Ravenol RSP vs REP vs DXG

I've searched and read alot of different threads about these oils. Just trying to figure out which would be best for Turbo Direct Injection (Ford Fiesta ST 1.6). I'm looking for something that is D1G2, low saps, etc, etc. No long OCI's and the car is driven very hard, lots of track days. I don't care about cost either, that's menial.
It looks like Blauparts might not be carrying the REP any longer.

The other option I might consider is the Catrol Edge 0w40 from Wallyworld.....if it can hold up.

Any opinions or recommendations?

Thanks guys.

It looks like Blauparts might not be carrying the REP any longer.

Sad as that's what I'd suggest using in a DI turbo. RUP is very similar
and just a tad thicker. Personally I will continue using REP in both my
Mini and my VW, while I'm using RCS (high SAPS) in my Porsche for
some years. DXG is looking excellent from specs (PP -60°C, FP 256°C,
Noack 6.0 %, API SN Plus, API SP RC, GM dexos1 Gen 2), but its HTHS
of just 3.1 mPas isn't convincing me for my applications. REP is 3.7 and
RUP is 3.9 mPas. RSP is mid to higher SAPS which I find unnessary but
it very most likely won't harm your catalyst to be fair. It depends on oil
consumption anyway. VMP is another fully synthetic which I had used
in my GTI as it comes with VW 504 00 approval, but it lacks the Tungsten
that Ravenol's Racing line and DXG come with.

Sad as that's what I'd suggest using in a DI turbo. RUP is very similar
and just a tad thicker. Personally I will continue using REP in both my
Mini and my VW, while I'm using RCS (high SAPS) in my Porsche for
some years. DXG is looking excellent from specs (PP -60°C, FP 256°C,
Noack 6.0 %, API SN Plus, API SP RC, GM dexos1 Gen 2), but its HTHS
of just 3.1 mPas isn't convincing me for my applications. REP is 3.7 and
RUP is 3.9 mPas. RSP is mid to higher SAPS which I find unnessary but
it very most likely won't harm your catalyst to be fair. It depends on oil
consumption anyway. VMP is another fully synthetic which I had used
in my GTI as it comes with VW 504 00 approval, but it lacks the Tungsten
that Ravenol's Racing line and DXG come with.

All of your points are exactly what I was reading/thinking....and why I'm confused. Lol.
I like the RSP for the higher HTHS, but like you, the higher SAPS has me concerned, especially in this application, where I feel like I definitely need a lower SAPS oil because of the turbo gdi.
I still can't make a decision. GDX with a lower HTHS and lower SAPS, or RSP with a higher HTHS and SAPS.

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it very much.

I never thought of Ravenol as a top shelf oil but more of a mid tier. Castrol 0w40, Mobil 1 5w30 esp or Mobil 1 0w40 will work as well as anything you can buy in that engine. Don't buy into the advertising or boutique BS, many are more sizzle than steak. JM2C

I never thought of Ravenol as a top shelf oil but more of a mid tier. Castrol 0w40, Mobil 1 5w30 esp or Mobil 1 0w40 will work as well as anything you can buy in that engine. Don't buy into the advertising or boutique BS, many are more sizzle than steak. JM2C

Well, this car is on E85 and methanol and on the track quite a bit. It sheared Amsoil SS 5w30 down in 2k miles. I was looking for something a little more robust.

Castrol 0w40 or higher HTHS oils are pretty robust oils. No surprise a HTHS 3.1 oil sheared, amsoil also has a high HTHS 0w40 that would also probably be better suited to your use.

Castrol 0w40 or higher HTHS oils are pretty robust oils. No surprise a HTHS 3.1 oil sheared, amsoil also has a high HTHS 0w40 that would also probably be better suited to your use.
How is the Amsoil 0w40 on SAPS, deposits, etc?

What about the Amsoil SS 10w30? Would that resist shearing better?
Do you know the HTHS on this and the 0w40?

I tracked my FIST Stage 3 several times over the 35,000 miles I had it. Id routinely see 250 degree oil temps and ran 5w-20. Never had a problem but I only owned the car for 3 years.

Enjoy! - I sure do miss mine.

I tracked my FIST Stage 3 several times over the 35,000 miles I had it. Id routinely see 250 degree oil temps and ran 5w-20. Never had a problem but I only owned the car for 3 years.

Enjoy! - I sure do miss mine.
What's crazy, is that Amsoil seems to think I'm over cooling the oil. Here in San Diego I've tracked the car in 110*, and my hottest oil temp to date, is 227* (external oil temp and Guage, not the AP).

I bought mine new in 2018, a 2017 model, and it has 17k miles on it.....mostly hard driven and track miles. It's a TT5 track car, caged, gutted, etc

Well, this car is on E85 and methanol and on the track quite a bit. It sheared Amsoil SS 5w30 down in 2k miles. I was looking for something a little more robust.
Are you sure it was mechanical shear or was it fuel dilution? How are you determining shear?

Are you sure it was mechanical shear or was it fuel dilution? How are you determining shear?
I'm assuming it was mechanical shear due to the UOA.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211013-160558_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211013-160558_Gallery.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 108
What's crazy, is that Amsoil seems to think I'm over cooling the oil. Here in San Diego I've tracked the car in 110*, and my hottest oil temp to date, is 227* (external oil temp and Guage, not the AP).

I bought mine new in 2018, a 2017 model, and it has 17k miles on it.....mostly hard driven and track miles. It's a TT5 track car, caged, gutted, etc

My temps were based off the AP so im sure they are not as accurate.

Again, Enjoy! It was a great car.

Why do you think Ravenol is boutique? All of the mentioned except for RCS
do come with reputable approvals. Not a typical thing for boutique oils. The
specs (Noack, flashpoint, pourpoint, CCS) are more than hard to beat. Surely
far from being just snake oil.

Because isn't D1G2 supposedly the best type of oil for these TGDI's?

I agree on MParr's question. I'd rate MB 229.5/51/52, BMW LL-04, Porsche C40
and VW 504 00/511 00 higher than Dexos. That still leds to the conclusion that
REP and RUP in particular should perform well in any modern turbo DI engine.

Well, it looks like Blauparts no longer carries REP or RSP. RUP in 5w40 is still available tho, but I have no idea about the SAPS or HTHS on this oil.

Where did I say it was a boutique oil? It is not, what it is is a mid tier oil depending on "Made in Germany" advertising.
Did you read the other thread on this oil where there were significant differences between batches?
I said..
Don't buy into the advertising or boutique BS, many are more sizzle than steak. JM2C

Hi! We Ravenol there is one serious enough problem. Features fresh oils vary greatly from batch to batch. It all started after the winter testing amateur Ravenol VSI 5W-40, in which the oil is from the same batch had a good flow, and the other was more of a murky and there was less fluid. Then there were the tests Ravenol HCl 5W30, here's the first test of this oil: Ravenol HCL first test . Judging by the VOA - excellent oil. With the stock satisfies the Mercedes-benz 229.5, also in the possible presence of esters.However, not so long ago has been tested oil from the other party, after the change of packaging, the results here: Ravenol HCL second test . And here is the real problem is visible. The fact that requires 229.5 TBN > 8 (or 9 forgotten something I) whereas active HCL showed significantly lower value and is not entered in tolerance requirements. However, on the packaging of the oil is still written 229.5. This is the second time for a short time when oil Ravenol show completely different characteristics of oils with the same tolerances. We tested the oil by other manufacturers (such as Mobil1), characteristics of oils from different parties were very close (at the level of measurement error.) Sorry for my English, I use google translate. Best regards.

RUP in 5w40 is still available tho, but I have no idea about the SAPS or HTHS on this oil.

RUP is same .8 % SAPS as REP. I mentioned HTHS and it's specced by the manufacturer.
Just see the links below. RUP is virtually same formulation as REP except for slightly thicker
base oils. While REP is at the thicker end of 5W-30, RUP is at the thinner end of 5W-40.
Honestly, I doubt you'll notice the difference.
Both BMW LL-04, MB 229.51 and probably also Porsche C40 and VW 511 010 mandate
fuel savings requirements that can only be accomplished by using not too thick base oils.
Generally all MB 229.5/51 and BMW LL-04 approved PCMOs are fairly close in viscosity
whether they're 5W-30 or 0W/5W-40. A thinner 0/5W-30 at 9.5 cSt and 3.0 mPas wouldn't
meet the requirements, as well as a thicker 5W-40 at 15.7 cSt (100°C) and 4.5 mPas HTHS
very most likely wouldn't.

....... RUP is very similar and just a tad thicker. ......
....... (HTHS:) REP is 3.7 and RUP is 3.9 mPas. .......

Where did I say it was a boutique oil? It is not, what it is is a mid tier oil depending on "Made in Germany" advertising.
Did you read the other thread on this oil where there were significant differences between batches?
I said..

I seem to have got you wrong then. I have read that discussion you refer to some time ago.
I doubt batches do vary. Actually cheap consumer oil analysises do vary. You cannot assess
viscosities based on imprecise analysises. We use to see the same with Blackstone. If I do
remember correctly that discussion refered to a German forum where expertise is rare. The
only things worth reading on that forum are VOAs and UOAs, but you need to draw your
own conclusions from them.
That said, I don't think Ravenol are going the 'Made in Germany' route just like LM. Their
data sheets makes no mention of it. It's just on the bottle. I see lots of US made products
saying 'proudly made in America'. Nothing wrong with that. I almost only buy European and
American stuff anyway, in particular when it comes to cars. Bad enough my smartphone is
assembled in China. Wish it was made in Cupertino.

Last edited:
Back