. I'd really like to hear some thoughts.

Thanks!

I have been looking online at a couple of Honda powered Troy-Bilts at Lowes. My 6 year old Craftsman (Tecumseh 6.5hp flathead)finally crapped out the transmission this morning while I was doing the front yard. I was not amused. Add to that the deck is rusted as ****, I already have repaired it once with my MIG.

I found 2 at Lowes, one is a RWD single spd Honda OHC I think, yup. $349 I have a 10% off Lowes coupon that expires on the 27th so I am going to pick up something.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=96497-270-12AV834Q711&lpage=none

I am not a big Tecumseh fan. Fine the first year and after that a pain to start. I still have an ancient 30+ year old 19" Lawnboy 2 stroke in my shop that the Craftsman replaced.

EDIT: If anyone has any feedback on this/similar mower, I really would appreciate it, thank you.

Hey punisher, sorry to hear about your Craftsman. My neighbor actually just picked up one of those Troy-Bilts this evening. I got home and he was getting it out of the box. Although, his is just a pushmower w/the B&S motor.

Anyway, I stopped at Home Depot tonight. They didn't have the 10684, but they had the 10682. I actually like the one I found at HD better. Plus, it's ~$20 cheaper. We have a garage sale coming up in May so I'll try hard to sell it then. If I do, I'll use to money towards the Lawn-Boy I found at HD.

I have the 10682, used it last season and this one. I love it, starts on the first pull (even after sitting all winter). It propels great. My yard slopes so it really helps me out. The engine has run beautifully, but it has only been a little over a year.

I like the big rear wheels and the easy off bag. Hope you have a similar experience.

Doctor,

Thanks for the input. I can't wait to go buy the 10682. I'm going to hold off a few weeks so I can try to sell my Craftsman at our neighborhood garage sale first.

Looking forward to finally having a good lawn mower...

I watched my neighbor mow his lawn with his brand new shiny red Craftsman mower the other day. What a shame, extremely under powered and ran rough. If I didn't know better, I'd say I was listening to an old mower running. This one was right out of the box. Looks real nice though.
smile.gif

Sounds like mine GoldenRod! Mine bogs down very easily. Personally, I think it's bad deck design. My Craftsman has a B&S 6.5hp motor. When it's now mowing it runs great. But since I mulch, it just seems the deck design won't let the grass escape. I've cleaned it out underneath many times and sharpened the blade.

Like I said, I think it's bad design.

Local walmart circular had a Yard-man with a Honda engine and bagger for $288. It's front wheel drive with large rear wheels.

It might be a worthwhile compromise for that price.

I'd try to get one with the honda OHC engine. Very powerful & you can usually find one for under $300. I wouldn't buy any new pushmower with a flat-head briggs or tecumseh.

Joel

quote:

Originally posted by JAYCEE:
Local walmart circular had a Yard-man with a Honda engine and bagger for $288. It's front wheel drive with large rear wheels.

It might be a worthwhile compromise for that price.

I did the mower hunt today, and I looked at the mower you mentioned. I hit 4 different places today looking for a FWD Honda powered mower. I finally settled on a Troy-Bilt 565 just because I had a coupon and gift card from Lowes. ($245+tax final) I chose this mower because it was the lesser of multiple evils on the mower aisle. Most of the midrange $250-$400 clones are MTD products.

Started first pull but ran rich to the point of blowing black smoke out the exhaust constantly and it constantly sputtered. Ran really smooth when you turn off the fuel and let it run dry. Finally tracked it down to a air filter element so loaded with oil (sticky clear oil) it blocked airflow. I used my shop vac to suck it dry, and the mower ran beautifly. Don't know how all of that oil got on the filter but the carton was soaked with oil around the filter area as well.

I found a nice Poulan Pro ($308), RWD, Honda powered at Sutherlands, would have bought that one if I could have gotten it cheaper. Nice thick deck on that one.

Honda powered (or Robin powered if they ever make a vertical shaft engine)+ Xenoy or aluminum deck+side discharge and I will be in heaven.

I bought a honda hrx217hxa last sunday at junk depot, yeah it's the $699 one. But I had a 20% coupon and it was rear wheel drive. Looks like there's a differential under there, I wonder if it's posi
grin.gif

Punisher, the carton or mower was probably tipped carburetor-down & some oil seeped from the sump, thru the carb and on to the filter element. No worries. My honda OHC is going on yr 7 with the original airfilter and sparkplug!
pat.gif
I think I've changed the oil twice and it still looks nice and clear!

Joel

I like the big casters on the front end of some new push mowers. This is the first year I've seen these. They look handy. Anybody use one of these?

quote:

.... because it was the lesser of multiple evils on the mower aisle.

lol.gif
I know that wasn't supposed to be funny but I busted up anyway.

quote:

Don't know how all of that oil got on the filter but the carton was soaked with oil around the filter area as well.

They already had oil in it with the carb choke open; so when the mower was tipped upside down in the box by one of the Lowe's people, the crankcase oil ran out of the carb and onto the air filter.
wink.gif

Jaycee wrote:
> I like the big casters on the front end of some new push mowers . . . Anybody use one of these?

Yes, I'm on my second one. The current one is a Cub Cadet and I'm liking it pretty well. The Cub dealer had two mower types that were idenical save for color and engines: the Troy was red and used a Briggs, and the Cub was yellow and uses a Kawisaki. I bought the Cub in the fall of 2004 for about 2/3rds what they were selling in the spring.

I've since used it a lot and it's been working out pretty well. There are a couple areas of my lawn in which a maneuverable machine is very welcome. When I'm doing long stripes just move the "hoops" to the other holes and presto! It's also pretty nice in the garage or shed to just roll it from point to point or to roll sideways by simply lifting the rears off the floor.

The cut is OK, best when bagging, not so hot when mulching. Lot's of power - hammers through some thick heavy stuff.

I have two dislikes: the main one is that it's very heavy. This has nothing to do with the castors, and everything to do with the marketing department forcing upon the consumer a single lever wheel hieght adjuster on the rears. Made the deck a lot longer and heavier than it needs to be for no gain. The other thing is that the casters are high and stick up and are prone to catch on things (brush, etc) and prevent you pushing the nose under low hanging trees, bushes, etc. Oh, I guess the hard plastic rear wheels might be better, too.

I was pretty disenchanted with Briggs power plants when I bought the Cub, and the Kawi has been wonderful. I think about that nasty Briggs on the previous mower and shake my head in dismay every time I fuel up the Kawi. The fuel neck is nice and tall and open and easy to hit and the fuel pours right in without effort or spilling. The previous mower had a Briggs with that goofy streamlined top - what a royal pain just to get gas in it, bubbling and gurgling and backing up. You had to pour slow! We still have an Old Briggs 5HP on a highwheel we use on rough areas and it has a high open fuel filler neck like they used to.

The previous caster wheel mower was a Scotts brand and the ideas were good, but the implementation was maddening! Awful mower.

I hope im not to late to help with some advice but I was in the same situation looking for a good cheaper rear wheel drive mower i searched and searched couldnt find anything new that was in the price i started to search for a used mower i found a used snapper that has been great! Look to see if there is any lawn equipment repair shop near you that sells used equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back