1.5 lbs Brussels sprouts -Remove any stray, tough outer leaves
12 shallots
6-8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Palmful of pine nuts, toasted
3 T olive oil
2 T butter
2-3 T lemon juice -1/2 a lemon in our case
Salt and Pepper

Think in terms of "undercooking" if you're bringing this dish or preparing ahead of time.

Shove the sprouts and shallots through the slicer blade of a food processor. You can cut it all up by hand if you like.
Pre-shreaded sprouts are commonly available as a substitute
Toast the pine nuts, divide -I used a small fry pan and a shot of PAM. Watch 'em as they brown quickly

On the stove top:
Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan.
Saute the shallots add the garlic. There's no need to overcook or thoroughly soften.
Add the sprouts, keep 'em moving
Add 3/4 of the pine nuts and the lemon juice
Salt and pepper -I used ~1/2 t of each

Again, no need to kill the bright green color of the sprouts

Adorn with remaining pine nuts
Serve

We just made this and the house smells so good.

Merry Christmas G&K

Sounds good! I was never a fan of sprouts until I started roasting and mixing with other vegetables to mellow them out a bit.

A 2011 study by Cornwall College found that Brussels sprouts contain a chemical, similar to phenylthiocarbamide, which only tastes bitter to people who have a variation of a certain gene. The research found that around 50 per cent of the world's population have a mutation on this gene. The lucky half don't taste the bitterness usually associated with sprouts, and therefore like them a whole lot more than everyone else.

Age may also be a factor, as the bitter taste is more objectionable to the young.

I have always found Brussels Sprouts to be bitter, but still REALLY like them. However, they don't like me if I eat too many.

Last edited:
I don't like the taste nor bitterness of brussel sprouts but somewhat enjoy them when shredded and mixed with other things like onions, garlic, bacon, balsamic vinegar, honey. I'll try yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back