Re awaken the Elven tale!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm in my jammies in front of the window staring at the stars and asking Santa to give me the perfect gift. As my single tear rolled off my face a star shot across the sky. Hopeful I went to bed.

Fast forward to today. My wife sends me to the store for food, and I wandered across town to Wal-mart, figured I'd show the kids the funny lookin crowd. I go straight to the auto section, starting at the HDEO looking for sales on DELO and RT 5 & 6. Walking down the isle I find nothing until I get to the Castrol portion...5-20 on sale ..10w30 5w30 lalala no GC 0w30 NONE no BC 5w40 either. THERE SHE WAS. A lonely 5qt jug sitting on the top shelf of 0w40 ... Made in Germany.
banana2.gif
In disbelief I turned the jug around TWICE and read it again and again, still DDR.

Now I summon the wisdom of BITOG! Is this really a full PAO at 0w40 at $5 a qt??!?!?
Thoughts? Anything I should know? Too good to be true? Excuse the humor (pounding away at Blue moon -- also Belgian
wink.gif
)
Worst case scenario this is long drain oil with HTHS of at least 3.5. Beats my M1 fill.

Pics of the Jug

Either PAO or Ester!

IDK if the Europeans can produce Hydro Processed oils and call them full synthetic as we do here in the States.

Was this 5qt jug $5 or $25?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HKPolice
I can guarantee you that it's group iii oil just because it says not for sale outside of the Americas.

Ahhh, I hadn't picked up on that!
smile.gif

I can guarantee you that it's group iii oil just because it says not for sale outside of the Americas.

It does indeed say that.

We have been running it in our vw 2.5 very happily.

What's jnteresting about it is the pour point. Both the "professional" version,maid the regular ones have very low pour points, fwiw.

The not for sale sign discouraged me too, however this is far more stout than 5w30 and especially 5w20 in the M1 flavor that I'm using. There has to be a significant Gp 4/5 content for such pour point AND drain interval performance, and if not, its still $21.66 for 5qt of MB 229.5 (and others). Now if I can find the noack of this stuff. I'm putting it into a GDI for only 10k with some amsoil signature 5w30 mixed in.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Either PAO or Ester!

IDK if the Europeans can produce Hydro Processed oils and call them full synthetic as we do here in the States.

Was this 5qt jug $5 or $25?

That's what I'd always thought too,as read here on this site,that GC is a pao based oil.

Pentadecane, 7-methylene-, mixed with 1-tetradecene, dimers and trimers,
hydrogenated
1000172-11-1
50-55 %
Base oil - highly refined
Varies
10-15%
I'm no schooled in this stuffs
confused2.gif

FP of 411 degrees
01.gif

MSDS

So is this an addition to the GC family or is it a replacement to bc/gc ?

Take care there. It has the exact same wording on the back of GTX bottles, and there are no synthetic claims on that product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back