raybestos element 3 pads seem odd

I didn’t end up using them, as much as I wanted to try the element 3 pads on this car I didn’t want to wait til mid week for new pads to get here from RA. Apparently around here nobody carries Raybestos branded pads. Hopefully will here back from Raybestos next week too.

I can’t get them locally here either; have had to order the 3 sets I’ve installed on my and a friend’s cars.

Apparently around here nobody carries Raybestos branded pads.
Around here, the typical Autozone, O'Reillys, etc don't carry them (I thought I saw one of the big stores could order them though). You might be able to get them from a "wholesale" type auto parts shop as most, if not all, do sell to the general public. Just have to find one...

I have used Raybestos EHT pads exclusively in my shop for YEARS. Great pads for a great price off rockauto. But guess what? The last 3 sets I installed did not fit correctly and I had to grind down the ears a bit to make them fit properly. I didn't like doing that so got replacement sets from other manufacturers (Duralast Gold, Power stop and O'riellys) and the went right on. It may be a fluke but 3 different models of cars and pads would not fit right had me scrathing my head.

I went with Carquest golds so far so good, same GG rating and feel good stopping. Appeared far cleaner and put together better. Haven’t really bad issues with these or Oreillys pads in past, was usually a stuck pin or something else that caused problems.

I got another set of pads today, granted they were again from Amazon (free returns) and here is what I found. Still dirty in the package but anssuming this is from the friction material rubbing together through shipping. Appeared to be an older date code late 2021, backing plate quality seemed better but shims were worse. Looks like a different design shim(makes sense if they are older date), smaller overal shim and barely covers the caliper contact points but what I noticed was the poor fit and were crudely crimped in place. May have worked but all in all it’s a toss up genuine or knock off these are not what I was expecting. I may try them again but not from Amazon, been there done that.

Attachments

• 57E1B207-3205-48C9-951B-C663A5CA13FE.jpeg
    57E1B207-3205-48C9-951B-C663A5CA13FE.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 82
  • E63FBDB2-CEFF-4192-95E8-0BFC3B478E3F.jpeg
    E63FBDB2-CEFF-4192-95E8-0BFC3B478E3F.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 21F6171C-7FED-40E4-A5EC-A7F62EE0563B.jpeg
    21F6171C-7FED-40E4-A5EC-A7F62EE0563B.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 83
I got another set of pads today, granted they were again from Amazon (free returns) and here is what I found. Still dirty in the package but anssuming this is from the friction material rubbing together through shipping. Appeared to be an older date code late 2021, backing plate quality seemed better but shims were worse. Looks like a different design shim(makes sense if they are older date), smaller overal shim and barely covers the caliper contact points but what I noticed was the poor fit and were crudely crimped in place. May have worked but all in all it’s a toss up genuine or knock off these are not what I was expecting. I may try them again but not from Amazon, been there done that.
Actually now that I think about it the shim wouldn’t even cover the contact point on the outside pad. See below I sketched in on the new pad to match the dark area of the old and it looks like the bracket left and right ear would land over the edge of the shim.

Attachments

• B7F01821-D4FF-4F3E-88FB-6F62599E9AEC.jpeg
    B7F01821-D4FF-4F3E-88FB-6F62599E9AEC.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 23
I've ordered several sets of the Raybesto's Pads from Rock Auto and never got a bad or scuffed up one yet. Unpopular opinion, but it might be worth the extra couple bucks to pay shipping. Mine have always come out of Syracuse or Buffalo NY area which are a hub to hub transfer (NY to my local MD hub) for me using FedEx like they do, so they don't get handled (I.E. abused, you should see some of the stuff I see at work) quite as much.

Last edited:
I was curious about the Amazon reviews of the pads you bought. Maybe post the link? Thx...
https://smile.amazon.com/RM-Brakes-EHT1089H-Brake-Pad/dp/B00J6FEIK8/ - reviews are worthless. Amazon mixes reviews for all variations of Element 3 pads and not just for the EHT1089H pads.

FWIW, for this part, it is sold and shipped by Amazon so no mixing or mingling of potential, alternate suppliers. Other sellers do offer this same part but they also ship it and as I recall, the OP said they got the sold/shipped by Amazon option.

https://smile.amazon.com/RM-Brakes-EHT1089H-Brake-Pad/dp/B00J6FEIK8/ - reviews are worthless. Amazon mixes reviews for all variations of Element 3 pads and not just for the EHT1089H pads.

FWIW, for this part, it is sold and shipped by Amazon so no mixing or mingling of potential, alternate suppliers. Other sellers do offer this same part but they also ship it and as I recall, the OP said they got the sold/shipped by Amazon option.
Interesting. Those pads look different than his pads. "Element3" vs "EHT" stamping. Something's up...

I should have known better but I thought I’d try and save 10$. In the future I won’t mess with Amazon again.

I also purchased some Elements from Amazon recently because Amazon had a sale on them and I wanted to try on the next pad change which is coming up soon.... I just examined mine and they look Mint with perfect qc from what I can tell and they have the mfg date code that your's was missing and were made in China,.. I see yours were made in Mexico

The one thing I am not sure about is I thought the friction rating on all these Elements' was supposed to be GG on the pad, at least every Element pad that I have seen has the GG rating on the plate... Your photo shows GH.. and mine are the same GH for front and back.

I picked these up off Amazon and when I went to put them on they just looked odd to me compared to the other element 3 pads I have purchased for other vehicles. Anybody have more experience with these to know whether this is normal or if these are possible knock offs? I've looked at multiple pictures online and even though the logo is slighlty different the printing on these just seems poorly applied, not that it really means anything unless these are fakes.

1. The logo printing on the back of the pad looks fuzzy. There is also a missing number that I typically see on these pads, generally something like 6 numbers and letter 120713Q for example (pic snipped from web).

2. the edges of the plate and the bonding between the pad and plate is rough, doesn't look finished very well and when I took these out of the package they seemed to be covered in dust even though they were shrink wrapped.
Send them back and never buy anything important from Amazon again.
Fakes galore now....its out of hand.

They could care less though.

Heard from Raybestos, they claimed they were old stock made in 2013 even though the date code as I understand it on the shim says 2022? Not sure what that’s about, tried to question that but went nowhere so far. Whatever it is I’m done, sent these back to Amazon. Although I don’t have the same warm fuzzy feeling about these anymore I may try them again down the road but not from Amazon, and honestly saving 25$ over local parts store may not be worth hassle anyway.

Back