Rear brakes wearing faster than fronts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The above responses are correct. Many, but not all, modern cars are configured to use the rear brakes under modest braking. This leads to better feel, and accurate stability control, among many other things.

In years past, rear brakes were less powerful than the front to provide good brake bias for heavy braking. Today, we can have each brake provide even braking torque under less than hard braking.

The traditionally smaller rear brakes then wear faster with today's protocols.

Last edited:
This very common on cars with the parking brake incorporated into the caliper operated by either a cable or electric motor as in your case. It can be considered normal unless the pad wear is really abnormal, a small amount of additional wear on the inner pad is also normal.
Many cars with 4 wheel disc brakes have a closer brake bias and some use the ABS for traction control (AKA ESC) so the smaller rears often get worn faster. There are many different reasons for this happening its really depends on the model and car and brake type but its usually normal operation.

I see Cujet posted similar +1

Last edited:
They are the same way on the Fusions, even the FWD models. They are smaller than the front but wear so much faster. All four brake pads were installed at the same time and the rears have about 30% left on them while the front has about 75% left after 50k miles. The first set of brake pads wore the same way.

Originally Posted by Trav
This very common on cars with the parking brake incorporated into the caliper operated by either a cable or electric motor as in your case. It can be considered normal unless the pad wear is really abnormal, a small amount of additional wear on the inner pad is also normal.
Many cars with 4 wheel disc brakes have a closer brake bias and some use the ABS for traction control (AKA ESC) so the smaller rears often get worn faster. There are many different reasons for this happening its really depends on the model and car and brake type but its usually normal operation.

Trav's post ^^^^^^ sums-up the situation quite precisely. Also, for the sake of completeness, there are cases when the proportioning valve goes bad or is mal-adjusted. That will cause rear brakes to wear faster too.

Ray

Originally Posted by Trav

All this and the bean counters are still using the chintzy brakes they have a lengthy contract to buy and are locked into at a decent price. Computer programming changes way faster and has to use the hardware provided.

It is common knowledge that American trucks with 4 wheel disc use the rear brakes very aggressively. I am sure many cars do the same. With the computerized proportioning systems it is common as stated in previous post by Jimzz to bias braking to the rear until ABS kicks in. Traction/Stability programs are the culprit, and more than one guy on this board has complained of this premature rear wear before.

It has a lot to do with the driver. It is highly likely that this is normal for the OP.

Originally Posted by Jimzz
Its more normal, esp on luxury vehicles. It used to be more common to use the front with just a little rear braking. This was due to cars not having ABS/stability control systems. Now that cars have all that tech they are less likely to spin out if the rear brakes grab sooner. Thats done so the car stops more flatter instead of nose diving. Plus rear brakes are usually thinner than front so even working the same the rear will not last as long.

So its mostly a comfort thing that can be taken advantage of due to newer technology.

I already replaced the rear brakes in my SiLs Lexus but her front still look good.

This is exactly correct^^^

With four channel ABS and a little software, you can make the brakes do whatever you want WRT proportioning and bias.
It isn't DSC or VSC or whatever you want to call it. How often does anyone see the light indicating that the car is taking control?
Rather, it's an intentional rearward bias programmed into the system.
I first saw this with our '09 Forester which needed rear pads after only 48K miles mostly gently driven by my wife.

The current IS, my old e39 and J30 all had the rear brakes go with plenty of meat on the front. For light braking the pads wear pretty evenly, but the size of the pad is greatly reduced for the rear.

My old Accord does this and so does my daughter's Nissan Maxima.
Just inspected hers , 4mm rear, 7 mm front.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
The car uses the back brakes a ton these days, most do this. They are completely normal.

Yep. Modern brake pressure distribution are tuned to be rear heavy. Used to be just with the "driving enthusiast" brands/models but virtually everyones doing it now. Also with the heavy rear negative camber- similar trend. With the advent of ABS, lockup isn't a risk anymore and more rear braking gives a better "feel" as the body doesn't nosedive as much.

Originally Posted by RamFan
Rears on our Mazda wear out quicker than the front. In following a Mazda specific board, this seems quite common with the CX-5.

I do Mazda parts to and can confirm we replace and stock more rear pads and rotors than fronts across the whole range. When I asked a Mazda engineer about it, he said it was purely due to traction control using the rear brakes to bring the cars under control and the rears applying first at speed for a split second.

The only thing that is puzzling me with these rear bias braking systems, traction control, etc. activating the rear brakes more causing more wear, why don't they use bigger calipers and brake pads like the front of the vehicle? In my two Jeeps and my father's Subaru the rear brakes and calipers are a lot smaller than the front. It would make more sense to me to make them at least the same size as the front, or even bigger.

In GMT800 trucks the rear dual caliper setup is almost the same size at the fronts. When I bought my 02 used with 89,000mi on it the rears were almost down to the backing plates whereas the front still had a decent amount of pad left.

Front pads last on my cars at least twice as long as front pads do. It may be due to my driving style. It may be a matter of dynamic weight distribution when decelerating and brake proportioning. The harder you brake, the less the rear brakes will contribute to braking. The lighter you brake, the more the rear brakes will contribute to breaking. That's just my hypothesis.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
The only thing that is puzzling me with these rear bias braking systems, traction control, etc. activating the rear brakes more causing more wear, why don't they use bigger calipers and brake pads like the front of the vehicle? In my two Jeeps and my father's Subaru the rear brakes and calipers are a lot smaller than the front. It would make more sense to me to make them at least the same size as the front, or even bigger.
I just bought pads for my G35, front and rears, and have never seen such a difference in the size of the pads. What I do know is that the rear pads are a very common size across other Nissan/Infiniti models.

IMG_0860.jpg

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by demarpaint
I just bought pads for my G35, front and rears, and have never seen such a difference in the size of the pads. What I do know is that the rear pads are a very common size across other Nissan/Infiniti models.

That is a pretty big difference. My Jeeps and the Subaru I mentioned are considerably different in size from front to rear, but not like that. There is certainly enough room to increase the size of the rear brakes and calipers on the three vehicles I mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back