Impala/Lacrosse auto dimming mirror install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I was just wondering if I bought a used GM auto-dimming mirror for my Lacrosse (any Impala mirror from 00-13 fits), whether there would be a wiring harness there already. The car could have been optioned with one, but mine wasn't. (something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/IMPALA-MONTE-CAR...dQH&vxp=mtr

I wouldn't want to tear into my headliner, but if it was plug and play and the connector was right there I would like to add one. Any thoughts (the Impala uses the same mirror as my Lacrosse and the process is the same, I think). So, I'm just wondering if it's plug and play, as my car COULD have had an auto-dimming mirror from the factory, but wasn't equipped with one.

Also my mirror is not equipped with Onstar. I have no wire going into my mirror.

Last edited:
Is the OE mirror at least "illuminated" (switchable courtesy lights built into it)?

If so it at least has some 12v source. Can't imagine that an autodim mirror needs much more than that.

I personally can't stand the things. I feel you lose some optical resolving power due to the auto dimming function. But if you like them, good luck! Sounds like a good project, even if you have to get into the overhead console.

The mirror doesn't have any power source whatsoever. The interior lights are on the headliner. I just wondered whether there was a wiring harness up there, waiting?

Probably not. You could pull the headliner down and look. It isn't too hard to run the wiring if you need to; you just need key-switched +12, Ground and tap into the wire for the Reverse lights.

Last edited:
Be careful with those. I know someone that had one that leaked some kind of fluid and made a mess of his interior. I had one on my 02 Grand Prix and I really didn't care for it. It didn't like being out in the hot sun either. I have a manual one on my GXP and it's much nicer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back