RAV4 Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
2005-2014

Quote:
Toyota said Thursday it is recalling nearly 2.9 million sports utility vehicles, including more than 1.1 million in the U.S., because of seat belts that might fail in a crash.

The recall covers RAV4 SUVS from the 2005 through 2014 model years, the RAV4 electric vehicle from 2012 through 2014, sold in North America, and the Vanguard sold in Japan from 2005-2016, the Japanese automaker said.

Toyota says it's possible the belts in both second-row window seats could come in contact with a metal seat cushion frame in a severe frontal crash.

If that happens, the belts could be cut and would not restrain passengers.

The company says it will add plastic covers to the metal frame at no cost to customers.

The recall also affects 625,000 vehicles in Europe, 434,000 vehicles in China and 177,000 in Japan.

Doesn't bother me, figured I'd post it--I know RAV4's are a bit sparse here but I'm sure someone here owns one.

Is designing a seat belt setup something new? Is it difficult? What's going on here? Is Toyota getting a bit sloppy with their work?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Is Toyota getting a bit sloppy with their work?

Yes. Didn't a recent CEO resign over that fact? Resulting from the fiascos that came up in the early 2000's.

Getting Sloppy? have you driven that excuse for a truck called a Taco, Ma! Like a 80's TOYOTA Mark II rear ended by an oxcart.

Seen the abysmal quality of the Camry in the mid 2000's?

Is designing a seat belt setup something new? Is it difficult? What's going on here? Is Toyota getting a bit sloppy with their work?

Is designing an ignition switch something new? Is it difficult? What's going on here? Is GM getting a bit sloppy with their work?

wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I knew that somehow this would become a GM bashing thread.

Yeah but it was first Toyota bashing thread... by Toyota owners no less.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Is designing an ignition switch something new? Is it difficult? What's going on here? Is GM getting a bit sloppy with their work?

wink.gif

+1 on that! Did Ford get sloppy on Pinto gas tank design? Did VW get "sloppy" on diesel emission control, or was THAT intentional? Was the Corvair swing axle design done to a high engineering standard?

I figured we were about at the end of the Chrysler bashing cycle.

Good that Toyota is moving BITOG forward.

I think that Subaru is next on the list. You GM bashers be patient.

The very first ever, POS car I bought some 41 years ago was an Opel Kadet. I swore off that brand for the rest of my life.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

The very first ever, POS car I bought some 41 years ago was an Opel Kadet. I swore off that brand for the rest of my life.
grin.gif

LOL!

Where's the guy that always complains about his 1966 Dart? That must have been some awful car, half a century later the guy still holds a grudge.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Where's the guy that always complains about his 1966 Dart? That must have been some awful car, half a century later the guy still holds a grudge.
lol.gif

Well, I'm NOT that guy, but I swore off Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge after owning a 1965 Cornet convertible back in the early 70's!
15.gif

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

grin.gif

Hey now, don't bash the Opel! I had a 73 Opel GT in high school and the young ladies absolutely loved it!!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn

wink.gif

No, but people are hanging 4 pounds of junk from their keys!

I have a 2010 Rav4.

I am trying to figure out where the rear occupant seat belt would be cut on?

I don't see any metal anywhere.

Anyways this is the second recall for this vehicle in a year. Earlier in the year I received a letter that the power window electrical unit may overheat and catch fire, but the parts were not ready yet to perform the recall work.

Something about there not being enough grease in a particular part causing it to overheat.

Overall this has been a pretty good car to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back