Between these snow tires: Blizzak WS80, Pirelli Ice Zero FR, GY Ultra Grip Winter

Available and in my budget, these tires only (215/65-16 on a Volvo XC):

Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter
Bridgestone WS80
Pirelli Ice Zero FR

(maybe also Hankook icept IZ2 WS616, mainly interested in the above though)

Usage is going through Snoqualmie Pass very often; heavy wet snow frequently, ice and packed snow less often but still occasionally. Studless - will not stud.

Direct experience and anyone with comparison experience very welcome to hear!

Purchased the Bridgestone WS90 last year, very pleased with the performance,Do not purchase the WS80,that's the old model,upgrade to the new and improved WS90.

P.urchased the Bridgestone WS90 last year, very pleased with the performance. Do not purchase the WS80,that's the old model,upgrade to the new and improved WS90. these tires were rated number one of all snow tires by Consumer Reports.

If you're not going to use studs, get either the Blizzak or the Ice Zero FR.

Goodyear's studless tire is the Wintercommand Ultra

Get whatever is the best deal. Somebody will have a good Black Friday sale

I have run many sets of Blizzaks over the years, and one set of X-Ice2's. They are both great in packed snow. It's the heavy, wet snow you mention that bothers me. That sounds like you could be running in slush, in which the X-Ice2's were easy to get sliding, and the Blizzaks only somewhat better. I think that winter tires with a lot of siping have a tendency to pack with slush until they're smooth, then are susceptible to sliding. It seems that temperatures right around freezing creates those conditions, where the stuff is in transition from snow to water.

It seems that temperatures right around freezing creates those conditions, where the stuff is in transition from snow to water.

That's the thing - two to three times a week they will go from coastal ~45F to mountain, so passing through transition and it is often precipitating. I am an experienced winter driver, but it was back in New England where transition temp/conditions were much less common. A lot of the time will be in freshly salted mush on the interstate up/through/down the Pass and not in freshly fallen snow or untreated ice.

I am trying to factor how much that alters choice, if any. The vehicle is awd; I did the same drive and conditions a lot last winter in my SUV with similar awd system w/o any real trouble on HT tires (albeit brand new ones w/M+S rating).

That's the thing - two to three times a week they will go from coastal ~45F to mountain, so passing through transition and it is often precipitating. I am an experienced winter driver, but it was back in New England where transition temp/conditions were much less common. A lot of the time will be in freshly salted mush on the interstate up/through/down the Pass and not in freshly fallen snow or untreated ice.

I am trying to factor how much that alters choice, if any. The vehicle is awd; I did the same drive and conditions a lot last winter in my SUV with similar awd system w/o any real trouble on HT tires (albeit brand new ones w/M+S rating).
If you're AWD on Blizzaks, you should be good. Since you're an experienced winter driver, you know how to spot the developing bad conditions.

Blizzaks are a safe bet but TireRack is selling the Michelin X-Ice 3 on clearance for cheaper than the WS-90. I have had the X-Ice 3 for the last five years, and they have been great for me. I get good grip on slushy roads, even on highway speeds. Never slid even in slush or had any problem braking. I got stuck once making a slow right turn on a flat, smooth steel plate they used to cover a hole in the street but once I turned off traction control I got over it. With AWD, that shouldn't be a problem. The cornering is still surprisingly crisp even though I have them on 16 inch rims compared to my 18 inch stock rims. The Michelins also last longer than the WS90 based on the reviews and treadlife warranty. However, the X-Ice 3 are very stiff (probably why they corner so well) so I will bounce a bit on potholes and bumpy roads. They don't give as much as other tires I've owned. I would recommend the X-Ice 3 but be aware they released the X-Ice 4 if you were into chasing the newest tech. On dry roads the X-Ice 3 performs really well. They're not that loud, and ride pretty well. Again, I would highly recommend the X-Ice 3. I know they're not on your list but they're also cheaper than a tire on your list so maybe you should consider them?

Looks like the Viking contact 7 is cheaper than the x ice 3 that I have seen at tire rack

again another tire not on his list. For his list the ws80 would be it for me. I use them personally

Get Ws90 of those three. WS80 is older model and did not prove to be that good, especially in lateral handling in ice. That is why Bridgestone replaced them with WS90 in very short period of time.
However, if you can get Continental Viking7, go that.

I like the blizzak ws80's on my Focus, my only complaint is that they are wearing a bit fast but the Focus has lots of rear camber and toe. They are pretty quiet on the highway and have decent good wet grip. I'd get them again.
If you do tons of miles then see if you can get Xice2's in your size. We have them on the Outback and they are a great hwy winter tire and have hardly worn at all in 15k miles so far. Not the greatest in the deep stuff but AWD makes up for it.

I like the blizzak ws80's on my Focus, my only complaint is that they are wearing a bit fast but the Focus has lots of rear camber and toe. They are pretty quiet on the highway and have decent good wet grip. I'd get them again.
If you do tons of miles then see if you can get Xice2's in your size. We have them on the Outback and they are a great hwy winter tire and have hardly worn at all in 15k miles so far. Not the greatest in the deep stuff but AWD makes up for it.
The Michelin X Ice is the only winter tire I've seen with a tread life warranty.

Check the budget and then check TireRack or Discount Tire Direct for the Viking Contact 7 or X-ice Snow (new more aggressive open pattern). Many companies have the rebates going to factor in and places like Costco offer basically free install also at times.

I did a couple sets from DTD with black Friday. If you get their Credit Card there was extra % off/rebate card. They honor their BF sale for the week before to avoid rush.

Some tests and recommendations also show the Cooper Evolutions which might be in the budget.

If your list only, I might try the Pirelli first and then the Blizzak. Pirelli's are newer with possible improvements on the compounds. Blizzaks were upgraded to WS90 based on reviews/test over the WS80. If you're not using studs, get a studless version. No matter what you'll be better equipped than those that don't have winter tires.

none of the above.

WS80 are poor design. bad lateral traction that breaks free suddenly.

The other 2 are also not great.

Pick one of these average winter tires for no reason we can discern when other much better tires are available at a similar price?

Conti viking contact 7, michelin xice snow, or blizzak ws90 are all MUCH better choices

Back