B.S. with bacon and apple cider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me just tilt this off to the side a little... perfect! Pictured below are pan-seared pork loin chops with the scavenged remains of a mustard cream sauce, polenta, and lukewarm Brussels sprouts with bacon and apple cider nestled inside the finest Rubbermaid container money can buy.

He and his brothers were really quite a pretty bunch of boys at one point in their lives (presently reincarnated into an even less flattering form), but the pan sauce had reached a demanding point and the guests were whining... leaving me in no real position for a pre-meal photo op. At any rate, I'm certain you're wondering about the Brussels sprouts, which were especially delicious.

Now if you don't and won't care so much for Brussels sprouts then that's fine and dandy, but please let me see if I can persuade you to visit the dark side before you dismiss the whole idea. Even the poor prejudiced souls who typically pass them by usually like this particular version, and I've heard this enough times that it seems like a factual thing to say. This also works surprisingly well with frozen Brussels sprouts, but you might as well buy the fresh ones in season (in my opinion). A very healthy sized sack cost me all of $3.00, and this simple recipe is pretty cheap on the whole.

You will need (in very approximate ratios):
2 lbs fresh Brussels sprouts: washed, trimmed, and halved
3-4 tbs dark brown sugar
4-5 + 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
3-4 tbs apple cider or water
3-4 pieces thick–sliced bacon, roughly chopped

If you were to call these "sweet and sour" I think it would turn people off, but that's really what they are. Apple cider would be preferable to water in my opinion, but it seems silly to buy a quart of apple cider for a few tablespoons, so don't go too far out of your way. Step one, regardless of how you choose to proceed, is to brown the bacon pieces thoroughly and leave all the bacon drippings in the pan.

Now from here, there are several paths to take all depending on where you want to end up, but I'll just share the method that I like for now. After browning the bacon, you would then combine with the brown sugar, salt, pepper, apple cider, and apple cider vinegar but not reduce. Toss the halved Brussels sprouts with everything, cover (you're using a covered sauté pan right?), and hold over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until you decide they're done. If you like these in the fashion I do, have it in your mind that you are steaming them more than anything. Right before you're ready to serve, toss in the shot of apple cider vinegar. The vinegar that was in the pan has mellowed out considerably by now and I happen to think it needs a little extra bite, but if you disagree, then by all means omit the last tablespoon. That's it! These really are quite good I think.

As far as my personal preferences, nothing should be dry or crisp about these in any way whatsoever, and anything even remotely associated with soft through any faculty known to man is a disaster. The texture should be more or less homogenously taught. The picture is (again) slightly misleading, partially because those are overcooked (for my tastes) from resting in the warm pan. A lot of people don't like Brussels sprouts because they have had them when they are too soft or sulfurous (strongly correlated) I think. These are sweet, tangy, and firm using the method described, assuming you pull them early enough.

I like baby Brussel sprouts with balsamic vinegar (the real stuff that goes so well with strawberries). Too bad that anybody around me suffers the consequences.
blush.gif

Better half and the children were shopping a while ago.

She asked the children what they wanted for dinner, and Rhiannon asked for Brussels sprouts.

Certainly turned some heads.

Not as many as Rhiannon and I eating them raw, I'm sure.

Julian, it looks good.

Julian,

Unfortunately, I don't care for Brussels sprouts. There are really only 2 "normal" things that I won't eat, sweet potatoes being the other item (I gagged on them even as a baby). My wife used to have B.S. as a kid when her grandmother cooked them until they were mush, & of course they were disgusting. So, she tried them in a recipe similar to the one presented here but from cook's illustrated or Alton Brown, can't remember which. Anyway, they had good texture, and I thought they SHOULD be good - they look good. But, alas, they were anything but. It actually suprised me that I didn't like them. We had to throw them out. It was only the 2nd item that we have ever thrown out in our 8+ years of marriage. The other item was not long after we were married - spinach lasagna made with canned spinach (when we got married she had never cooked before).

A word of caution about brussel sprouts, which I LOVE: be very very careful when reheating them in the microwave. All the water built up inside them will steam and they will EXPLODE in the microwave and voialla, you'll have cabage salad all over the place - it's a bear to clean up. It is funny as heck to watch though. KABOOM

Quote:

he asked the children what they wanted for dinner, and Rhiannon asked for Brussels sprouts.

Brussel sprouts contain a fair (less than spinach) amount of oxalic acid. Many children get nauseous from it. As a kid I threw up after eating spinach and I hated the taste of Brussel sprouts. As an adult I have no issues with spinach, although I prefer kale, which can pretty much always substituted for spinach. There is also an issue with oxalic acid inhibiting calcium absorption from at least the particular food which does contain the oxalic acid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back