RANT - Hosed as a Canuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CKN
There is a price to be paid on National Healthcare. Really not trying to get political-but after spending time on vacation in Canada-and going to a Walmart, the higher pricing was dramatic compared to the U.S.

Those (healthcare costs) have to paid for somehow.

Hey OP-I retired early, consequently I'm paying the FULL COST for my healthcare. You can private message me and you will be appalled with what I pay and the deductible before the plan actually kicks in.

I could do a "RANT thread" (and I'm sure others could) about how were getting hosed by Healthcare. And it's costs more than a couple of anode rods.

I know what my brother pays for him, wife and child so I could imagine.

I have inlaws who are dual Citizens. The fact is there is no such thing as 'Free'. All the 'Free' stuff costs money. You pay for it.

That's not just Fox News, that's reality.

Originally Posted by 02SE
I have inlaws who are dual Citizens. The fact is there is no such thing as 'Free'. All the 'Free' stuff costs money. You pay for it.

That's not just Fox News, that's reality.

Where did I say it was "free"?

I hear your fellow Canadians bragging about 'Free' healthcare, and other social entitlements, regularly. You, are complaining about paying for those social entitlement programs. You come to the USA on buying sprees, to circumvent paying for those social entitlement programs back home, thus guaranteeing even higher prices to compensate for that lost revenue in your Country.

But you're welcome to spend your money in the USA. We appreciate it.
smile.gif

Our wool grows faster. It's cold up here afterall...
Canadian Pricing is a real thing and exists because we're too polite and compliant; tolerant of getting hosed. Things retail for much more than our US friends simply because they can.

Originally Posted by PeterPolyol
Canadian Pricing is a real thing and exists because we're too polite and compliant; tolerant of getting hosed. Things retail for much more than our US friends simply because they can.

I think your correct in your assessment of the average Canadians , but recent interactions with them they seem to be getting tired of being taxed to oblivion .

Originally Posted by Donald
Some people in Canada skate to work. How great is that? You guys also have the majority of the Krown places to spray you car.

Cannot have it all!!

And don't forget maple syrup and stronger beer!!!

Stevie,

At least you aren't paying for the install. I normally stock up on stuff when I go to US and visit the in laws.

There was a good deal of VWB on boxing day for $11.88 for 5 liter jugs.

Originally Posted by Kjmack

I think your correct in your assessment of the average Canadians , but recent interactions with them they seem to be getting tired of being taxed to oblivion .

Yeah- but they are not welling to give up their existing medical care/ system.

Originally Posted by StevieC
StevieC said:
mad.gif

I could understand the income taxes because HealthCare is federally funded here but this funding is downloaded to the provinces. Sales taxes are largely for provincial and municipal programs (through downloading) and infrastructure is how our taxes work. So whatever a business charges I don't see that rolling into our HealthCare because it's a publically funded model not private.

Stevie - Health care is federally mandated, but 94% funded at the provincial level. Provincial income taxes, provincial sales taxes, corporate taxes and payroll taxes by and large pay for the provincial share.

Mandated minimum wage increases to $14 an hour and significant payroll taxes make Ontario and Canada uncompetitive on goods and services.
The only way we can compete is a weak dollar, some advantage huh?

Yet consumers spend billions south of the border because it's too expensive in Canada, can't make this stuff up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 02SE

I hear your fellow Canadians bragging about 'Free' healthcare, and other social entitlements, regularly. You, are complaining about paying for those social entitlement programs. You come to the USA on buying sprees, to circumvent paying for those social entitlement programs back home, thus guaranteeing even higher prices to compensate for that lost revenue in your Country.

But you're welcome to spend your money in the USA. We appreciate it.
smile.gif

That's a good point. I'd throw in a pay your bills deadbeat comment in here, but it got taken the wrong way in another thread. Guess it boils down to how you view arbitrage when voting your wallet.

I guess the conspiracy is out now, that our healthcare and other public services are funded by inflated engine oil prices and the retail level.
lol.gif

I guess the conspiracy is out now, that our healthcare and other public services are funded by inflated engine oil prices and the retail level.
lol.gif

Well...since corporations are taxed-they are indeed passing on the taxes they pay through higher prices to consumers in your country.

So the questions is -is the OP representative of the entire population? Do others go out of their way to buy things in the U.S? Yet enjoy the benefits of your healthcare system?

Are they "skirting the system"?

A few years back when the $AUD was really strong, it was cheaper to import a crate motor (e.g. a Chev or Ford V8) from the US than it was to have an older engine rebuilt locally... Sadly, those times have passed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back