Real world pickup fuel mileage?

We had a V6 Tacoma company truck. It was a pig. Drank gas like a V8 with the power of an I4. I towed with it in the mountains in a long trip and I think I got mpg in the very low teens.

At a frinds the other day and he was bitterly complaining about his Toyota pickup's fuel mileage. The truck is really nice, 4wd, double cab, red, and has the V6. Oh yeah, 2020 model. His claim is 16mpg freeway and about 13 around town. Is this comparable with other trucks of this era. My workbuddy has a ford ecoboost and he is underwhelmed with its MPG also, about 18mpg on the freeway. Also 4wd, double cab with 3.5lL So what are the average MPG's, real world from around the 2020 model year. Remember everything around her is 80mph+ on the freeways. Thanks.

I remember getting 15 MPG from our chevy c/k1500 v8 2wd single cab long bed (with or without cover). But that thing was used on the farm, so half the trips at least were with a load in the bed and very little on the freeway. We got it from someone who got a new one that did 16 mpg for them. No off road tyres or lift kit or anything like that. I thought that was pretty decent for our use, but terrible for a grocery getter or commuter.

I have a 4 door, 2019 Tacoma 4WD, SR5 model with the V6 motor. The truck is completely stock. When I'm on our local freeway, the posted speed is 65 MPH, and that's what I set my cruise control at, every time. I have a little more than 12K miles on the truck.

I recently took a drive of about 60 miles away and averaged 26+ MPG. That's what my dash showed and my ScanGauge 2 verified almost the same exact measurement.

Ed

2022 Ford Ranger XLT Tremor. Only mods (if you can call it that) are tonneau cover and the OEM front air dam. The Tremor and FX4 Rangers only came with front tire spats from factory to improve approach angle. Since I have no plans of off-roading, I installed a front air dam from none off road package Rangers.

I live in Annapolis MD and work in Washington DC.

Commute is about 70 miles roundtrip. I average 20 to 22 MPG. I generally go 5 miles above the posted speed limit, both in the city and on the highway.

The only fuel efficient half ton pickups will be those that are diesel-powered: the baby Duramax in the GMC twins (Sierra and Silverado) and the EcoDiesel in the Ram.

As for me, nearly 2 years with mine and 22K miles during which the lifetime average is 26+ mpg without trying.

My 2 main pickup trucks get 8-10mpg on average. 97 F350 and 08 5500. Both with 12ft beds.
The big trucks get around 5-7 mpg.

Thankfully have a little diesel Jetta for running around. It gets around 35mpg, sometimes closer to 40 if on summer fuel.

I recall getting ~20 in mixed driving with my 2012 Tacoma with the 2.7. In pure freeway driving I think the best I did was 23. Towing a trailer on a long trip with the bed full of gear, 15.

2019 and 2021 Raptors got about 15 in my day to day. I drive fast though and was routinely 20 mph over on the highway if traffic allowed.

Mpg is largely dependent on the driver and commute.

I sold my Grand Cherokee to my aunt, I always got about 16 mpg with it. She gets 21.5 mpg average with it consistently commuting which I am shocked. We work at the same company, but her commute is a lot more highway. She doesn’t drive slow, 75-80 usually so I can’t really explain it. I only got that mpg driving it to Texas, and we were going pretty slow.

Last edited:
2018 F150 2.7 ecoboost.

Stock lift and tires. I drive the speed limit or 5 over. Easy commute (I’m at my desk before traffic starts, so it’s a straight shot in), but I might also idle for up to an hour at a time if studying or working from the car in cold weather. BMS is disabled, which also costs me half an mpg.

20.1 as it stands today. Without the idling, it’s 21.1 average. This truck gets great mileage, driven under near ideal circumstances.

Ram 2500. 6.4 with 4:10 gears.
I get about 9.5-10 towing a 7k tt.
I've never burned a tank of fuel where there was no towing involved. So I don't know what it gets unloaded city/hwy.

Our company 18/19 Colorados with the 4cyl, 6spd AT, 2wd, and 4.10 gears averages 23hwy @ 80mph.

2020 Ranger

In english, I get about 10-11mpg towing our 6000# 8ft wide travel trailer, and in day to day use, which is mixed highway/county roads I'm between 22-24 usually. Of course, if I stick my foot in it, it drops like a rock, but I've pretty well aged out of driving like that, at least in the truck. The Acura is another story.

The highest I've gotten is an honest 27mpg when on vacation in a ruler flat area of Florida and in no hurry to get anywhere.

1710818942014.jpg

Every truck or SUV I've owned, the MPG starts dropping drastically above about 65 mph. Our BOF SUV can get 24 MPG cruising along at 55-60 mph. Push it up to 80+ mph, and you down into the 17's for MPG.

The 4wd Dually diesel can get high teens cruising by itself at 65 mph. Hook up the 26k lb 5th wheel, and it was in the 8-9 MPG range.

Back