B&W Tow and Stow Trailer Hitch

I have a 2020 Ram 1500 with the factory-installed Class III receiver and trailer brake controller. I plan to rent a U-Haul Auto Transporter to transport my FIL’s Camry from Southern CA to Northern CA, which is a 350 mile drive.

This will be my first time towing and I do not own any of the required equipment, but figured it may be a good opportunity to invest in a B&W (or similar) hitch.

Based on my research, 2 and 2 5/16” balls are probably most common for this weight class. Similarly, I do not foresee myself needing more than a 3” drop since my truck is not lifted.

Is there any reason I should consider the 3-ball model with a 1 7/8” ball or the B&W model with the 5” drop?

Thanks!

3B118400-E5D6-43B4-BBFC-2280B9E5AA03.jpeg

Last edited:
I would strongly recommend visiting the dealer you intend to rent from. They should be able to set you up with whatever you need to properly pull their equipment.
Agreed, unless you know exactly the hitch height of the trailer, then you'll know the proper ball mount to buy. I have pulled several U-Haul trailers and found you need either a 2" or 2 5/16" ball.

Also, tow slowly - safety is no accident...

I just did an 800 mile round trip with a U-Haul Auto transport trailer last weekend. Tow vehicle was a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 with the Max Trailering package. Being hauled was a 1952 Chevy DeLuxe.

U-Haul auto transport trailers have their own braking system, using a surge brake. A trailer controller on the tow vehicle isn't used or needed.

I used a 2" ball, on a straight triple ball mount. The largest it will accept is a 2". I use a triple simply for versatility. https://www.harborfreight.com/triple-ball-trailer-hitch-64286.html

Looking at your picture, your hitch height is just fine. You won't need a drop mount. You're not too high. Plus, the loaded trailer will bring your receiver down 2-3 inches.

Your truck will also need to be able to accept a 4 pin trailer light plug. If your truck only has a 7 pin (which is round), you will need a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter. https://www.harborfreight.com/seven-way-blade-to-4-way-flat-trailer-adapter-64495.html These can be also bought at U-Haul, assuming the location you go to has them in stock.

Another issue is to know how to strap the car down to the trailer, using the supplied straps and chains.

There is one problem with going to U-Haul for any sort of advice, is that they have to hire people who don't know anything more about it than you do. All they are trained to do is to, is to properly hook the trailer up to your vehicle, and then they take a picture of it for liability.

IMG_20210924_094821304_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed, unless you know exactly the hitch height of the trailer, then you'll know the proper ball mount to buy. I have pulled several U-Haul trailers and found you need either a 2" or 2 5/16" ball.

Also, tow slowly - safety is no accident...
This.

I have three receivers, all with different drops, all take the Reese balls with the hex base that lock into place. I keep the 2" drop in the truck, as it's the one we use most frequently (works for both boat trailers), the 4" (ATV trailer) and straight are in the house. Last time I towed a U-haul car hauler it was with our old 2002 Expedition, I used the 2" drop one, I remember guys on here poking fun at the rear of it squatting a bit, lol. But that was the right height for that vehicle.

The ones I've rented have all had the 2" ball. They are heavy trailers (well built).

I have a 2020 Ram 1500 with the factory-installed Class III receiver and trailer brake controller. I plan to rent a U-Haul Auto Transporter to transport my FIL’s Camry from Southern CA to Northern CA, which is a 350 mile drive.

This will be my first time towing and I do not own any of the required equipment, but figured it may be a good opportunity to invest in a B&W (or similar) hitch.

Based on my research, 2 and 2 5/16” balls are probably most common for this weight class. Similarly, I do not foresee myself needing more than a 3” drop since my truck is not lifted.

Is there any reason I should consider the 3-ball model with a 1 7/8” ball or the B&W model with the 5” drop?

Thanks!

View attachment 72669
A lot of trailers are around 16-17 inch coupler height. The top of your receiver is 20 .

I would not spend that much for a towing ball. Set up.
Something like this is plenty.
Again I'd contact u haul first see if the know their coupler height.

You could need a 2 1/2 inch drop or a 3 1/4 to 4. Maybe even go by there and see a trailer sitting fairly level, and measure the height and compare to the measurement at the top of your receiver.

Better for the trailer to be a tad low than high. A high tongue puts more weight to the rear and can lead to more sway problems. Not enough tongue weight leads to sway, especially with a non WD, non sway control hitch.

Last edited:
Just let the U-haul dealer handle your requirements. Most locations are more than competent in this regards.

Just let the U-haul dealer handle your requirements. Most locations are more than competent in this regards.
Ummm. No. They're just like everyone else out there. They're hiring whoever they can, who will take the job. I'm not sure how many 18 and 19 year old towing experts that U-Haul has hired lately.

This isn't 2019 anymore...

towing is nothing to fool around with. If you aren't comfortable selecting a ball and hitch let a retailer help you. Personally I would not but a 3 way hitch. Trying to save a few bucks on the hitch can be expensive if something goes wrong. FWIW, I own several different hitches and each hitch has a specific purpose. I am confident they will work as intended.

just my $0.02

U haul will set you up with the correct drop ball mount. I've towed a Sable and a Malibu on a U haul drive on trailer with my Tahoe. Surge brakes are used on U haul trailers. U haul trailer is heavy by itself.
I've got 4 trailers myself and a 2'' drop and a 8'' drop ball mounts cover all my trailers to get them level.
First time towing heavy give at least triple the following distance on the road. First time you come to a stop you'll find that out.

Ummm. No. They're just like everyone else out there. They're hiring whoever they can, who will take the job. I'm not sure how many 18 and 19 year old towing experts that U-Haul has hired lately.

This isn't 2019 anymore...
We disagree. Their job is installing hitches and making sure you are safe. I understand that on this forum there is big time phobia letting some else work on your vehicle, or for the fact of a matter paying someone else who could actually have more knowledge than you. The issue on this forum are people who comment on threads like this with ZERO KNOWLEDGE of towing. The 19 year olds at U- Haul know more!

Consider using a tow dolly instead of a trailer. Will cut 1500 lbs from your combined weight, and probably a few feet of length as well.

My receiver is 1.5" higher than yours and things handled fine without any drop.

What weight class are we talking? A uhaul trailer is 2200 lbs and a camry 3500-- 2" balls are out there that are good for 6k.

Last edited:
Consider using a tow dolly instead of a trailer. Will cut 1500 lbs from your combined weight, and probably a few feet of length as well.

My receiver is 1.5" higher than yours and things handled fine without any drop.

What weight class are we talking? A uhaul trailer is 2200 lbs and a camry 3500-- 2" balls are out there that are good for 6k.
2X I got stuck using a drive on once as they had no dollies when I needed to tow my son's car. I've towed both and the dolly is not a problem.
I prefer the dolly also due the the weight reduction and loading a ''dead'' vehicle is easier.

Thankfully, I was able to drive the car home so towing was not necessary.

However, I did purchase and receive the 5” version of the B&W tow and stow hitch. Here are a few pictures:

4FD91615-2A68-4267-ABBB-C3D288184369.jpeg
3B5BFDA4-24D5-4403-8C4A-14A37DC2A30C.jpeg

To me, it hangs a bit too low for this truck so I returned it. Mine is a 2WD with the base 18" tires.

The 3” version is probably more appropriate for this application.

Back