Rear grinding noise when braking

Status
Not open for further replies.
45k miles on the brakes is not all that bad. It all depends on the driving conditions and the type of driver. Some people can go well above 100k miles on one set of pads, while others will struggle to hit 50k miles. That's why these things are called wear and tear.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I wouldn't mind pads that wore a little quicker like this. That usually (but not always) means that they're easier on the rotors...if changed before they get to metal, of course!

Our Ridgeline, with 101k miles now, has the factory front brake pads and had the factory rear pads until I replaced them a few months ago. The fronts have at least half of their life left. Folks on the Ridgeline forum report having to change their front pads for the first time at 150k miles. I believe it now.

But the side effect seems to be that they're harder on rotors than they might otherwise be if the pads were softer.

Yeah, you guys in the south can do this, but up here the rotors will be too rusty to be re-used anyhow after 4-5 years. Even the fancy factory coatings don't seem to help much. My current, cheap rotors (going on to 6 years and around 60k miles), that I painted myself, look about the same as the original factory ones when they needed to be changed at 4 years and a bit over 60k miles.

Last edited:
Yep, that's why I figure brakes "age out" after 5 years. By all means, inspect and reuse--but inspect by 5 years. Rotors get chewed up, and pad lining can separate from the backing plate. I just replaced rear pads on our Camry as one pad was showing signs of separation--half worn, and only 2 yr old. [I think it was manufacturing defect, but still: off it came.]

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Oro_O
A four year old camry with 45k should not need new rear brakes or rotors.

That's what I was thinking.

Poor driving habits can easily wipe out brakes in that time period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back