Diagnosing power mirror on Gen 1 Tundra

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdn

Passenger side power mirror on my Tundra defrosts and swings up/down, but the left/right movement does not occur in either direction. Driver side mirror works fine. Before I buy the part to replace the mirror and take off all the door handles and trim I am looking for advice to diagnose if it is the mirror assembly itself or the switch on the drivers side door, or the wiring? The switch panel looks pretty simple to take out from the door. But I do not have a schematic.

Can anyone provide info on how to test the mirror switch and describe the pinout of the connector that goes to the power mirror switch? I was thinking if I can jumper the correct pins that operate the left/right movement of the mirror I could observe movement and know if the wiring harness and the motor itself works. Also with the pinout of the switch itself I could test the switch with a DMM and either replace the switch itself or clean it with Deoxit D5 and replace it. From looking at the Haynes manual the window switch seems like it might be a replaceable part without having to touch the power windows and locks switches.

With the connector disconnected from the switch if I jumper the correct pins and assuming it still does not move i.e. it is not a problem with the switch is there a description of the continuity or resistance at the pins that I could test with the DMM to test if it the wiring or the mirror assembly itself? I can get a mirror for $46 at Rock Auto but would rather diagnose first than throw parts at it.

Thanks in advance. I never did one of these.

If the switch is in the driver's door, by far the most common problem with these type of systems is broken wires where they cross from the driver's door to the body.

Is the wiring the same on both sides? Remove both mirrors and hold the suspect one up and plug it into the known good wiring.

These shouldn't be too hard to remove.

You could also plug a test light into various orifices on the connector-- this'll be a better test of current carrying ability. The switch will be like a power window one in that it allows current through in regular and reversed polarity.

I personally think it's a stuck motor-- it's out in the environment and sometimes goes years without moving.

Thanks I will order the mrror part and just hook it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back