Raybestos Professional Grade strut assemblies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As soon as I have a day off that lands in something above freezing, I'll be replacing the struts on our Malibu with Raybestos Professional Grade assemblies. RockAuto puts them in the "Original Ride Quality" section along with the Sensa-Tracs, MOOGs, and KYBs; but cheaper than the rest. I was able to score all four corners off Amazon for $334.

Has anybody else used these? I couldn't find much on BITOG and only wild speculation on the web. I've been happy with the quality of other Raybestos parts I've used, but these appear to be a relatively recent addition to the product line. I guess time will tell!

Thanks.

I doubt Raybestos makes their own shocks and struts so I would assume they are made by either Gabriel or Monroe, probably the latter. They could just be repackaged Monroe Quick-Struts. Internet rumor has it that that's what the Moog ones are.

Gabriel and Monroe have to get their springs and mounts from somewhere so maybe they get them from Raybestos and Moog and build these things together with an agreement to sell them as their own product.

Pure speculation on my part.

Raybestos is owned by Affinia,of WIX fame.I'm sure one of their other divisions must make the struts,or maybe they are purchased from overseas....wonder where their chassis parts (ball joints..etc) come from?

more than likely a cheap gabriel strut. IMO i would stay away from them, as we have warrantied MANY sets for dead struts with less than 10k miles.

I would go with a monroe branded quick strut.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Raybestos is owned by Affinia,of WIX fame.I'm sure one of their other divisions must make the struts,or maybe they are purchased from overseas....wonder where their chassis parts (ball joints..etc) come from?

I find that Raybestos and Affina products could come from anywhere. You would have to read the package to actually know where it came from.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY

I have Raybestos Pro ball joints on my truck. They were made in Taiwan and appear to be very high quality.

Raybestos' Professional Grade range is very impressive. Some parts are made overseas, most I've seen is Malaysia, but the quality is there.

Bumping this topic.

I am considering getting a couple of these units from Amazon for my 4runner. Can anyone comment on their quality and durability?

Originally Posted By: chadmills
Bumping this topic.

I am considering getting a couple of these units from Amazon for my 4runner. Can anyone comment on their quality and durability?

Since Virtuoso is the only one who used them, and this thread is a few months old, I think sending him a PM is the best solution I can think of.

They are probably rebranded Monroe quick struts. Look closely at the part numbers. They are the same as Monroe's, but they stick a 7 in front of it.

Example:
Monroe 171979
Raybestos 7171979

Most of the parts put in Raybestos boxes as professional grade is generally good stuff. Their parent company Affinia has a good reputation for quality.

However, Monroe has that "shocktober" rebate until the end of the month, buy 3 get 1. So Monroe might be a better deal, and/or the prices might be very close when all is said and done.

I have Gabriel Readymount quick struts on my car, and they're awesome.

If the OP sees this, how have the Raybestos held up for you?

I'm not so sure that having similar part numbers means having the same part. I learned that by working at places that did oil changes with cheap filters. Often there would be something that had **8A on it and you always knew it replaced a Fram PH8A. You would find a **47 that always replaced an ACdelco PF47. The list goes on, but I think you can understand why I have skepticism of Monroe and Raybestos parts being the same item with a different brand name printed on them.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

I have Raybestos Pro ball joints on my truck. They were made in Taiwan and appear to be very high quality.

The Raybestos Pro lower control arms I installed for my 2004 Sienna were also made in Taiwan - also seem to be very good quality but hard to comment without some time and mileage.

Bitog user Trav has also used Raybestos Pro grade parts and might be able to offer opinions.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I noticed the part numbers were similar to Monroe as well. I thought they may have used the Monroe struts but used their own mounts/etc.

Originally Posted By: NJC
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

The Raybestos Pro lower control arms I installed for my 2004 Sienna were also made in Taiwan - also seem to be very good quality but hard to comment without some time and mileage.

Bitog user Trav has also used Raybestos Pro grade parts and might be able to offer opinions.

Yes i use Raybestos Pro a lot but cant comment on their strut units as i have never used them or Monroe either.
I usually use OEM mounts and springs with either OEM or better struts like Bilstein. Sachs are good and less expensive than Bilsteins. I would try a Raybestos pro in an car that i was only going to keep a few years.

I suspect that if Raybestos is using a Monroe strut it will be one of the better ones or ones built to their own specs.
The Pro line is their premium product so i cant see them going low rent and tarnishing the brand which is making great strides in the market.

49.gif

My only complaints are noisy strut mounts in the winter (30F or below). The struts themselves have been good. Have had them about eight months and 10k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back