Rate the SuperTech oil and filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to put in the last post; it's 350K, not 250K. I guess by now, it's more than that. He did finally break down once though, his alternator went out.
grin.gif

I am writing to say,I don't know if SuperTech is a great oil or a bare minimum oil.I can say that Wal-Mart or the manufacturer of this oil has put up a considerable amount of money for this product.An oil that is API Certified and that has the API Donut does so voluntarily.The API symbols are Licensed at must be obtained by and through the API Certification process.This takes money.The formulation must be put together,expense,and then tested by API.This can cost several thousand dollars for something that is voluntary.Some of the Amsoil oils are not API Certified.SuperTech may not be the best but it also may not be the worst.Someone has put up some cash to get it Certified.

I am writing to say,I don't know if SuperTech is a great oil or a bare minimum oil.I can say that Wal-Mart or the manufacturer of this oil has put up a considerable amount of money for this product.An oil that is API Certified and that has the API Donut does so voluntarily.The API symbols are Licensed at must be obtained by and through the API Certification process.This takes money.The formulation must be put together,expense,and then tested by API.This can cost several thousand dollars for something that is voluntary.Some of the Amsoil oils are not API Certified.SuperTech may not be the best but it also may not be the worst.Someone has put up some cash to get it Certified.

quote:

Originally posted by motorguy222:
.....Someone has put up some cash to get it Certified.

Does API audit oils from time to time making sure they still meet their standards?

Hootbro

I am pretty sure that the API does audit the oils that are members of the API.I am not sure how often the audits occur but I am quite sure that they do them.The state of North Carolina also does tests on oils that are sold in that state.NC recently had some of the Coastal Unilube and Advance Auto Parts house brand 5W-30(made by Coastal)recalled.I think it was actually 10W-30 but had the 5W-30 label on it and therefore failed the test because of that.Go to www.api.org and you can find out a lot of info if you take the time.

Here is a little more about API.

The API Certification Mark, also called the "Starburst", is found on the front label of most high quality passenger car engine oils made in North America.

With so much depending on your oil's performance, it's important to select the right oil for your engine's needs. The American Petroleum Institute (API) Certification Mark identifies oils which have passed a comprehensive series of performance tests and performance audits.

These tests verify the ability of the oil to perform vitually every task expected of it in your engine, from minimizing engine wear to preventing corrosion and the build-up of deposits. By choosing oil with the API Certification Mark, you can extend the life of your engine, reduce the chance of engine failure, and help maintain emission standards to fight pollution. API Certified engine oils are recommended for passenger car engine in most parts of the world.

quote:

Originally posted by TOMBUCK:
I would not use the crap or product unless it was the last possible use only.....

Care to offer any reasoning to back up your statement. Many others in this post have provided very good information, and great resoning. As it stands, your comment detracts from this topic.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by csandste:
"Are there any 200K+ engines that had Super-Tech??"

Snip...
If consistancy of what you're getting bothers you I'd stay away. If WalMart can find another cheaper vendor when they go to SM, they're likely to change suppliers. Snip....

Consistency is a big issue with me. Still, I look Wally's hitting me for $8.47/5 qt jug of Pennzoil dino, $4.17 for ST. Maybe I can get my act together and start picking up a hoard from Pep Boys' catching it on sale when I happen to be somewhere near a Pep boys'. Maybe Wally's won't be doing a "Rollback" to $6.78.

I edited this because I forgot to indicate I edited out some other good points that didn't fit my concern with consistancy.

[ March 30, 2004, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: labman ]

I think that supertech oil and filters are fine when changed out according to your owner's manual, besides I thought most engine failures were because of cooling system issues not oil related issues. I've used supertech filters for the past 2 years now, but perfer chevron oil because it's only .99 a quart when on sale at schucks/kragen.

Agree completely. I've had very few engine-related problems in the almost 30 cars I've owned but if they don't overheat they'll probably keep going. I'm sure there's cases when a good syn. oil kept things from melting down after a catastrophic cooling system failure, but almost any oil will do fine for 4K or so. If I could pick up Chevron for that price and changed my own oil (as I have in the past) I'd say it's worth 16 cents a quart more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back