Rebuilt Alternator Recommendations?

I just went through this with a 2006 Highlander. In 2016 the alternator failed and I installed a rebuilt from OReilly's. It lasted until this summer and then failed. The diodes in the VR failed.

I should have installed a remanufactured Toyota unit back then. I did install a Toyota unit this time.
Didn't it have a lifetime warranty though?

I've gotten alternators from local parts store like Autozone/Advance Auto. Everyone has horror stories about getting bad ones. So far I've had good luck with them. They can usually test them so all I've been able to do is ask them to test the new one to make sure it works other than that, it's a gamble. But they've all had lifetime warranties and usually when they fail again after 5-8 years, that's about how long the original one lasted. So far I'm about 3 years into a reman Bosch from Autozone, we'll see how long it lasts.

I've gotten alternators from local parts store like Autozone/Advance Auto. Everyone has horror stories about getting bad ones. So far I've had good luck with them. They can usually test them so all I've been able to do is ask them to test the new one to make sure it works other than that, it's a gamble. But they've all had lifetime warranties and usually when they fail again after 5-8 years, that's about how long the original one lasted. So far I'm about 3 years into a reman Bosch from Autozone, we'll see how long it lasts.
Right, this is exactly what I was trying to point out on page 1... good money after bad... just do a free exchange and hope for the best and deal with it in 3+ years at which point who knows, will you even still have the car?

Good luck with Bosch reman, we order those from an outside supplier at work sometimes for certain picky customers. Well, they fail/have duds just as often as our house brand remans. Denso reman although I've read things (likely here, perhaps elsewhere) that they really aren't that great anymore either) the few we've ordered I don't recall any being bad or warrantied.

It does have the lifetime warranty, but it is my daughters car and she is working 1000 miles away from here this summer. If she had been here in town, I would have R&R'ed the old alternator with the O'Reilly replacement. Couldn't get it worked out long distance, however.

There is a place here that rebuilt my alternator out of my 2002 Silverado for $75. To me that is the way to go if you have a place to do it.

Same with our pool pump motor. Bearings started maing a noise. $450 for new motor or $105 to rebuild.

More needed info---how long does OP plan to own the Sienna?

Is this the original alternator/original brushes at 215k miles?

If this is the original alternator (congrats on your alternator soldiering on this long) and you plan to keep the car for a long time, buy a brand new alternator as your current alternator (if old) may fail someplace else and new is only slightly more expensive than reman.

At rockauto the two most popular models are: Wai $114 + shipping or Pure Energy $126 + shipping

Last edited:
Back