Rebuilt transmission. Pick my ATF.

I’m beating a dead horse I know. I took my Blazer with the 4L60E in for its 2 week look over. They check for leaks, the fluid level etc.

I asked what ATF they used as I’d like to change it when the warranty is up in 2 years. The tech said DexIII. I didn’t get a brand. It’s my understanding that the stuff isn’t made anymore and only exists in the form of multi vehicle ATF’s such as house brands and Maxlife. Of course, there’s also DexVI, but I doubt they used that.

What should I use? Of the 3, I’m leaning towards DexVI or Maxlife.

There is no licensed dexron III anymore, however many manufacturers kept making the same fluid that had been previously licensed by GM as Dexron III and call it something like DEX/MERC, so if it's a reputable brand it's probably essentially the same stuff they sold back when it was still licensed, although since there's no licenses anymore and no minimum standard required to recommend your product for useage where Dex III and Mercon were called for, you don't exactly know what you're getting.

I’m beating a dead horse I know. I took my Blazer with the 4L60E in for its 2 week look over. They check for leaks, the fluid level etc.

I asked what ATF they used as I’d like to change it when the warranty is up in 2 years. The tech said DexIII. I didn’t get a brand. It’s my understanding that the stuff isn’t made anymore and only exists in the form of multi vehicle ATF’s such as house brands and Maxlife. Of course, there’s also DexVI, but I doubt they used that.

What should I use? Of the 3, I’m leaning towards DexVI or Maxlife.

Sorry, I modified my reply after I did a GOOGLE search for DEX 3.
With that stuff being like $20/L, I'd just go with Allison TES-295, there was an ex-engineer from Allison a while back that recommended in for all GM 4 speed transmissions, it's full synthetic and meant to be abused and used for extended drain intervals in class 8 vehicles, you can get a case of 4 gallons of Mobil Delvac 1 for $160 from summitracing. Essentially it's Dexron III made with a blend of PAO and group III, so it has excellent low temp pumpability, typical DEX III would have a brookfield at -40C over 15000, while DEX VI is usually around 13000, TES-295 is around 8000.

I would assume the “DexIII.”
Back when BBC tow pigs cooked DexIII - my mechanic switched to Mobil 1 ATF and issue was gone …
This is still available …

The PDS and SDS are here

I would guess using any quality oil would do the job but servicing the trans would be more important that a specific choice of oil if from a major producer.

LiquiMoly Top Tech ATF 1200.

Top Tec ATF 1200 is an automatic gear oil from the latest generation based on synthetic HC base oils in combination with the latest high-performance additives. The outstanding composition of various base oil and additive components ensures optimum stability to aging, excellent protection against wear and good friction characteristics. Top Tec ATF 1200 conforms to the requirements of numerous unit and vehicle manufacturers and guarantees perfect operation of the units even under extreme operating conditions and when exposed to large temperature fluctuations. Also suitable for extended oil change intervals.

Can be purchased at a very low price at RockAuto. I use it in my 2002 F350.

APPROVALS:​

• Allison C4
  • Dexron III H
  • Ford Mercon V
  • Honda ATF Z1 (außer CVT)
  • Hyundai SP-II
  • Hyundai SP-III
  • JASO 1-A
  • Kia SP-II
  • Kia SP-III
  • Mazda ATF M-III
  • Mazda ATF M-V
  • Mitsubishi SP-II
  • Mitsubishi SP-III
  • Nissan AT-Matic D Fluid
  • Nissan AT-Matic J Fluid
  • Nissan AT-Matic K Fluid
  • Toyota Type T-II
  • Toyota Type T-IV

LIQUI MOLY ALSO RECOMMENDS THIS PRODUCT FOR VEHICLES OR ASSEMBLIES FOR WHICH THE FOLLOWING SPECIFICATIONS OR ORIGINAL PART NUMBERS ARE REQUIRED:​

• Allison TES 295
  • BMW 7045 E
  • BMW 8072 B
  • BMW LA 2634
  • BMW LT 71141
  • Caterpillar TO-2
  • Chrysler ATF +3
  • Chrysler ATF +4
  • Daimler NAG-1
  • JWS 3309 (Aisin Warner)
  • MAN 339 Typ V1
  • MAN 339 Typ Z1
  • MAN 339 Typ Z2
  • MB 236.2
  • MB 236.5
  • MB 236.6
  • MB 236.7
  • MB 236.9
  • MB 236.10
  • MB 236.11
  • MB 236.91
  • Subaru ATF
  • Voith H55.6335.XX (G 607)
  • Volvo 97340
  • Volvo 97341
  • VW G 052 162
  • VW G 052 990
  • VW G 055 025
  • ZF TE-ML 02F
  • ZF TE-ML 03D
  • ZF TE-ML 04D
  • ZF TE-ML 05L
  • ZF TE-ML 09
  • ZF TE-ML 11A
  • ZF TE-ML 11B
  • ZF TE-ML 14A
  • ZF TE-ML 14B
  • ZF TE-ML 17C
  • 3680.jpg

LiquiMoly Top Tech ATF 1200.

Top Tec ATF 1200 is an automatic gear oil from the latest generation based on synthetic HC base oils in combination with the latest high-performance additives. The outstanding composition of various base oil and additive components ensures optimum stability to aging, excellent protection against wear and good friction characteristics. Top Tec ATF 1200 conforms to the requirements of numerous unit and vehicle manufacturers and guarantees perfect operation of the units even under extreme operating conditions and when exposed to large temperature fluctuations. Also suitable for extended oil change intervals.

Can be purchased at a very low price at RockAuto. I use it in my 2002 F350.

APPROVALS:​

• Allison C4
  • Dexron III H
  • Ford Mercon V
  • Honda ATF Z1 (außer CVT)
  • Hyundai SP-II
  • Hyundai SP-III
  • JASO 1-A
  • Kia SP-II
  • Kia SP-III
  • Mazda ATF M-III
  • Mazda ATF M-V
  • Mitsubishi SP-II
  • Mitsubishi SP-III
  • Nissan AT-Matic D Fluid
  • Nissan AT-Matic J Fluid
  • Nissan AT-Matic K Fluid
  • Toyota Type T-II
  • Toyota Type T-IV

LIQUI MOLY ALSO RECOMMENDS THIS PRODUCT FOR VEHICLES OR ASSEMBLIES FOR WHICH THE FOLLOWING SPECIFICATIONS OR ORIGINAL PART NUMBERS ARE REQUIRED:​

• Allison TES 295
  • BMW 7045 E
  • BMW 8072 B
  • BMW LA 2634
  • BMW LT 71141
  • Caterpillar TO-2
  • Chrysler ATF +3
  • Chrysler ATF +4
  • Daimler NAG-1
  • JWS 3309 (Aisin Warner)
  • MAN 339 Typ V1
  • MAN 339 Typ Z1