Ram recalls 1.4 million trucks for tailgates that could pop open

Autoblog: Ram recalls 1.4 million trucks for tailgates that could pop open.
Glad they are doing something about this. Ours had this going on, you really had to slam the thing to get the "tailgate open" warning to turn off. Then it would stick closed and be a PITA to open. Fixed under warranty, they just realigned it and then it was perfect, but originally the tech couldn't "find the issue", had to go back a 2nd time. Ours is a VERY early build DT.

Glad they are doing something about this. Ours had this going on, you really had to slam the thing to get the "tailgate open" warning to turn off. Then it would stick closed and be a PITA to open. Fixed under warranty, they just realigned it and then it was perfect, but originally the tech couldn't "find the issue", had to go back a 2nd time. Ours is a VERY early build DT.

Good to know it's being taken care of. Would be a little hair-raising driving behind one with a loaded bed otherwise.

I recognize that @OVERKILL has been pretty happy with his truck, but my DT is probably the lowest-quality vehicle I have ever owned or worked on. Although the service writers at my local dealer are friendly and attentive, the work that comes out of their shop is sloppy at best. So, nothing about that truck surprises me anymore. :D

I recognize that @OVERKILL has been pretty happy with his truck, but my DT is probably the lowest-quality vehicle I have ever owned or worked on. Although the service writers at my local dealer are friendly and attentive, the work that comes out of their shop is sloppy at best. So, nothing about that truck surprises me anymore. :D
Yeah, you've had some funky issues with yours for sure! That oil cooler leak was something else.

Ours was, as I noted, a VERY early build truck, so we had a few TSB's early in its life for stuff that was fixed in production later on. Body mounts and brake caliper mounts are two that immediately come to mind. There were also several ECM and TCM updates. Fit and finish on the truck was very good though, everything lined up, paint is good quality, no squeaks or rattles.

That said, it does get used as a truck. Has a few scratches in the paint now (no dings though!) from going into the woods with it, it gets the ATV's put in the bed, it has hauled scrap, trees, bikes...etc. Was towing the boats regularly until we started to store them near the cottage. Seems to be handling this usage profile as one would expect a truck to. The in-floor bins are a wonderful feature, which is where I put the hitch, other bag of lug nuts and all our ratchet straps. We have the full rubber OE floor mats, which help keep the filth contained.

Probably biggest complaint about the RAM is getting the oil filter off, but that's mostly my fault, as I use the larger XG2 (FL-820S) size.

I've owned and worked on much, MUCH worse.

Yeah, you've had some funky issues with yours for sure! That oil cooler leak was something else.
It recently developed some front suspension noises. Re-torquing the L/F strut absorber fasteners and upper ball joint nut resolved them. 2 of the fasteners moved 1/8th of a turn, it was weird.

When the dealer removed the dash to perform the AC TSB, for unknown reasons, the wiring harness now blocks the cabin air filter door. I can workaround it, but....

Attachments

• 3E26F4CA-6F23-402D-BF51-A83544C3C161.jpeg
    3E26F4CA-6F23-402D-BF51-A83544C3C161.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 12
When the dealer removed the dash to perform the AC TSB, for unknown reasons, the wiring harness now blocks the cabin air filter door. I can workaround it, but....

Some mechanics make it real obvious where they've been working...

and some are so good at their job, you can't even tell they were ever in there. Everything is back where it's supposed to be.

Some mechanics make it real obvious where they've been working...

and some are so good at their job, you can't even tell they were ever in there. Everything is back where it's supposed to be.
Exactly. I feel really bad for @The Critic in terms of his interactions with his dealer, they have not been great :(

My F150 has a tailgate recall as well for “might open” as well. Our ford dealer here is notoriously bad, so I haven’t made a special trip up for this. I just make sure it’s closed securely, which is aided by both rubber “stops” falling out so that it closes without anything to dampen the motion.

Back