Re-refined synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious as to whether it's possible to create a synthetic oil using re-refined base stock? I have no problem using products like Eco-Power or Valvoline's NextGen, but one of my cars has a turbo in which I use full syn. Anyone think Valvoline or another manufacturer will come out with a NextGen syn?

G-oil is a full synthetic SM rated eco oil. But it isn't recycled regular oil like with NextGen. It is made from beef fat.

Redline and RLI are Biobased oils that definitely can handle turbo. So far there are no "re-refineries" that produce higher than Grp. II as of yet. I have a strong feeling Nextgen has Grp. II+ in the mix also. Especially with a 450F FP. That is Out standing if B_S got the analysis right.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Redline and RLI are Biobased oils that definitely can handle turbo. So far there are no "re-refineries" that produce higher than Grp. II as of yet. I have a strong feeling Nextgen has Grp. II+ in the mix also. Especially with a 450F FP. That is Out standing if B_S got the analysis right.

Red Line isn't bio-based.

Where are you going to find batches of used syn oil big enough to rerefine? Then again many "syn oils" aren't a whole lot better than the best of the conventional oils of today.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Where are you going to find batches of used syn oil big enough to rerefine? Then again many "syn oils" aren't a whole lot better than the best of the conventional oils of today.

That isn't what he was asking. He wants to know if a synthetic oil can be made using a re-refined base.

If you consider a Grp III a full syn (an argument I'm not trying to revive), I don't see why you couldn't make a Grp III basestock out of drain oil, since you can apparently make a Grp II.

Safety-Kleen produces group-III base oils in it's re-refining process.

In Canada, it's marketed as Supertech Synthetic, also, 'Eco-Power' syn-blend oils use this re-refined group-III as well.

Hopefully THIS LINK works.

If I'm reading it right, it looks like the EcoPower/SuperTech oil is a blend.
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back