Ravenol SSL 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ofelas
You'll be trying the Ravenol 0w40 in both vehicles Overkill?

Nope, the truck has M1 EP 0w-20 in it, Ravenol 0w-40 is for the Jeep.

Originally Posted by aleneros
Look forward having the UOA from you
smile.gif

I take it no one has done a UOA on this viscosity?

(In fact I see only one Ravenol UOA in total for any viscosity ie VMP 5W-30)

Originally Posted by 21Rouge
smile.gif

I've got a VOA sample here that I'll send off to Toromont so we have something to go by.

Originally Posted by geeman789
Originally Posted by JHZR2
Isn't this stuff like $10/qt?

M1 EP is $ 16.00 CDN per 1 liter bottle at Canadian Tire ... !

Yeah but I meant in the USA where oil is cheaper!

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
smile.gif

I've got a VOA sample here that I'll send off to Toromont so we have something to go by.

Mailed this today, will post it up once I get the report.

OK, Ravenol is in the Jeep!

Oil colour was a BRIGHT amber, looked like honey, which my buddy at the dealer (we changed it on the hoist at the shop and put a W/O in to record it in the system) thought was interesting. I'll run this for the OLM, which will probably be 8-10K and then grab a sample and send it off to Toromont and we can contrast with the VOA.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
This assumes what's in the bottle is what RAVENOL says is in the bottle. Until there's clarification I still have a bad taste over the DXG Dexos G1D2 thread.
Yes, and https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4495457/ shows only 4 ppm moly, while https://oil-club.de/index.php?thread/1892-ravenol-ssl-0w-40/ has 54 ppm moly. Both bottles were from 2016.
I'm not clear on why the Russian Oil Club was so distrusting of Ravenol, and makes you wonder what could be going on.

Last edited:
This assumes what's in the bottle is what RAVENOL says is in the bottle. Until there's clarification I still have a bad taste over the DXG Dexos G1D2 thread.

Ditto. Too many wrong oils in the wrong bottles, both here and in VOAs posted on the RU forum. Has scared me away, at least for now.

Hope OVERKILL gets a voa and/or uoa on this. Maybe it won't show any strange batch control problems. It would add 1 sample to a few seen so far. At least what can be see in an oil analysis (no organic compounds show up, and most don't test for tungsten FM which Ravenol claims to use).
Its a shame because Ravenol oils on paper are great. Wonder what the odds of getting a bad batch is?

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Yes, and https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4495457/ shows only 4 ppm moly, while https://oil-club.de/index.php?thread/1892-ravenol-ssl-0w-40/ has 54 ppm moly. Both bottles were from 2016. .....I'm not clear on why the Russian Oil Club was so distrusting of Ravenol, and makes you wonder what could be going on.

Originally Posted by claluja
Ditto. Too many wrong oils in the wrong bottles, both here and in VOAs posted on the RU forum. Has scared me away, at least for now.

I found a previous post which 'summarizes' what the Russians were saying, which happens to match the Quality Control (batch consistency & content reliability) problem found on BITOG.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3013275/2
Originally Posted by Dmitry_K
Originally Posted by Jasper8146
Thanks very much for going to all the trouble you did to post. To make sure I understand what you said, you're saying that your experience is that Ravenol motor oils are not consistent, that in one bottle you may have good oil that meets the specifications on the bottle, but in another bottle, the oil may not be so good and may not meet the specifications listed on it?
Yes, that's right.

Last edited:
I would expect Mercedes, BMW, Porsche....etc to pull their approvals if this was a real issue
21.gif

And yes, I got a VOA, it is already sent in, I will post it once I get it back.

I would expect Mercedes, BMW, Porsche....etc to pull their approvals if this was a real issue
21.gif

And yes, I got a VOA, it is already sent in, I will post it once I get it back.

There is many counterfills and fake oils in Russia too. Just saying.

21.gif

Anybody know what quality sampling dexos1, 229.5, a40, API, etc. is done? I've never found a good source of info on the issue.
One might think that, after the qualification test runs, random samples are taken in for compositional analysis, a VOA on steroids would work.

The other day someone wanted to know what 229.51/52 oil to use in a 2020 Mercedes, and there is an argument for using Mercedes' own house-brand oil since you'd expect Merc would sample it once in a while as an intermediary, in addition to the blender's own quality control. (Mercedes oil was reasonable in price over Amazon, surprisingly.) I'll usually recommend house-brand German car oil from now on for the same makes.

Last edited:
a little push here so it won't sink
smile.gif

Still waiting for my VOA to come back from Toromont
smile.gif

Maybe you posted in this thread ie when can we expect a UOA (kms and time)?

In ~10,000Km, so when the Jeep has roughly 50,000Km on it. That should take about 4-6 months.

a little push here so it won't sink
smile.gif

Still waiting for my VOA to come back from Toromont
smile.gif

We want VOA~ we want VOA
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back