Ram changes the recommended oil on 2016 EcoDiesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
This type of thing happens a bit too often at FCA along with its predecessor company Chrysler/Jeep. Not wrong viscosity oil per say, but bringing something into the market without enough R/D.

I am not bashing but I made my mind up after the '97 3/4 ton Dodge I owned I would never own another, it doesn't seem to matter who owns them these type of things keep popping up.

I have a very good friend who is a retired engineer from Ford. One of his jobs with his team over the years was to completely disassemble a competitors car/truck and compare individual parts to what ford was using. His own words were Chrysler/Jeep parts had a much higher failure rate than anyone else, whether it was window regulators or knobs on the dash or electronics under the hood.

I am well aware they make some very nice looking vehicles currently, but with the unintended roll away investigation currently and the 1/2 ton diesel problems it just seems as much as things change they somehow stay the same.
In defence of the WK2, very little of the hardware is Crysler designed, Merc body, VM Motori motor, Merc/ZF gearbox, Bosch CAN. The only other time I recall when Chrysler produced good cars was when they teamed up with Mitsubishi. But that's off topic. Let's get back to oils. This has all the makings of a KFC debacle. Kentucky Fried Chicken changed its name to KFC. They thought some customers were turned off by the bad health implications of "Fried". Keeping the reason a secret ensured that everyone was alerted to KFC thinking fried food is bad. By FCA keeping the reason for the viscosity upgrade a secret, they are ensuring that everyone will consider the brilliant VM Motori a flawed engine. Bad move Chrysler! Come clean!

This type of thing happens a bit too often at FCA along with its predecessor company Chrysler/Jeep. Not wrong viscosity oil per say, but bringing something into the market without enough R/D.

I am not bashing but I made my mind up after the '97 3/4 ton Dodge I owned I would never own another, it doesn't seem to matter who owns them these type of things keep popping up.

I have a very good friend who is a retired engineer from Ford. One of his jobs with his team over the years was to completely disassemble a competitors car/truck and compare individual parts to what ford was using. His own words were Chrysler/Jeep parts had a much higher failure rate than anyone else, whether it was window regulators or knobs on the dash or electronics under the hood.

I am well aware they make some very nice looking vehicles currently, but with the unintended roll away investigation currently and the 1/2 ton diesel problems it just seems as much as things change they somehow stay the same.

I'm going to guess they never took apart a Cummins engine and compared it to their Powerstroke.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

I'm going to guess they never took apart a Cummins engine and compared it to their Powerstroke.
That was the only thing Dodge had. I don't think I've ever heard someone say they bought a diesel Dodge because of the any other reason than it has a Cummins.

LOL that might be an eye opener, a real eye opener.

Originally Posted By: hatt

That was the only thing Dodge had. I don't think I've ever heard someone say they bought a diesel Dodge because of the any other reason than it has a Cummins.
Let me be the first-my kids were (& are) too big to fit in an extended or crew cab, so I bought a Mega Cab Ram, traded in my '02 Quad Cab Cummins. I still wish I had held out for a 6 speed instead of the 48RE-but it was a good enough deal that I couldn't pass it up.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Let me be the first-my kids were (& are) too big to fit in an extended or crew cab, so I bought a Mega Cab Ram, traded in my '02 Quad Cab Cummins. I still wish I had held out for a 6 speed instead of the 48RE-but it was a good enough deal that I couldn't pass it up.
You guys are absolutely huge. I'm 6'9 and I can sit behind me in my F150 or my old 06 F350.

There's more than that.

Being a Ford owner, I gave the Super Duty a chance. The two most disappointing things about that truck (not Cummins related) were the non-folding rear seats, and how the truck drove. Felt way too much like driving a school bus. Probably because Ford still had a leaf spring front end at the time, while Ram had already gone to coil springs and 4-link.

That alone is why I have not considered a Dodge diesel. I have a history with Cummins on a commercial level, and I probably will never buy a Cummins again in any platform.

Don't mean to be a grouch but, while it's interesting, how about you guys with the love/hate relationship with the Cummins, take it to a new thread?

We have, at work, a Cummins ISB in a 1999 Freightliner truck with a gross weight of 30k lbs. It has not had an easy life with the heavy truck behind it but it currently has 13000 hrs on it and is still running strong, with few issues.

The engine is not very oil tight, the entire bottom of the engine has a film of oil on it.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

That alone is why I have not considered a Dodge diesel. I have a history with Cummins on a commercial level, and I probably will never buy a Cummins again in any platform.
I've always thought the Cummins was the best light truck diesel engine. Could have been a lot of hype. The only one I've ever owned was the PSD 6.0. That one certainly fell short. My neighbor had a late 90s Dodge Cummins. That thing seemed to be broke down all the time. He loved it. Kinda like my uncle and his Harley. Said it was the worst machine he's ever owned and he'd never get rid of it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Rotella has much higher SAPS level, and if it was specd. for passenger vehicles it would be high SAPS oil since SA is at 1%.

What's the SA level of Pennzoil Euro L 5w-30?

The SA of Pennzoil EuroL is .6%

Last edited:

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Rotella has much higher SAPS level, and if it was specd. for passenger vehicles it would be high SAPS oil since SA is at 1%.

The SA of Pennzoil EuroL is .6%
So, if you are going to have DPF problems, you will have 67% sooner with Rotella than with Pennzoil EuroL.

Sounds like the aftermarket needs to work on DPF delete programming, then any HDEO could be used in it. While they're at it, figure out a way to convert it to a manual transmission as well. Too many mistakes by FCA on the Ecodiesels, they've got a way to go to catch up with the Olds 350 powered Chevy/GMC 1500s for worst diesel pickup ever-but they're definitely working on it. Amazing how light duty diesel pickups, SUVs, & cars in the REST of the world are available with manuals, not overly complex fragile automatics!

Last edited:
You guys are absolutely huge. I'm 6'9 and I can sit behind me in my F150 or my old 06 F350.
I'm 6'5", but the big problem with the '02 quad was how uncomfortable (straight up & down) the rear seat backs were, the legroom was marginal, but I got tired of hearing all the complaining on long trips/vacations.

Originally Posted By: BobT3218
Quattro Pete said:
edyvw said:

Only if you burn oil...

I own a 2016 Jeep GC with the Ecodiesel engine. The upgrade to 5w40 is only for 2016 models(don't know why) but the main upgrade is a reflash of the TCM to downshift quicker to minimize engine lugging. Engine lugging was causing chatter in the main bearings causing a few engine failures but not across the board. The ZF 8 speed is the same transmission as in the Audi RS series so it no slouch. The 2014-2015 shifter issues have been replaced with a std, gate shifter and is much improved. I'm getting 34 mpg doing 70 on the highway (hand calculated).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobT3218
Quattro Pete said:
edyvw said:

Only if you burn oil...

I own a 2016 Jeep GC with the Ecodiesel engine. The upgrade to 5w40 is only for 2016 models(don't know why) but the main upgrade is a reflash of the TCM to downshift quicker to minimize engine lugging. Engine lugging was causing chatter in the main bearings causing a few engine failures but not across the board. The ZF 8 speed is the same transmission as in the Audi RS series so it no slouch. The 2014-2015 shifter issues have been replaced with a std, gate shifter and is much improved. I'm getting 34 mpg doing 70 on the highway (hand calculated).
Where's the thanks button on this blog?

While they're at it, figure out a way to convert it to a manual transmission as well. Amazing how light duty diesel pickups, SUVs, & cars in the REST of the world are available with manuals, not overly complex fragile automatics!

Even a higher majority of commercial heavy trucks are going to automatic or automated manual transmissions now. Some folks just don't like playing with a gear shift. I am at that stage in life where I don't want to manual shift anything. I even have hydrostatic transmissions in my tractor and other equipment. Still got a manual 18 speed in my heavy truck, but that most likely will not be the case next go around. Gonna be hard to convince me that automatics are fragile from this video.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5svkrWrl-RM

The reason why manuals are disappearing from the 1 and 3/4 tons is because there isn't an equivalent that can take the power and load available to them.

The manuals are the fragile ones.

Ram still offers the G56, but it can't stand up to the diesel Max Tow engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back