Realistic Treadlife Expectations for Winter Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
My vote would be for the 3-peak all-season tires

You may also want to consider "performance winter" tires. These are still winter tires, but with better dry-road handling. Not quite as good in snow as regular winter tires, but better than any all-season, even 3-peak all-season. They might fare better in the warm than regular winter tires, even if they're not as good as an all-season in that regard.

Examples of performance winter tires in the size 235/55-17:
Falken Eurowinter HS449
Hankook icept evo2 W320
Nexen Winguard Sport
Pirelli Sottozero
Dunlop Winter Sport 4D
Continental ContiWinterContact TS830p
Kumho iZen RV KC15
Yokohama Wdrive

Back when my parents were still alive and retired and living in Fargo ND they would just leave the snow tires on year round. Of course they rarely left city limits other than maybe 1 or 2 trips up the road to Grand Forks in the summer,but that was only about 100 miles round trip so the winter tires did not wear that much They could easily get 6 years on the snow tires but they rarely left city limits and they probably put on 7K miles at best in a year.

Any sustained hi way driving on very hot days on hot pavement for hundreds of miles is going to wear down snow tires quickly. Might be best to get some Vredsteins Quadtrac5 all seasons. They get pretty good ratings ratings at tire rack and discount tire.

I'm liking the hotel idea. If it's a low likelihood, then I'd get decent a/s (RT43?) and call it done.

Not sure I like those auto socks. They look kinda light duty. But real chains might not fit, and the cable solutions might not be any cheaper. And not buying them might pay for a few nights.

I would put on dedicated winter tires, like the Michelin XIce3 year round. I had them on my Mazda 3 for three winters in Germany, and the left them on when we returned to Texas to wear them out.

I left them on for two South Texas years including a trip to Florida and back and they still had great tread left.

Finally replaced them due to age cracking in the sidewalks. He won't experience anywhere near the heat mine did.

Should get three years at least.

Originally Posted By: Brigadier

I am really liking the looks of the Assurance WeatherReady tires.

The problem with running winter tires in this state, is that you may only get a total of one week where you need them. The rest of the time, you would be compromising dry and wet traction in warmer weather.

Under the circumstances, you could go the 4 seasons tire route + chains in the trunk for on road emergency + hotel funding if weather is predicted really bad (e.g. freezing rain or some other very icy stuff).

I remember reading a good review of Toyo Celsius recently, can’t find it now, but found this and if they’re on par with Nokian they’re worth a look too:

https://www.consumerreports.org/winter-s...car-year-round/

How often will he be home?

Maybe pick up a used set of wheels to put snow tires on, then when he comes to visit in November or so, swap the snow tires on, then when he comes to visit in the spring swap the all seasons back on.

Whatever the tread life indication is from the tire specs, expect half that. The reason is the winter-specific tread depth is less than the measured tread depth; the cold weather sticky portion is an outer layer.

Strict tire changing is important, as winter tires wear very quickly in warm weather. All performance parameters are very poor in warm weather ... cornering, braking, etc is worse with a winter tire than any summer variant in temperatures above about 45F.

With proper maintenance, expect four seasons, maybe less. You might still have useable tread depth then, but winter performance will be noticeably degraded.

FWD + climbing steep hills is not a great combination, even with winter tires, so hopefully, he doesn't have to deal with it.

I've run Nokian WR G3 on my old FWD Passat, with 235/45r17 tires, and did everything reasonably well except climbing steep hills. After 2 seasons (about 20,000 miles), I was down to the 8mm mark.

Braking down steep hills, with studless winter tires, not ideal either. Had Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSI and it struggled to maintain control going down a steep hill. Chains help here.

For 235/55r17, Use 10 mm cables or chains only on front axle with 235/55R17 tires.
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_C...-US_07_2014.pdf

SCC Super Z-6 SV112 is a good candidate
https://www.vulcantire.com/cgi-bin/chainsearch.cgi?size=235/55-17&f=chainz6_ac.htm&ver=3

Last edited:
My son goes to college in central Washington. We live in western Washington, and during the winter, Snoqualmie Pass can be treacherous. Lots of times WashDOT says 'traction tires required except for 4WD/AWD vehicles'.

We just got my son a 2015 Ford Escape S, 2.5L, 2WD for school. His old 95 Buick probably wouldn't have survived the trip over the pass.

So, for him to come home at Thanksgiving/Christmas/Semester Breaks where Snoqualmie Pass can have snow, I am thinking of getting him some dedicated studless snow tires for year round use. He will probably only put 5-6k miles per year on the vehicle, and he has two years of college left.

What is a reasonable treadlife expectation for year round use on dedicated snow tires?

The other option I am looking at is getting him some all season tires with the Three Peak Mountain Snowflake symbol on them.

Not really wanting to go the route of a dedicated set of wheels/tires for winter due to lack of storage space at home.

TIA

Mchelin X-Ice 3. Do not look further then that if you are looking something with good winter performance and good longevity.
Are there better tires in deep snow, etc? Absolutely. But no winter tire will deliver composure on dry, warm days as X-Ice 3. Also, they are only winter tire that comes with 40K warranty.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
My son goes to college in central Washington. We live in western Washington, and during the winter, Snoqualmie Pass can be treacherous. Lots of times WashDOT says 'traction tires required except for 4WD/AWD vehicles'.

We just got my son a 2015 Ford Escape S, 2.5L, 2WD for school. His old 95 Buick probably wouldn't have survived the trip over the pass.

So, for him to come home at Thanksgiving/Christmas/Semester Breaks where Snoqualmie Pass can have snow, I am thinking of getting him some dedicated studless snow tires for year round use. He will probably only put 5-6k miles per year on the vehicle, and he has two years of college left.

What is a reasonable treadlife expectation for year round use on dedicated snow tires?

The other option I am looking at is getting him some all season tires with the Three Peak Mountain Snowflake symbol on them.

Not really wanting to go the route of a dedicated set of wheels/tires for winter due to lack of storage space at home.

TIA

Mchelin X-Ice 3. Do not look further then that if you are looking something with good winter performance and good longevity.
Are there better tires in deep snow, etc? Absolutely. But no winter tire will deliver composure on dry, warm days as X-Ice 3. Also, they are only winter tire that comes with 40K warranty.

The warranty is useless for the OP's purpose.

Originally Posted By: Michelin warranty

. MICHELIN® Winter tires require documentation of the timing of the installation and removal of the tires each winter to maintain coverage under the limited warranty for tread wear. Winter months is defined as the period beginning on or after September 1 of a given year, and ending no later than April 30 of the following year.

I would get vredestein quadra trac 5

relatively inexpensive, all weather tire.

If you want to spend more (for more winter traction)
The nokian wr g4 is a brand new all weather design came out in 2018.
amazon link wr g4

I probably wouldnt buy a winter only tire but a decent option is the
michelin xice xi3 is has a mileage warranty(which wouldnt apply) so it wears better than many such as brigestone blizzak

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: edyvw

TIA

The warranty is useless for the OP's purpose.

Originally Posted By: Michelin warranty

. MICHELIN® Winter tires require documentation of the timing of the installation and removal of the tires each winter to maintain coverage under the limited warranty for tread wear. Winter months is defined as the period beginning on or after September 1 of a given year, and ending no later than April 30 of the following year.

Still, it will last longer then any other winter tire.

Mich XICE= Yes !!!! I have gotten 5 winters out of them, which includes the first 2 in MN and I put them on a month or so earlier when I was living there! They are not even half worn. I take them off on first day of spring or at end of march. They are very quite and provide better braking and slightly better traction on take offs.

Last edited:
My michelin xice xi2 have lasted (mileage) as long as the defenders on the 2010 accent.. its about 17000 miles and 5.5/32 right now.. vs the defenders at 3.5/32 and 4/32 in aprox 22000miles
Season number 6.. and probably the last this winter.

Disclaimer those numbers are from memory! I have it wrote down somewhere.

Made an appointment with DT to have Goodyear WeatherReady's installed 9/28.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back