Towing Question - can I tow this safely?

I need to tow a 2011 Toyota Highlander with my 2020 Ram 1500 using a U-Haul Car Carrier. Based on the numbers below, can it be done safely? No WDH will be available.

Ram:
Towing Capacity: 8,270
Payload: ~1700 lbs

U-Haul Car Carrier:
Weight: 2,210 lbs.

Highlander:
Curb Weight: 4464 lbs

EDIT:
3 hr trip, 1 hr of which will be in mountainous conditions with a lot of downhill.

Last edited:
duration of tow?
what hitch does your truck have?

Without that info, I'd say possibly yes.
you could always tell them a lighter car if you want to tow and it doesnt exceed your tongue weight.

duration of tow?
what hitch does your truck have?
3 hrs of driving, 1hr of which would be in mountainous conditions with a decent amount of downhill.
Factory Class-IV hitch.

As long as you're not trying to set speed records you'll be fine.

The Uhaul car haulers put a lot of weight on the tongue so I wouldn't load the ram up with 4 people and make the trip, but if you're going solo you won't have a problem. Just take your time in the moutains.

Reactions: wlk
I think it would be a cautious ok as long as you dont try to win races.
that hitch is rated for 1275lb of tongue weight and 6700 is under the 8270 capacity of the vehicle

Also that trailer has surge brakes but uhaul equipment is notoriously undermaintained at least in my area.
and the load will be top heavy, high center of gravity.

Use the gear lock out and utilize as much engine braking as possible downhill.. check that the trailer brakes arent going to catch on fire after a few downhills etc.
Very important CHECK TIRE PRESSURE of the uhaul trailer.. before loading.

I would do it.. but I dont know your level of towing experience.. seems less than comfortable but doable.
Anytime your towed load weighs more than the truck extra caution is warranted.

I need to tow a 2011 Toyota Highlander with my 2020 Ram 1500 using a U-Haul Car Carrier. Based on the numbers below, can it be done safely? No WDH will be available.

Ram:
Towing Capacity: 8,270
Payload: ~1700 lbs

U-Haul Car Carrier:
Weight: 2,210 lbs.

Highlander:
Curb Weight: 4464 lbs

EDIT:
3 hr trip, 1 hr of which will be in mountainous conditions with a lot of downhill.
I do not see a problem, but I would give a full inspection to U-Haul if you are using it the first time.

Yes, I do that kind of towing regularly with any of my 3 F150's. It is not a problem what so ever!

The only thing to keep in mind when towing with a 150/1500 (half ton) is that while you can tow at 70MPH, it is a lot easier on the truck to tow at 65 or slower. Your trailer will have adequate brakes, so stopping should not be a problem.

Last edited:
The truck will have no problem. Only concern is panic braking down an incline since there will not be electric brakes. Hopefully the surge brakes will work. Go slow down mountains and always watch way ahead, and you will be fine.
Maybe air up rear tires to max load if they are p-metric.

My son used my 07 Dodge 1500 to tow his 1990 F150 long bed home from Rolla Missouri. It had the 4.9 in his truck with a four speed, Mine had the 5.7 with automatic. Towed it easily and got 11mpg on the run. Love my 07 Laramie. We had the aluminum car hauler from U-Haul and it barely fit on that trailer.

The only downside of Uhaul trailers especially with that load are the surge brakes. They can be really jerky and 6000 lbs is a lot of load.

Downshifting in the hills will make the tow easier on your truck, have a smooth trip.

Use Tow/Haul if you have it, be sure your rear tires are aired up to max sidewall cold (I’ll even do 5 PSI over), make sure the Auto-Hauler tires are inflated to max sidewall cold-and MAKE SURE THE TRAILER TIRES HAVE NO NAILS IN THEM!! Don’t ask how I know… You don’t get a spare trailer tire, and if one fails you’ll be stuck on the side of the road waiting for U-Haul’s infamous roadside assistance!

Yes, I do that kind of towing regularly with any of my 3 F150's. It is not a problem what so ever!

The only thing to keep in mind when towing with a 150/1500 (half ton) is that while you can tow at 70MPH, it is a lot easier on the truck to tow at 65 or slower. Your trailer will have adequate brakes, so stopping should not be a problem.
He is in California. Speed limit for trailers is 55.

Go slow down mountains and always watch way ahead, and you will be fine.
This. The energy your brakes have to stop increases as the square of the increase in speed. Tow slowly downhill and it's not a race on the flats.

Unless the Highlander is AWD, why not use a tow dolly? 1800 pounds less from the get go.
No brakes on the tow dolly, and in my opinion, they are more of a pain than they're worth. I'll take the extra weight along with all the negatives of it to use a car carrier. Plus he's going a long(ish) distance. The carrier will be the better pull.

No brakes on the tow dolly, and in my opinion, they are more of a pain than they're worth. I'll take the extra weight along with all the negatives of it to use a car carrier. Plus he's going a long(ish) distance. The carrier will be the better pull.
To each his own. I've had a tow dolly over 30 years which has no brakes and felt safe towing 4000 pounds over 1000 miles. Of course you drive extra cautious and keep a following distance like an 18 wheeler. The easier maneuverability and parking would make it my first choice in most any case.

Back