Rebuilt transmission. Pick my ATF.

I asked what ATF they used as I’d like to change it when the warranty is up in 2 years. The tech said DexIII. I didn’t get a brand.
Dexron III is a spec, not a brand or name. In theory, Dexron III from company A, B, C, and so on should be equivalent. In reality, it's probably a multi-vehicle formulation that meets DIII spec and then some. I am willing to bet that any modern ATF that meets DIII or more is far superior to the original ATF that transmission was developed to use.

Yes.

Do you have a suggestion or are you just commenting to comment?
There's a lot of 'commenting just to comment' on BITOG...(posts that don't address the question asked).

I would use Amsoil or Mobil1 ATF and go 50 or 60K until the next change.

IF they didn't, I'd find another shop. Dexron VI is synthetic and backwards compatible and is superior to previous versions. I wouldn't trust them to take care of a lawn mower if something else was used.
Apples to oranges because the AW-4 in the cherokees is bulletproof compared to a 4L60 but it was originally spec'd for Dex III.

I've been running Dex VI in mine for the last 40K miles? I love the way it shifts with the Dex VI!

I am not exactly easy on the transmission either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m beating a dead horse I know. I took my Blazer with the 4L60E in for its 2 week look over. They check for leaks, the fluid level etc.

I asked what ATF they used as I’d like to change it when the warranty is up in 2 years. The tech said DexIII. I didn’t get a brand. It’s my understanding that the stuff isn’t made anymore and only exists in the form of multi vehicle ATF’s such as house brands and Maxlife. Of course, there’s also DexVI, but I doubt they used that.

What should I use? Of the 3, I’m leaning towards DexVI or Maxlife.
Walmart sells a ST branded Dex/Merc. I've got a couple older Ford transmissions that originally called for Mercon so I use the ST. It is pretty inexpensive as well.

I've used Amsoil, Castrol, Valvolene (all Dex/Merc) and GM brand Dex VI. Guess what? The 460LE is just prone to fail after a while no matter how good the fluid is. My Blazer is on it's second, and working on needing a third.
May just replace it with a Benz SUV for Winter driving to make Her Highness happy. I don't really need to tow or do the dirty hauling I used to do.

TES-295…

Same viscosity as Dexron III, but full synthetc…

Used in Garbage Trucks, and other industrial uses…

All the buses here, even ones with weird Voith trans or BAE HybriDrive series hybrid drives use Allison TranSynd or Delvac 1 ATF, which I saw being used by the drum.

I think that, MaxLife/DexVI or Red Line D4/Amsoil Signature is a fine choice for that Blazer.

There's a lot of 'commenting just to comment' on BITOG...(posts that don't address the question asked).

I would use Amsoil or Mobil1 ATF and go 50 or 60K until the next change.
I realize this, but when a “BITOG question” is asked, it isn’t very BITOG of one to question why the question was asked…

IF they didn't, I'd find another shop. Dexron VI is synthetic and backwards compatible and is superior to previous versions. I wouldn't trust them to take care of a lawn mower if something else was used.

I trust the shop. They are a well known place in the area and are customers of my employer.

My boss has a 1997 GM gasser 2500 dump truck that lost second gear. Towed it in and it was a bad ground. $150 fix. They’re honest.

Go to the promotions and rebates area.

Every once in a blue moon you'll see a sale for Dexron VI fluid.

Use that.

They probably didn't use Dexron VI, Very, Very few transmission shops would use Dexron VI in a 4L60E even if it was a 2005 & up unit that called for it. A cheap universal Dex/Merc works well for long enough, You have to consider spillage/waste that a busy Trans Shop has to eat on a weekly bases....That few extra dollars a quart adds up real fast.

I would judge them on build quality, Not that they used a Dex/Merc ATF.

i changed the atf in my 2003 silverado and used maxlife dexvi equivalent ,wanted to jump on the synthetic craze, works fine but i can tell it is different the way the transmission acts , if i did it again , i would leen towards old school dex iii

Back