Rear View Mirror Issue

I cannot seem to get more than six months before my rear view mirror falls off the windshield to the floor on my F150. I have used mostly Permatex cement intended for the purpose. I only use a small single drop applied to the metal pad before sticking on the windshield and perform all prep work as indicated in the product directions. I follow the directions to the letter and even wait a couple days before attaching the mirror assembly to the metal mounting pad. I am ready to take it to a windshield shop. I would appreciate any product or application ideas.

I cannot seem to get more than six months before my rear view mirror falls off the windshield to the floor on my F150. I have used mostly Permatex cement intended for the purpose. I only use a small single drop applied to the metal pad before sticking on the windshield and perform all prep work as indicated in the product directions. I follow the directions to the letter and even wait a couple days before attaching the mirror assembly to the metal mounting pad. I am ready to take it to a windshield shop. I would appreciate any product or application ideas.
I had the same issue to the point where I gave up after 2 failed attempts and just bought a replacement mirror that attached with a sticky suction cup. It was OK for a while but it didn't have the switch to deflect glare from highbeams behind me. So, I reattached the metal pad back to my windshield but I never re-hung the mirror. After about 1 month, I re-hung the original mirror and it has been fine for well over a year now. Hope I didn't just jinx myself! Good luck.

The mirror in my 90 Ford Ranger fell off. I read how the DIY kits were hit and Miss. I took it to a window/windshield place first. They have different stuff than we can buy. He stuck the pad on and said come back in two days and I'll install the mirror. It is stuck good and charged me nothing. Win,Win!!

Many manufacturers used to mount their review mirrors this way. That was the worst idea ever. At some point, they will all fall off.

Living in the hot South I have the same problem with my F150. I've tried every cement out there. The ones that work the least are the dedicated mirror glues.
I've had the best luck with a product called "E6000" but follow the direction EXACTLY. I clean the windshield with Acetone, a dab of E6000 then some painters tape to hold the tab in place. YOU MUST NOT DISTURB the glue for 72 hours according to the directions. I leave mine taped for a week.

Second on the E6000. I think the formulas in the dedicated rearview mirror attachment kits has changed for the worse. Very recently reattached the mirror in my '86 Dodge Daytona using the kits (twice); each time the mirror was on the floor within 24 hours.

Grabbed my tube of E6000 and attached the metal chip to the glass, then hung the mirror three days later. I think I could swing from the mirror like a trapeze...

Must be a Ford thing, went thru this with a 91 Bronco for years until I talked with a body shop guy I went to school with. He gave me me a little tube of something, sorry I can't remember what it was but it did work with similar instructions to what @ka9mnx describes, I think I used duct tape.

I think the formulas in the dedicated rearview mirror attachment kits has changed for the worse.
My Bronco issue was back in the mid 90's so not sure it was ever good stuff, but then again I've never had this issue with any other vehicle I've owned.

The mirror falls off about once a year in my Ranger ever since it got a new windshield about 10 years ago. Never had that issue with my Explorers or other Rangers, but the Ranger with the mirror issue is black and gets really hot in the summer.

I was getting ready to post something similar myself.
My '02 F150 had a windshield replacement in 2013, it stayed on till about 3 years ago, and since then, my mirror has fallen off 10-12 times using all kinds of adhesives.
Sometimes it separated at the glass, sometimes at the metal.
I just used some 3M High Bond for the first time yesterday. Will see how it does.

If it fails, I will try the E6000 route.

Back