Ravenol VSE 0w20

I was looking at this oil and it has some of the best specs I have ever seen. CCS@-35 is 3250. MRV@-40 is 8400. Pour point -60. The rest of the specs are awesome too looks like a real winner Only bad part.....expensive.

It is expensive, Baluparts missed getting it in stock in time for my first change on the VW ...

Got some coming and will do a VOA when I change but it will be a while.

I also hope they keep it in stock and I don't like it but find it is unobtainium when I need it...

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
One of the QSUD HM's has a pour point of - 66. Crazy

Good to have in case you make a wrong turn and end up in Antarctica....

And yet none have a 0W winter rating, correct? A good illustration how the pour point doesn't necessarily relate to real-world starting and pumping performance and why it was abandoned for this purpose.

Originally Posted by kschachn

And yet none have a 0W winter rating, correct? A good illustration how the pour point doesn't necessarily relate to real-world starting and pumping performance and why it was abandoned for this purpose.

Uhh, no. It's the 0w20 version. The 5w20 version is -60.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Pour point means nothing inside a engine. Look at the more modern specs.

Nobody has said it makes a real difference. What it does do is potentially indicate base oil quality.

There's a Quaker State Ultimate Durability High Mileage in 0W-20?

Nobody has said it makes a real difference. What it does do is potentially indicate base oil quality.
Then they must be using some great base oil (it's only fractional PAO) in Castrol Edge OE Professional LL IV 0w-20 (VW 508/509) with a pour point of -86F. Polar bears use this in their Toy "Tundras"....
It has a crank viscosity, CCS -35C (0W) DIN 51377 mPas, (cP) of 3900 which is great, but there are actually a very few other oils with higher pour points and lower CCS @-35C.
Practically, CCS & MRV win.
Get the wax out, oil pours under its own weight when super cold, is the bottom line. Cold facts. (Don't forget to tip the waitresses.)

There's a Quaker State Ultimate Durability High Mileage in 0W-20?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://www.quakerstate.com/en_ca/p...r-state-high-mileage-full-synthetic.html

While I cannot agree more, what about the time it takes for the cold oil to make it's way from the cylinder head back to the oil pan?

DuckRyder, get that through Blauparts?
I like the graphics on the front, and the use of the holographic(?) sticker of authenticity.
Got my VW 508 Castrol OE Pro LL IV oil with nice looking bottles too.

I did get it at Blauparts. It'll be interesting to see how the UOA compares to the FF and the Castrol. I agree they both have nice bottles, with the nod going to the Ravenol for packaging.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
I did get it at Blauparts. It'll be interesting to see how the UOA compares to the FF and the Castrol. I agree they both have nice bottles, with the nod going to the Ravenol for packaging.

My educated guess is absolutely no meaningful or significant difference on the UOAs. When was the last time ANY UOA of two appropriately spec'd oils, over the same OCI and assuming break-in was over for both, showed any significant difference?

Last edited:
Back