Ravenol SSL 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the primadonnas picking on Lowflyer's English, all while discussing a jack wagon non English speaking oil - keep the thread on track, please.

Looking forward to Overkill's UOA and observations.

Originally Posted by ofelas
For the primadonnas picking on Lowflyer's English, all while discussing a jack wagon non English speaking oil - keep the thread on track, please.

Looking forward to Overkill's UOA and observations.

you too... since nobody is picking on Lowflyers english

Originally Posted by Lowflyer
Slava, I have never wrote, Castrol 0W-40 is "trash". Please a little bit more alertness
wink.gif

229.5 is a quite modest approval. Its good, but nothing demanding in it. Any contemporary A3 should be handle 229.5.

It is demanding, and much more than A3.
Get your facts correct.

Originally Posted by Lowflyer
TBN? TBN is ok, when its ok. How poor was it?
I self don't know better or worse TBN. TBN is "reserve". If you have reserve, you have reserve. 4, 3 or 1.68... its reserve
wink.gif
Its furthemore all good, if you have fruthemore reserve. For me the oil shall not "retention" TBN. TBN have to work (imho)

Wear more or less ok, but stay in grade for 40?
https://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22545925
In my buddies BMW Alpina B3 S Biturbo (N54B30) it was after 9.400 miles a 0W-30 (11.70). NewLife was 9.200 miles later, on 13.15.

Now M1 0W-40 is no more NewLife and primarily, no more Venom
cry.gif
I also don't like it, not anymore. I had love Venom.
Castrol 0W-30 is one of a better 0W-30. For 0W-40 its no longer applicable.

Do it. Its ok
02.gif
This oil will be not take blow up the engine. Its not the best, but also not catastrophic decision.

But extol Castrol 0W-40, now, it will be no one oil-nerd understand in the EU. We were quite pis... with Castrol, as we find out (in expensive spectra analyses) that the base oils are worse than before (with equate prices) and Castrol pump their best base oils now mostle to 0W-30 (504 & Co.) and 508 oils.
Not its GropuIII and are also very sensitive for fuel discharge. IMHO (own observations auf UOAs) double sensitive than before.

No, thanks, Use it. Keep it.

edit:
All of this, imho. This is not academic analysis nor of course stand up in court stuff
23.gif

TBN works, but when your TBN is at 2.3 after 5k (0W40) than it is a problem!
What does it matter what is base oil? Only thing that matters is final product, period.

Originally Posted by edyvw
It is demanding, and much more than A3.
Well, sorry. I cant discovered oils in the EU, than have A3, are 5W-40 or 0W-40, and cant master 229.5 challenge. Maybe ist regional thing. in that case, my fault.

Or maybe Iam the victim of my perception, than I click instantly through, if the oil have more than 10% Noack.

TBN works, but when your TBN is at 2.3 after 5k (0W40) than it is a problem!
Yep. THAN it is a problem. You are right.

What does it matter what is base oil? Only thing that matters is final product, period.
That is simply. Its still and yet the base oil (mix), than lubricate. Not the addpack. Addpack is the butler, not the master.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by 21Rouge
So there is no reason to UOA this current run of Ravenol
21.gif

No no, I'm certainly going to UOA it, but i expect that what I can glean from the UOA will be that it was suitable for continued use with reasonable levels of contamination.

OVERKILL,

Any good news for the UOA?
wink.gif

Originally Posted by aleneros
21.gif

No no, I'm certainly going to UOA it, but i expect that what I can glean from the UOA will be that it was suitable for continued use with reasonable levels of contamination.

OVERKILL,

wink.gif

Yes, there will be a UOA, but it will be from my 2020 SRT now, since I have divested myself of the 2016. It has SSL in it right now, not sure if I will sample this fill, which should have a lot of break-in material in it, or the next, which should have less.

Thanks OVERKILL for the update, looking forward to UOA
smile.gif

You are quite welcome!

What was your break in OCI?

21.gif

OVERKILL,

wink.gif

Yes, there will be a UOA, but it will be from my 2020 SRT now, since I have divested myself of the 2016. It has SSL in it right now, not sure if I will sample this fill, which should have a lot of break-in material in it, or the next, which should have less.

Originally Posted by 330indy
What was your break in OCI?

1,120Km was when I removed the Factory Fill.

Originally Posted by 330indy
never a bad idea

Agreed. It looked surprisingly clean (free of shiny stuff), but I didn't cut the filter so I don't know how much metal was in it.

Cant wait. Ordered Ravenol 10w50 for a V10 BMW M6. No track use so fingers crossed it dosent blow up. Any input vs Castrol 10w60 Overkill? Thanks!

I never used the "unicorn tears" Castrol TWS 10w-60 in anything so I can't really comment on it.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by V10
Cant wait. Ordered Ravenol 10w50 for a V10 BMW M6. No track use so fingers crossed it dosent blow up. Any input vs Castrol 10w60 Overkill? Thanks!

Why not this then:
https://www.ravenolamerica.com/categories/motor-oil/oil-by-weight/5w50-oil.html

If you are ging grade down, go 5W. As far as I know, rod bearing issue is related to cold oil performance.

I was considering 5w. Based on the Data sheet (if true) HTHS on 10w50 (5.3) - vs - 5w (4.5) Viscosity almost identical at 40 and 100c. Same for TBN.
Lower NOACK in the 10w.

10w - 6.1 vs 5w - 7.5

From my minimal knowledge seemed like the safest choice. Im super new to all this so any pointers are appreciated.

Will do a VOA when it arrives.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back