Range Rover L405 TD6 Oil

I recently acquired a very low mile 2016 RR TD6. It has had its oil changed every 3-4k miles and I’d like to keep up with over-maintaining it to keep the crankshaft bearings happy for years to come.

LR Time on YouTube makes a very good argument to use 5w-40, not 30, from an engineering standpoint.

Castrol Magnatec 5w-40 seems like a good option, C3/low ash. Stock C1 oil seems like it won’t protect enough.

Is there any reason not to go up to 40? Oil pump stress over time? Etc?

Oil pumps will always relieve excess pressure. Oil pump stress isn't a thing until you're running freezing cold 50 grade and redlining it. I switched from 0w-20 to 5w-40 in my 2021 gas truck. I run 15w-40 in my old gas trucks instead of 5w-30.

Thanks. I read somewhere (you know how the Internet can be) that the additional pressure might be a problem.

But to me, lower oil pressure with 5w-30 might be a cause for concern with those bearings.

I agree with your recommendation, the 5w-40 should not be a problem and should protect better. I would be curious as to what the RoW recommendations are.

I miss mine, I had a 2016 RR Td6 and loved it, but the DEF system became problematic and after a few "vehicle can only be driven 238 more miles..." I went to a P400 powered RR, but I do miss my diesel.

Wishing you better luck!

I agree with your recommendation, the 5w-40 should not be a problem and should protect better. I would be curious as to what the RoW recommendations are.

I miss mine, I had a 2016 RR Td6 and loved it, but the DEF system became problematic and after a few "vehicle can only be driven 238 more miles..." I went to a P400 powered RR, but I do miss my diesel.

Wishing you better luck!
Thanks! It did have a DEF flush recently.

I’m not knowledgeable enough on DEF. Any preventative tips for that?

That sounds like a good plan of action. Not to be mean but you will have plenty of other issues to keep you occupied with that vehicle then the oil type. The fact that you have the diesel and not the SC3.0 or SC5.0 is a saving grace so all you should have to worry about mainly is electrical issues, and air suspension problems. If you ever need help just hit me up as we service a lot of these and know them well.

That sounds like a good plan of action. Not to be mean but you will have plenty of other issues to keep you occupied with that vehicle then the oil type. The fact that you have the diesel and not the SC3.0 or SC5.0 is a saving grace so all you should have to worry about mainly is electrical issues, and air suspension problems. If you ever need help just hit me up as we service a lot of these and know them well.
How to spot a Jeep or RR driver hospitalized after a crash
Jeep owner in bed loving the Rx meds 😵‍💫 and nurse 👀
RR owner under the bed trying to see what’s wrong 😷

It is not the grade, it is HTHS. LR recommended FE oil, C1. Go C3, regardless of grade. Best choice would be Mobil1 ESP 5W30.
If you are dead set on C3 5W40, Motul X/Clean 5W40 GEN2 has HTHS of 3.9.
That’s pretty high on the Motul. Sounds like ESP is ~3.5 and no data on the Castrol Mag?

Got it. A diesel Sprinter owning friend also recommended Quartz Ineo C3.
Total is good, but Mobil1 ESP 5W30 is IMO best all around. Also, it is available at Auto Zone for $37 for 5qt.
You have Mobil1 ESP 0W30 that goes for $29 in Wal mart.
Motul X-Clean 0W30 EFE is also really good, but not sure it is worth that money compared to ESP.

Thanks! It did have a DEF flush recently.

I’m not knowledgeable enough on DEF. Any preventative tips for that?

As long as you keep AdBlue topped up and avoid buying AdBlue that is out of date or stored in direct sunlight you should be fine.

Next to Ravenol VMP and REP 5W-30. Except for the price tag (and availability in the US).

To not to distract the OP: Go for M1 ESP 5W-30 period. ;)(y)

There are sound reasons for using 5w40 in the 2.7 and 3.0 Lion diesels.

Not least is that the engine was specced for 5w40 by PSA Group

And the engine never had the reputation for poor reliability that the same engine had in JLR vehicles

The crazy 16k mile or 1 year Service Interval likely didn’t help, as they are affected by diesel contamination of the engine oil due to failed Regens.

Yes, I hear you. However the mentioned crankshaft bearings call for elevated HTHS
numbers.
VMP/REP with 3.7 mPas is way better than ~3.0 mPas. 3.7 mPas is XW-40 territory.

Yes, I hear you. However the mentioned crankshaft bearings call for elevated HTHS
numbers.
VMP/REP with 3.7 mPas is way better than ~3.0 mPas. 3.7 mPas is XW-40 territory.
Which is why I used 5w40 in my Jag X351 with the 3.0 Lion Diesel engine

Last I heard it was on over 250k with the original engine.

numbers.
Most XW40 oils today are 3.6 range, except Motul, Ravenol and some boutique oils like HPL, Redline.
So, going 40 is irrelevant if HTHS is similar to XW30. If engine is THAT sensitive, Motul X-Clean 5W40 GEN2 for the win.

Most XW40 oils today are 3.6 range, except Motul, Ravenol and some boutique oils like HPL, Redline.
So, going 40 is irrelevant if HTHS is similar to XW30. If engine is THAT sensitive, Motul X-Clean 5W40 GEN2 for the win.
What’s the HTHS of the Motul X Clean?

Back