RE960 A/S Ziex vs CrossClimate2 vs Altimax 365Aw

My 16 year old needs front tires badly. They are worn near bald below 2/32” explaining her saying car is twitchy in rainS

The rears are newish Falken Ziex 960A/s so I can replace just a pair. The downsides are they rated poorly for Ice and Snow which she’ll encounter and need to spend $100 for alignment for two tires. Lastly they are a lame size 215/45/17 so wider and not best for winter.

Or is it better to just replace with four decent in winter weather all seasons CrossClimate 2 (double) or Altimax 365AW (less than double)?

Thoughts?

Everyone's going to throw tire suggestions at you outside of the ones you're looking at.

That said, I would definitely suggest replacing all four and just selling the two good ones on Craigslist and be done with them since you already know they aren't very good in bad weather.

New England weather is all over the place so finding a tire that's good all year isn't easy. Personally, I'd give a new 'four season' tire like the 365AW a shot.

What other options do you have? Where are you buying them?

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has experienced both the CC2 and 365W on the same car set, even TireRack, hasn't done direct comparisons yet.

I maintain my stance the CC2 sucks in deep, fresh, wet snow. The long tread blocks don't cut through the snow that you can easily compress into a snowball that well. It is a good tire for after the 1st round of plows go through.

I would expect tires with smaller, chunkier tread blocks will cut through fresh snow better, but... that's the compromise of the CC2... the long tread blocks aren't good if you're caught in a blizzard, but in the other 9 months, will handle better in the dry and the wet.

Do you have Costco up there? Usually they run $150 off a set of 4 Michelins, which will bring the final price otd price to something less than the generals.

You would need to decide the $$ available and safety investment.

I would say get 4 of the same so traction is the same at all 4 corners in all conditions. There are other choices that carry the 3PMSF in that size on TireRack but either of the Michelin or General would be good. You could also look at Nokian, Vredestein, Bridgestone. What vehicle? Other size options? Do you plan to get winter tires/rims for overall safety? If no on winter then definitely a 3PMSF rated version. If yes on winter than you could get something that might rate better for dry/wet/noise etc. for the 3 seasons. My kids cars have Michelin and Pirelli all season for 3 seasons and VikingContact7 for winter. Less than insurance deductible for all 4 winter including rims (from CL/FB market) and better in severe weather.

From there I highly recommend you sign her up for a class at WWW.STREETSURVIVAL.ORG it is a hands on class taken in your daughters vehicle with an instructor. Covers emergency lane changes, wet skid pad, emergency braking etc. The tires WILL get some edge wear but it will be a wealth of experience. My kids recommend it to their friends after taking it.

Can’t go wrong with either the CC2 or 365AW, using tire racks test data they’re neck and neck for dry and wet weather (they don’t have winter data listed for that size). But I’d definitely replace all 4, especially if the Falkens are rated poorly in snow and ice.

Taking a different approach after realizing costs of tires in 215/45/17 size. Trying out the Nordman Solstice tires that are $160/each installed plus $50 alignment . They are basically rebranded Nokian WR3 as a budget tire.

The CC2 and 365AW were in $190-$205/tire installed range. This vehicle is driven mostly 15 miles or less by a 16 year old.

I wish it had the standard 205/55/16 size not the optional 17’s.

Let you know how they are.

Taking a different approach after realizing costs of tires in 215/45/17 size. Trying out the Nordman Solstice tires that are $160/each installed plus $50 alignment . They are basically rebranded Nokian WR3 as a budget tire.

The CC2 and 365AW were in $190-$205/tire installed range. This vehicle is driven mostly 15 miles or less by a 16 year old.

I wish it had the standard 205/55/16 size not the optional 17’s.

Let you know how they are.
I assume you got the Asymmetric ones, not the Directional pattern ones?

the passenger car WR G3 had 2 different patterns, depending on the size.

I did like the Asymmetric ones I had on my Passat.

what is the year, make, model of vehicle?

You might find some rims with good tires in the 16" on craiglist, FB market etc.

Maybe from a different vehicle. check on wheel-size.com for what yours is then what else uses that size.

My Accord has rims from a Hyundai Elantra (that used to be on my Sonata), hub bore is 3mm larger. I bought hub rings even though the rims have tapered lugs so don't really need it.

I’ve run general Altimax rt43 on my 17 accord past few years up here in New Bedford, MA (work in Fall River) with no issues.
Have no experience with the 365aw

Please post your opinion after this winter

what is the year, make, model of vehicle?

You might find some rims with good tires in the 16" on craiglist, FB market etc.

Maybe from a different vehicle. check on wheel-size.com for what yours is then what else uses that size.

My Accord has rims from a Hyundai Elantra (that used to be on my Sonata), hub bore is 3mm larger. I bought hub rings even though the rims have tapered lugs so don't really need it.
Been looking as it’s a 2013 Acura ILX with 215/45/17. No great leads. It uses the Honda (Civic/Accord) standard 5x114.3 bolt pattern.

Been looking as it’s a 2013 Acura ILX with 215/45/17. No great leads. It uses the Honda (Civic/Accord) standard 5x114.3 bolt pattern.
Wheel-Size.com Check that link and plug some #'s.

Search some other car forums between Honda, Hyundai, Nissan. most of the Honda's of that pattern have a 64.1 center bore. Nissan has 66.1, Hyundai has 67.1. Most have within 5mm offset also. This will clear the hub on your ILX no issue. Toyota has a smaller center bore.

With that link you can search by what vehicles have that bolt pattern, hub bore, offset and you can play with a 5-10mm offset difference.

My Hyundai rims on my '17 Accord came from a '13 Elantra, were on my Sonata (and replaced the 16" Tiburon ones I had) they also fit my kids CRV (all different tire sizes but the rims fit and clear calipers/backspacing etc.) Maybe not the style you prefer but steel rims and hubcaps are on them also.

Ended up with heavily discounted Nordman Solstice.

They are quiet and vehicle smooth even at high speed. I believe they are discontinued because they are Made in Russia.

Attachments

• 816BEFC9-5A8F-4823-AFA1-D8B203084DFF.jpeg
    816BEFC9-5A8F-4823-AFA1-D8B203084DFF.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 45
  • EFF001C5-FDEF-4846-8B07-DBFAEE57FBFC.jpeg
    EFF001C5-FDEF-4846-8B07-DBFAEE57FBFC.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 44
The tires above in their somewhat wide 215/45/17 size for a fancy Civic(Acura ILX) performed admirably in 8” of snow unplowed. Daughter 17 has learned how to drive FWD in snow self learning to use the paddle shifters to upshift to 2nd to start vehicle in harder conditions .

She drives friends around in snow preferring her FWD car with winter biased all seasons vs accessing friends BMW x drive and Audi A3 Quattro with performance all-seasons.

She fessed up since 15.5 (driving age 16) she has driven friends car and friends parents cars especially winter conditions . I spent a ton of time teaching her basics of winter driving. Cars including Tesla 3 RWD, Porsche Panamera, 2005 Camro convertible , and suvs/minivans full of kids.

Last edited:
Back