Rebuilding an AMC 4.2 I6

if off rding the 6 is better in my mind (& this is 1 of the best) as tq comes on early (low rev grunt) & therefore avoids spinnin tires in the loose. Measure every thing as U disassemble. This way U can tell machinist what to do & order - if U want him to). If U dont guid them they take control over the decisions. I might ask fora 3< valve job'n hardened seats (esp exh.) as no more lead in fuel & the modern way. Also cam grinds have come a long way. Pick a modern w/use of vehicle in mind. U can build the motor around that - 80% of the RPMs and octane selected. Every automotive Q is answrd by "What is the application of this vehicle?" even more important in a multipurpose (rd & off rd, unless it will be dedicated to one) rig like ur own. Congrats on the decision to rebuild. May B a vid on this (for U 2C any anomalies w/the ol AMC in ur garage). Lots of research comes 1st (plez) a plan U carry out to the end (no changes mid stream) have a 'system' that is 'congruen't, nota hack job. Dont forget: degree in any/every cam ever installed. I like these guys:

I have an AMC 4.2 I6 out of my old 1983 CJ7, the plan 10 years ago was to rebuild the engine with a larger cam and some other goodies and then reinstall it into the CJ7
So was it running fine at the time? Just wanted to add some mods? Any reason not to put it back in as is to get it back on the road?

So was it running fine at the time? Just wanted to add some mods? Any reason not to put it back in as is to get it back on the road?
Yea it ran, took it out to do some body and frame work and after the rust was removed there wasn’t much left lol

"...wasn’t much left..." to the body/chassy I assume. As Shrug sez - not to the motor, correct? I
think he is saying "Y rebuild if all's OK." that'sa big expense.

My 1972 Gremlin had the 4.2l six, what a great engine it was... maybe underpowered for its size but very torquey and 100% bulletproof.

Back