Honda recalls over 1.4 million U.S. vehicles

"Honda is recalling over 1.4 million vehicles in the U.S. to repair drive shafts that can break, window switches that can overheat and a software flaw"

Article here.

The software flaw one is weird:
A programming flaw in a control computer can cause the rear camera, turn signals and windshield wipers to malfunction.
It mentions three seemingly unrelated items, but somehow related through the control computer. Three separate programming bugs?

I’m not a computer or software engineer, but several software engineers on this forum can explain how a programming bug can cause issues with multiple components that seem unrelated.

The software flaw one is weird:

It mentions three seemingly unrelated items, but somehow related through the control computer. Three separate programming bugs?
They all function thru the BCM so perhaps there is a common trigger such as brake pedal input or something that triggers faults thru those systems.....I agree this is strange and unheard of. When I worked with GM software engineers, they always built in redunancy and other safegards as best as they could.

GM has had several instances where flawed software causes issues with other systems. Smartphones have unanticipated issues all the time after system updates. In fact, GM mentioned in a TSB within the last two years that vehicle on board computers are becoming more complex and a simple update can corrupt communication with other modules.
It’s an industry wide issue all the OEM’s are having to navigate.

Last edited:
Anybody else notice that Hondas and Toyotas keep getting cheaper looking and they are riding the coattails of their reliable engines?
You mean like Toyotas are starting to look like Imperial Stormtroopers? No I haven't noticed.

Attachments

• 20201216_130442.jpg
    20201216_130442.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 9
Anybody else notice that Hondas and Toyotas keep getting cheaper looking and they are riding the coattails of their reliable engines?
Im not really sure that I like any current Acura, Honda, Toyota, or Lexus since the GSs and TLX/TL of Ohhhh 2004.

Acura RL was kind of a "WTH is this" moment and the cars just lost appeal.

Sure, the new Accords fly like rocketship s but I'd rather get a 2005 or 2006 and roll the dice on the transmission than a new product. Though a Toyota Sequoia SUV looks good. (From smallest to largest: RAV4, Highlander, 4Runner, Sequoia, Land Cruiser.)

I've had a couple of newer model Hondas. It's a known thing that the systems closely tied together.

If a fuel injector fails it can trigger numerous warning signals on the dash that are totally unrelated to the injector. You need to read the code to identify the problem.

Just a low battery can do the same thing, about 80% of the people with dashes lighting up with every warning imaginable are due to low or failing batteries.

At least we aren't to the point yet where, when you push the power button, your car says "Working on updates... 1% complete"..
Well actually we are there. Over the air (OTA) updates are being used by several manufacturers now.

Japanese cars seem to be dropping their quality as fast as deemed possible.

Not sure about cheaper looking, but the build quality does seem to be worse. I have to give credit where it is due though, the driveshaft recall in the rust belt states is pretty cool, especially on vehicles as old as a 2007 Fit. Most manufacturers will tell you to go pound sand for any corrosion damage in a salt state on a 13 year old vehicle. My mom has a 2011 Fit with 90k miles, but it's garaged and rarely goes out in bad weather so I doubt it has issues.

Back