Transmission fluid change 2005 GMC Jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to do a automatic transmission fluid change on a 2005 GMC Jimmy. The manual specifies DEXIII "Approved for the H-Specification". What is the "H-Specification"?? I'm assuming this is now compatible to DEXVI correct?

Would this truck be a good candidate for Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc ATF? It has about 155,000KM on it and has never had an ATF fluid change done. I recently flushed my 2003 Montana with maxlife and had great results!

Amsoil ATF if you can afford it (its not really that expensive). Its in my 1993 Suburban.

Don't forget the transfer case and diff.

You will need to have the filter changed as part of a pan drop.

Did you do the flush yourself for your Montana?

If you get a flush done at a shop, they MUST as part of the flush change the filter. Don't let them snow you into believing that a flush or flush with a cleaner additive will clean the filter without dropping the pan.

Sometimes, Dex 6 can have funny results on the older tranny's, but you should have the 4L60E, so you should be fine with DEX 6, but it's not really necessary.

(Dex 6 and Dex 3 have diffrent viscosity's that could effect hydraulic transmissions, but the 4L60E is electronically shifted.)

Maxlife DEX3/Mercron should be just fine. Complete fill with torque converter is about 3 gallons. Pan and filter drop is about 2 gallons.

Give or take for cooler lines, add on filter, etc...

Last edited:
I run the Maxlife ATF in everything I own. The 99 Blazer and the 93 P.U. have the 4L60E. Even my 08 Silverado I run Maxlife in, and it is spec'd for Dex-VI. Everything runs smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back