RANT - Hosed as a Canuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by StevieC
mad.gif

I'm tired of getting hosed by businesses here... If it's not bad enough paying higher prices, we get hosed our high sales taxes on-top of the hosing from business. So it compounds the hosing.

I'm due for Anode replacement in my water heater and I have a Bradford/White so the anode is incorporated in the hot water outlet and not separate as is the case for most other water heaters.

Anyway it's a specific magnesium rod I need and I see it online for $20-$25 USD ($26 - $32.50 CDN) for the model / length I need.
In Canada the least expensive is $55 ($42.31 USD), and most places in the US ship to the continental US for free or for a couple bucks. Shipping within my cities greater area from where the part is coming from is $15 CDN ($11.54 USD).

So I ended up ordering from a U.S. company that charges Canadian sales tax on shipments to Canada so that I don't get dinged with additional Customs & Brokerage (import fees) on top of this. (MORE HOSING!!!!!!)

Plus I pretended to leave the site first and got a VIP save 10% off coupon making the shipping to Canada almost free. (Cost me $2 USD in shipping)
(Ordered 2 rods because shipping was the same price for 1 or 2 rods)

So all in I got 2 rods for the price of 1 rod here plus $20. A savings of $55.00 CDN ($42.30 USD) (When shipping is also considered)

My rant is why do our businesses here always feel the need to "HOSE" our own. Do they not realize the internet exists?
smirk2.gif

Ok I'm done now... Happy Friday!

Steve

The population of Canada is approx 37M with a GDP of the State of Texas. The US has one the of the largest economies in the world, the USD is a reserve currency and almost all global transactions are conducted in USD. This large economy allows the US to continually finance budgetary shortfalls rather than raise taxes. As a result of this situation Americans are able to pay less for items which cost more in rest of the world.

Originally Posted by anndel
You're lucky. Most business ship free or a couple bucks to contiguous US but not to Hawaii or charges an arm and a leg to ship to Hawaii.

Yeah well you have a beautiful state with amazing weather so I don't feel sorry in comparison to our winters...
lol.gif

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
The population of Canada is approx 37M with a GDP of the State of Texas. The US has one the of the largest economies in the world, the USD is a reserve currency and almost all global transactions are conducted in USD. This large economy allows the US to continually finance budgetary shortfalls rather than raise taxes. As a result of this situation Americans are able to pay less for items which cost more in rest of the world.

Yes, however we are supposed to have free trade in most categories (which should be for the citizens as well), and they forget that the majority of our population lives within driving distance of the U.S. border, and the third point is the Internet now exists with couriers happy to move goods across the border so they need to get their $#!@ together and be more competitive.

Canada is a Social Democracy Welfare state. People that have money subsidize those that dont. Move to California illegally, its a sanctuary state and everything will be free and they wont kick you out.

Originally Posted by AZjeff

Maybe to help pay overhead costs for your free healthcare?

O/T but is "Canuck" offensive to you if I say it? Eh?

You know we have a hockey team called the Vancouver Canucks? It's absolutely not offensive.

And as for healthcare, it does come out of our taxes, but on a per capita basis, supposedly it's cheaper than the U.S. system, and apparently we live longer. I take this with a grain of salt:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_the_healthcare_systems_in_Canada_and_the_United_States

Originally Posted by saginawmale50
Canada is a Social Democracy Welfare state. People that have money subsidize those that dont. Move to California illegally, its a sanctuary state and everything will be free and they wont kick you out.

smirk2.gif
Fox News Watcher eh?

Originally Posted by OldSparks
Originally Posted by AZjeff

Maybe to help pay overhead costs for your free healthcare?

O/T but is "Canuck" offensive to you if I say it? Eh?

You know we have a hockey team called the Vancouver Canucks? It's absolutely not offensive.

And as for healthcare, it does come out of our taxes, but on a per capita basis, supposedly it's cheaper than the U.S. system, and apparently we live longer. I take this with a grain of salt:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_the_healthcare_systems_in_Canada_and_the_United_States

My brother (living in Boston) and I living in Canada sat down and figured this out as we make about the same income. I then compared it to our friends living in Ohio and per capita we are a bit lower when all taxes are considered.

Last edited:

Yes, however we are supposed to have free trade in most categories (which should be for the citizens as well), and they forget that the majority of our population lives within driving distance of the U.S. border, and the third point is the Internet now exists with couriers happy to move goods across the border so they need to get their $#!@ together and be more competitive.

The recent NAFTA dust-up resulted in de minimus being raised from $20 to $150, so thank you President Trump!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/de-minimis-duty-free-1.4845458

The recent NAFTA dust-up resulted in de minimus being raised from $20 to $150, so thank you President Trump!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/de-minimis-duty-free-1.4845458

I'd rather the old way if it meant that he was no longer.... Never mind better not go there. Don't want this locked.
45.gif

I have multiple relatives in USA, so I can use their home as a mailing address for stuff that is not a rush - waits until we visit.

Canada has 35 million people, so approximately 10% of USA. If you are marketing a product for all of North America, do you give the advantage to the largest market? Duh.

Canada has many things that make it special, and some issues that are embarrassing or just annoying. Don't like it? either work to improve it, or pack your bags.

Oh oh. Treading on politics. Be careful. The US has the worlds largest military. It has an annual budget of $800 B. Coincidently the annual budget deficit is $800 B. Say, you guys don't plan on attacking a country you owe money to, do you?

Last edited:

Don't want this locked.
45.gif

Agreed! I was trying for humour/irony with my comment...

cheers3.gif

Canada was looking great post-2008 recession but has tanked this decade. Canada is unusual because it is a developed western nation that is still heavily reliant on resource exploitation. There is no problem with this, until you want to have environmental policies that are similar to other western countries that are less dependent on natural resources.

Ontario is particularly bad because of the costs of energy, but all of Canada will suffer under the looming carbon tax. 2019 is pivotal for Canada.

There is a price to be paid on National Healthcare. Really not trying to get political-but after spending time on vacation in Canada-and going to a Walmart, the higher pricing was dramatic compared to the U.S.

Those (healthcare costs) have to paid for somehow.

Hey OP-I retired early, consequently I'm paying the FULL COST for my healthcare. You can private message me and you will be appalled with what I pay and the deductible before the plan actually kicks in.

I could do a "RANT thread" (and I'm sure others could) about how were getting hosed by Healthcare. And it's costs more than a couple of anode rods.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington
Canada was looking great post-2008 recession but has tanked this decade. Canada is unusual because it is a developed western nation that is still heavily reliant on resource exploitation. There is no problem with this, until you want to have environmental policies that are similar to other western countries that are less dependent on natural resources.

Ontario is particularly bad because of the costs of energy, but all of Canada will suffer under the looming carbon tax. 2019 is pivotal for Canada.

Good post Max, but notice the USA is ramping up their resource exports consisting of oil, LNG and coal. Always nice to get back to the basics to make a little extra cash.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by maxdustington

Yeah we need to get rid of our PM he's bad for the economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back