Side view mirror replacement

I need to replace the driver side view mirror on my camry. Someone backed out too close to cement pillar in parking garage, and scraped the mirror against it. RA has one shipped for $40, a bit cheaper than local parts stores.

My first question. You can see the two pictures. I have circled in red, the place where it broke off, and where I am thinking of simply gluing it back on. Is there an adhesive that I can use to glue this together? The power adjustment button for this still works. The mirror itself is currently held in place by packaging tape, believe it or not. This would be the cheapest option.

Second option is a new mirror from RA. They have one that I think fits (power, non-heated, for Japanese built Camry). Here is the link: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=364901&cc=1767&pt=1304&jsn=791&jsn=791

But the product description for this one I am thinking of getting says the following:
  • OE-comparable harness (no pigtail connector) for hassle-free installation
  • OE-comparable mounting provisions ensure drop-in precise fitment

It is the "no pigtail connector" part that has me concerned. I do want one with the electrical wiring that connects the mirror itself, to the wire that comes from the door. Is this unit the right one, or do I need to keep looking for another one?

Door.jpg

Mirror.jpg

I've installed those inexpensive mirrors before and they all went on and functioned just fine. The main differences are usually the finish as some are just a molded in color black. I would replace because trying to glue that damaged one wont last under wind, weather and such. The harness on that one will be like your OEM one and it has to be painted.

Well $40 shipped (plus the ability to buy cheap oil filters) is a lot cheaper than I was thinking they'd be, so no complaints if I have to go that route.

But as far as wind & weather--like I said, it is currently held onto the car with packaging tape, and it was driven about 180 miles on the freeway home this last week (I had no idea what was going on with mirror until after car got home). So yeah, I would normally have thought that wind resistance would have pushed it off, but if tape can hold, I was thinking perhaps an adhesive could.

I've installed those inexpensive mirrors before and they all went on and functioned just fine. The main differences are usually the finish as some are just a molded in color black. I would replace because trying to glue that damaged one wont last under wind, weather and such.

No pigtail - I would assume you cut the one off your old mirror and splice (no, not wire nuts) onto the replacement mirror.

I've installed several cheap side views. So far they fit and work, but marginally. Actually on a 2nd Gen Ram it moved around so much at highway speed I finally replaced with used OEM. On a first gen Taco it was ok-ish but the glass twisted like a funhouse when adjusted.

There have been others I can't remember.

If you care, check ebay or car-part for OEM. If it's a beater or you're selling soon, go cheap aftermarket

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
This is for a beater alright, 290K miles. All I need is for it to last 3 more years of college.
I've installed several cheap side views. So far they fit and work, but marginally. Actually on a 2nd Gen Ram it moved around so much at highway speed I finally replaced with used OEM. On a first gen Taco it was ok-ish but the glass twisted like a funhouse when adjusted.

There have been others I can't remember.

If you care, check ebay or car-part for OEM. If it's a beater or you're selling soon, go cheap aftermarket

Reactions: D60
The listing says OEM wiring no pigtail just means it has the same harness with plug as OEM and doesn't need a pigtail adapter. Have to read the description closely.

I would prefer to avoid that.

Do they sell side view mirrors with the pigtail?
I'm assuming you have a '97-'01 Camry? Look at RA choices. There's several mirrors (power, w/wo heat) that come with pigtails/connectors.

I searched for a '99 Camry as an example:

This shows what I need. I will buy a mirror, but need to make sure that it comes with the wire & connector, attached to the mirror.

Mirror.jpg

So before I buy, I guess my last question is, given the above pic, which if the following (power adjusted WITHOUT heat, car made in Japan) could I get?

Here is one that I think would fit what I need: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=704915&cc=1767&pt=1304&jsn=23

Is that one that is compatible?

Back