Walmart Nokian Hakkepiilata R2's on Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week I got 4 original like-new Toyota steelies for the new-to-me low mileage 2010 Camry, $160. The owner used them for 2 months, upgraded to custom wheels and then let them sit in the custom wheel boxes until he traded his Camry in.

This week I picked up some new R2's from Walmart (free ship-to-store), Nokian Hakkepiilata R2 in 215/60R16. The tires are marked "Made in Russia" and are XL load rated. Walmart sourced mine from SimpleTire. Mine have a manufacturing date of 2016 week 43, so 2.5 years old. That's OK, a buyer review noted their tires were a little old, so I was prepared for this. If they last past 5 years I know shops that will still work on them.

Walmart still has this size at the low, low price of $84.36/ea. I got 4 high end tires for $360.88 including tax, plus rims and mounting I'll be into a complete set of 16" winter wheels for ~ $570.

I made an appointment at Walmart for 5:00 and dropped by around 2:30 to drop off the rims... I could drop off the rims, but I "had to" come back at 5:00 to "check in" for my appointment or they wouldn't do the work. They would not check me in immediately. I said I never ran into a tire shop that I couldn't drop off work and then pick it up. He pointed at 2 cars in the bay and said "too busy". I said "that's not busy" and "you don't have a busy problem, you have a policy problem." So I took the tires to a local tire shop, and dropped them and the rims off. Walmart usually has the best price around for mounting and balancing, last time it was $52 to replace 4 tires and trash the old ones. Local shop mounting/balancing/valve stems all four on bare rims for $50, so no big difference. (Some other local shops, big difference).

My only recent comparison is with the Corolla's Altimax Arctic's (pre-12), which have been excellent Winter tires, long wearing and good in the wet, but mushy with lots of tread squirm. The R2's are supposed to provide a firmer ride (as per Nokian anyway).

https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2/
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nokian-Hakkapeliitta-R2-215-60R16-99R-XL-BW/50296137

Of course after reading nothing but glowing reviews, after ordering the tires I ran into one review that slammed them for being slippery above 40F. Daytime Winter highs in Maryland definitely get above 40F, usually not too much above, so I'll have to wait and see what happens. I won't have any driving experiences to post until the weather gets cold again later this year. I'll update this thread when I put some miles on them.

Come to the dark side, get the HF tire machine.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by eljefino
laugh.gif

LOL you're a special case, eljefino. My all season tires last 45-55K or more, my winter tires 5 winters and still going. Return on investment, plus the space taken in my shop, would be hard to justify.

Local shop mounting/balancing/valve stems all four on bare rims for $50

So when did you do away with the TPMS sensors on the Camry? What did you have to do to defeat the TPMS indicator light?

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Local shop mounting/balancing/valve stems all four on bare rims for $50

So when did you do away with the TPMS sensors on the Camry? What did you have to do to defeat the TPMS indicator light?

On the Corolla I just put up with the light for 3-4 months out of the year. Will probably do the same for the first Winter on the Camry.

I have a plan, when I purchase the next set of all-seasons, I'll have the old TPMS sensors on the winter tire wheels, and the new TPMS sensors on the all-seasons. If I go with clone sensors, I won't have to reprogram/reset anything. Tire storage is far enough away not to be an issue.

When I went with a set of Arctics for the '16 SE, had cloned TPMS valve stems put in the steelies. Part of the deal was free swap overs. Next spring, it will get get a new set of summer tires on the alloys

Just got back from LTS with the wheels, was only charged $30 including tax.

I have all Summer to research TPMS. If I run into a good deal, I may get them sooner. I had them mounted/balanced now, only because it takes less room to store them together. Well, also if they didn't balance I would still be in the return/refund/exchange window. Judging by the very minimal weights used, all should be well.

Originally Posted by eljefino
laugh.gif

Who needs a machine, I have a set of HF tire spoons!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back