RAV4 Towing Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by madRiver
You can tow one ATV with a very light(Aluminum) 500 lb trailer.

I think you needed the V6 RAV4 with towing package to safely tow a pair of ATV's. I know these can tow likely 3500 lbs given the trailer I borrow from a V6 RAV4 owner.

+1
Toyota says 1500 lbs, there is a very good reason for this. The problem isn't weather or not the RAV4 will pull the weight, the problem is STOPPING (as others have stated),

Originally Posted by wag123

I think you needed the V6 RAV4 with towing package to safely tow a pair of ATV's. I know these can tow likely 3500 lbs given the trailer I borrow from a V6 RAV4 owner.

+1
Toyota says 1500 lbs, there is a very good reason for this. The problem isn't weather or not the RAV4 will pull the weight, the problem is STOPPING (as others have stated),

Indeed, although IIRC the front brakes are the same between I4 and V6. I think rear brakes may be somewhat larger, but it's been too long.

I don't think trailer brakes are that expensive to add. I think I looked into once and it was like maybe $300. But it's been a while. Oh and then you need the brake controller. Anyhow. This has less to do with the tow vehicle and more to do with the trailer -- I'm not sure how people can sell trailers with GVWR just under 3k without brakes. I know NH state law "allows" my Tundra to tow that much without brakes, but still. Seems sketchy.

Originally Posted by Danno
I suggest renting a pickup truck for the 5 trips.
I would not be comfortable towing that weight with the RAV4.

I was just about to type this.

Someone once said:

The Toy Rav4 is a glorified, jacked up unit body Celica

1500 lb MAX with trailer brakes required towing 600 pounds or more. The V6 was rated for 3500 ONLY if it had the Toyota Tow Prep package. Without it the top rating was 2000 pounds. Brakes required for V6 also. The I4 has slightly smaller brakes than the V6 unless it has 3 row seating.

You need to weigh the trailer with one ATV aboard and get an exact number. That would include gas cans or whatever else would be on the trailer normally. That weight figure will tell you yea or nay but you'll still have the expense of adding trailer brakes and a controller. Wiring can be tricky due to LED tail lights.

Last edited:
We own a RAV4 and the most I ever towed with it was a pop up camper that weighed about 1,100 pounds for a short distance on the highway one time. Pulling the weight was okay but braking and handling did not feel up to par. The RAV4 is a good vehicle but it's not a good tow vehicle.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by wag123

+1

Indeed, although IIRC the front brakes are the same between I4 and V6. I think rear brakes may be somewhat larger, but it's been too long.

I don't think trailer brakes are that expensive to add. I think I looked into once and it was like maybe $300. But it's been a while. Oh and then you need the brake controller. Anyhow. This has less to do with the tow vehicle and more to do with the trailer -- I'm not sure how people can sell trailers with GVWR just under 3k without brakes. I know NH state law "allows" my Tundra to tow that much without brakes, but still. Seems sketchy.

When it comes to towing, the problem with braking isn't because of the tow vehicle's brakes themselves, braking is a function of the weight of the tow vehicle combined with tire traction. Because of this, the combined weight of the vehicle and trailer can be a problem under hard braking. On a given vehicle that weighs a given amount, braking distances rise dramatically with increased trailer weight. That is why trailer brakes are necessary (and required by law in most states) on heavier trailers. Even on the RAV4 V/6 with the higher tow rating, trailer brakes are needed (and Toyota requires them) when towing 2000 lbs or more because it will pull but it won't stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back