raybestos rotor runout

Looking at rotors for my 06 buick and was considering raybestos element 3. Then I noticed this line in the descrpiont something to the effect of 'less than .004 runout'. That seemed odd because many references to manufacturer specs for runout are typicallly .002. Any experience with these and is the runout an issue.

Looking to install on an 06 Lucerne, will be doing pads and rotors. I don't know why but this car seems to be hard on rotors, I think I have replaced or at least had to turn them 3 or 4 times in 75k miles. Even the factory rotors were shot at about 45k when I got it. Any suggestions?

All I can tell you is I use them a lot and on a brand new hub there was less than .001 which is pretty true right out of the box.
The hub must be perfectly clean and check its runout without the disc in situations like yours where it is eating rotors, there is a reason for it.
Always check runout and either rotate the disc or add a shim to correct it.

That’s what I was hoping to hear. Have you used the element 3 pads? Do they dust bad?

After thinking about, I put rotors on at 45k and actually maybe have only done the fronts twice and rears twice since in last 75k, so only a couple times each not 4 times each.

Last edited:
Dusting is not a big issue with them, the pads are definitely not a generic formula, the ones I have installed on many cars have different ratings front and rear and on other cars they can be different again to better suite that cars brake bias eg front GH rear FF or GG.
Overall IMO they are one of the best pads for the money on the market easily competing with pads costing 2x as much. Excessive dusting can be caused by sticking pins or piston(s) or bad hoses.
On one car the L/front wheel was black but the R/side was almost none, the L/front had a stiff piston. The E3 new calipers are very good.

4 to 5 thousand is a real world limit these guys know what they’re talking about

most techs don’t even own a dial indicator nor do they care about a comeback 1 in 20 times

Back